• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Avid Magnum

LT

Port Townsend, WA
The Avid Magnum is one experimental that is often compared to Supercubs in performance. The specs are pretty close. The undercambered Avid STOL wing offers a high lift co-efficient, but it's a flaperon airplane. Anybody out there flown in one or done a side by side comparison? Is it a viable poor man's Supercub replacement?

I've flown several variations of the magnum.... 180 hp, 150 hp, both excellent in the climb department. They have excellent visibility. They come off the ground short. They have a very large baggage area. But having flaperons that are just short of worthless as flaps, they are not a short field landing machine at all.. VERY lucky to get them in in under 800 ft... they are getting very difficult to get parts for with no support...
Joe

Sometime ago(early '90's??) when Avid was in town showing off their Avid. Bill Firmin, a couple of others and I ran into the Avid guy at Lake Hood strip. It was in May and I was trying to get the Avid guy to go to the Gulkana airshow, on his way out of Ak. While he was explaining his schedule would prohibit such a visit, a common PA-18(airstreaks/150 or 160hp) rolled out on the strip, for an intersection North. We all were watching. The cub was off in a short distance. While the cub was climbing out, Firmin turns to the Avid guy, pointing to the Avid, nodding toward the cub and asked 'will this do that?' The Avid guy meekly admitted 'no' and Firmin replys 'that is what the people want'.

Pete

Used to be one in my area, just saw it fly around the patch so never knew if it was a poser or the real deal. They dont look rugged enough for sandbars and other assorted stuff that hunters and fisherman do. The guy has a Husky now, if that means anything.

We saw this guy at OSH in his red and white experimental. I think he was having more fun than anybody there. Looks like a farmer but is Mechanical Engineer.

LT - That is a similar question to what many of us have been asking: What is the best alternative to the supercub while keeping the cost down-

The answer is: There is nothing like a supercub - especially if you want to keep the cost down.

But don't be discouraged.

Personally, I think many of us can get by without supercub performance- but the supercub sets the standard, therefore you will often hear the statement "Will do almost anything a supercub will do!"

I think a lot of airplanes will compare favorably untill loaded heavy- or in high elevations, thats when the supercub really shines- but there are some airplanes that are pretty impressive for a little less money- Mauls, Super Stinsons, Super Pacers, Pa12, Pa,14, - Then your Taylorcrafts and Champs and I guess some of the experimentals like the Wagero Cubby,(Best choice?) Just Highlander, Avid Flyer and Kitfox and etc do well but there doesnt seem to be much that will perform just like a cub for less money unless I am missing something- but you could probobly get a real Dandy Poor mans cub for between 25K and 50K or even a 100hp T craft for under 20k- of course you probobly know all of this but just wanted you to know you are not alone-

disclaimer: This is not an exhustive discourse and of course ther is the Husky and the occasional 150 hp Taylorcraft etc and all of the others...

Wade

Back