• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA-12 Alternator STC/PA-18 alternator question

glassjet

Wasilla, AK
I have a 1975 PA-18 that I would like to convert to a lightweight alternator... I have a friend who wants my stock alternator/regulator for his PA-12.... What is the latest and greatest alternator for a PA-18 ? And... Does anyone know where I can find STC paperwork to put my 18 alterator/regulator and put it on the 12?

pa-12 alternator stc/pa-18 alternator question

b&c's setup for the supercub,they have a newly approved 40 amp.
check with crosswind for the motorola 35 amp stc,not sure on which setup your pulling off the supercub.

jr.

I just put a B&C SD-20 on a PA-18, its a 20 AMP and mounts on the vacuum pad drive. I am putting that or an SD-8 on my own .

LR3C-14 (14 volt)

Click for description
Used on all externally regulated 14V alternators using circuit type "B" (one field lead grounded directly.) For homebuilt use only.
Price: $ 228.00
Stock #: LR3C-14
Qty:

L-40 Alternator (Boss Mount)

Click picture for description
L-40 ALTERNATORS ARE OUT OF STOCK UNTIL MIDDLE OF DECEMBER!!!

Mounts on the machined pad on the bottom of the engine opposite the starter uses a "U" shape bracket and two 5/16" national course bolts. FOR EXPERIMENTAL AIRCRAFT ONLY NOT STC'd

For installation instructions Click Here

Price: $ 409.00
Stock #: L-40
Qty:

This is the HOT set up along with a B&C starter and light weight oil cooler.
This alternator and regulator is STCd now for the 18 not sure about the 12
Dave

Bearsnack,

what clearance did you have with the 20? I did not have 9 inches behind the motor that B&C said it took to install. How much trouble did you have?

Clearance between the firewall and alternator is just shy of an inch. I made a hole in the firewall for the plug in the back of the alternator.
The installation was very easy. I also like it because there is no wiring going to the front of the engine, no belt, and no bracket mount to worry about. It is also lighter, exactly how much I do not know.
There is another thread that ran last month I beleive where I talked alot about this installation.

If you run an oil screen, the SD-20 is a pain to work around. I will not do the SD-20 again. Too much hassel for what little gain you get. Crash

Back