• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Harold Krier Museum

jnorris

Wisconsin
Confreres,

Has anyone ever flown into Ashland, KS to visit the Harold Krier Museum? I'm wondering if there's transportation available to get from the airport to the museum and back. Also, anything else (good or bad) about the stop. Any info would be appreciated!

Cheers!

Joe

I haven't flow in to Ashland, but did visit the museum a couple years ago on a two-lane road adventure. We're in the habit of stopping in on small town museums every chance we get. Some are good, some forgettable.

The museum is primarily a pretty decent County museum, some good photos from the late 19th/early 20th century. Although the well-to-do are well documented, as is typical, theres some decent accounts of the ranch and farm life and people of the time.

There's a wing of the museum dedicated to local hero, Hal Krier, including his unique biplane (which I had the privilege so see perform in a land far ago and long, long away). Quite a bit of aviation memorabilia.

The aerodrome is only a mile or so south of town. Don't know if there's a courtesy car (typically there is in that region), but wouldn't be a bad walk to town.

If you're in the area, should also see the Mid-America Air Museum in Liberal, which has lots of military stuff, including decent examples of Piper, Aeronca, Taylorcraft, and Stinson WWII Liason aircraft, for comparison. Quite a few experimentals, and some jets through Vietnam era. It's right on the aerodrome, and has expanded quite a bit since I used to fly in there on business.

Thanks. cubscout

There is no courtesy car at Ashland and the airport is unattended. The city keeps the bathroom/lounge area locked up most of the time.

Marc Krier (Harold's nefew, i think) is a member or this board and just finished a rebuild on a Cub that is hangared in Ashland.

I live close by (Mej area) and would try to make some ground transport available if you decide to come this way. The Air Museum in Liberal (LBL) is very worthwhile and would be a good choice to include on your trip. The Air Museum is right on the airport (south ramp).

Bring some friends and we will do some hambergers on the grill at Meade.

Harold Krier museum

jnorris,
Ashland is a wonderful place to visit and it's aviation heritage is rich. We boast two sod runways that are always inviting to taildraggers and an aerobatic box west of the airport, bring your parachutes. Marc is indeed a nephew of Harold and flys a beautiful '49 Supercub.
I would shuttle anyone around our town if they want to see the sights, just pm me and I can give my number to call when you land.

Ashland, Kansas... Transprotation...

Jnorris, Check Your PM... I thought I would let everyone on the site know what a great place Ashland, Is. And what a great Person Marc Krier is. I have done Marc's Annuals on His original Clipped Wing Cub, the return to service on his '49 PA-18. If you ever get to Ashland and the Hal Krier Museum, it is a tribute to the Man and His accomplishments. Marc Loves to tell of His uncle's many accomplishments and Championships... I think there may be a couple of pictures of Marc's '49 SuperCub on this site... If I can find them I'll make a link to them...
To All the Supercub.org Group, Merry Christmas to all and Have a Prosperous New Year...
Champdriver

Re: Ashland, Kansas... Transprotation...

Champdriver said:
Jnorris, Check Your PM...

Hi Champdriver,

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. Thanks to all who offered info on Ashland. Hopefully we'll be able to make the trip!

Merry Christmas to all!!

Joe

I found this slide among my Grandpa's stuff. Is this one of their's??

Great%20Lakes%20Special%20-%20Kier%20Bros%20-%20N21E.JPG

Here's a whole collection of old pics.
http://rcsunlimited.com/images/PhotoAlbum.asp?ShowSub=AirShow Pics

rcsimpson said:
I found this slide among my Grandpa's stuff. Is this one of their's??

Yep, that's Harold's Great Lakes. According to the FAA database, it's now owned by Larry Krier, of Ashland, KS.

That airplane is one reason why I'm building a Warner powered Great Lakes right now!! :)

Thanks,

Joe

Back