• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Width of Super Cub on 3" extended gear and 31" Bus

Steve Pierce

BENEFACTOR
Graham, TX
Gotta pickup a Super Cub on 3" extended gear and 31" Bush Wheels with a trailer and wondered what the width is. I might need to take something to accommodate the extra width if it won't fit on my trailer.

Steve-

I had to fit my J-5 in a tight space, similar to your dilemma.

I made a couple of steel cables up so that it pulled the gear in closer. I took the cabane off, ran the cable from the bolt on the gear attach bracket (where the cabane hooks) across to the rear axel attach bracket (where the strut hooks on the gear leg). Makes the plane taller but it brings the gear in. JUst make sure your cables are the same length.

Tim

Steve I measured my cub last week and I think it was 7 ft from center line of the 31' tires but I'll go and confirm that.

Steve, with 31" BW's on, it is 90", outside of tread. I didn't want to take my wheels off yet so I could use them to manuever the fuselage through my shop door. It was too wide for the siderails on my trailer, so I through-bolted two 2"X12"'s. cantalevered off the back of the trailer. Then one 2"X4"X8' across the back of the trailer. After I rolled the fuselage on, tail forward, I through-bolted another 2"X4" across, behind the tires. Then I strapped the whole thing down to the trailer. Worked great for the slow, 8-mile trip home, but think I could have hauled it to your place with no trouble.

Thanks guys. Threw some 10' 2x12s on the trailer and we are off to Rotan. I'm sure we will get some funny looks on the way back. 8)

I should add that all this was with the engine removed. There was very little weight extended past the rear of the trailer.

Trailer

Steve
That problem is why Scot and I had this trailer made. If it was down there you could use it. Maybe next time.
This is Lances cub on standard gear. Trailer is 8 feet wide.
Mark
N9047Y_499.jpg
N9047Y_498.jpg
N9047Y_497.jpg

I hauled my (non-Cub) airplane on a trailer. The width was just enough to get both mains on. The length was what came up short- the tail hung off the aft end of the trailer by quite a ways. We put a couple milk-crates (well-padded) under the tailcone at a bulkhead, as far aft as we could get it. It trailerer OK, but I was nervous the whole trip because we couldn't really cinch down the aft end very well. I suppose we could have cantilevered a plank or something off the back of the trailer but that didn't seem too good either. I was jealous later when the same trailer was used to haul a Pacer-- they just rolled the airplane up there and tied the tailwheel down, no sweat! Secured the front end just like mine, by the motor mount.

Rooster

We got it. Will post some pics tomorrow if I get a hanger pass. Si and I had a good trip to Rotan. Murph picked his engineless SC up with the fork lift and I backed the trailer underneath. We used styrafoam blocks under the tail since my trailer is to short. Let some air out of the Bush Wheels and they fit great. Wings on the wing rack on the top of my truck with the help of Murph, Jose, Leonardo and Si was a little tricky but doable. Saw the scene of the crime. Shrapnel everywhere. Murph was in good spirits especially considering we just disassembled his favorite toy. Now to get the sheet metal and fabric fixed.

Mark, Everytime I have to haul one I say I am going to build a trailer like that. I have yet to get around to it but it would sure be handy.

Rooster, I know what you mean. Hauled Clippers from Idaho and New Jersey and the fit on my standard 16' trailer on a tail stand with the wings on foam underneath. Way to easy.

Back