Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Mags, electronic ignitions, and tires

Post Thanks / Like

Mags, electronic ignitions, and tires

I've just read Steve Ells' aircraft maintenance article in this month's AOPA Pilot. Based on his piece, it's time for me to overhaul the mags and start shopping for new tires.

First, is there concensus that mags should be overhauled after 500 hrs TIS? Second, what shops can be recommended (and which should be avoided). Third, is anyone using electronic ignition in the Cub (I don't know if this is STC'ed - I'm assuming it is)?

Finally, assuming I replace the 8.5 x 6s with the same thing, are any manufacturers preferred?
    Speedo

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't read the article but it is a comon practise on Slick mags. Anybody with the proper tools can tune up the Slicks. Set e-gap, clean carbon and inspect everything. Have had to replace one and made a lot a whole lot easier to start. I will look for the article.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone STC'd an electronic ignition for standard category cubs yet?

murph

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep,
    Lasar Electronic Ignition by Unison is STCed for some engines.
    Light Speed is another, not sure if they are STCed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tune-up (clean/inspect, file points, set gap/e-gap,re-time to engine) after 500 hours TIS is not a bad idea, but they may not need it either. But a mag tune-up is not the same as a mag overhaul. A mag overhaul after 500 hours is a whole 'nother show-- I feel that mags installed on a fresh engine should go to engine TBO before needing OH.

Rooster

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a set of early slicks go 2000 hours. Took them off when I started to feel guilty. Both still work fine. Now have S-4s that have to be checked at 500 hour intervals.

Post Thanks / Like
    delete

Post Thanks / Like
    Can someone give me the pros and cons of electronic ignitions? They sure work good on my pickup and Harley. If I could get some extra juice outta my cub, I'd like that too.

murph

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Randy,

I have wondered the same thing. Would you leave one mag still on for hand propin. By the way that pod looks nice,you might ought to watch your loader boys though, they might get out a can of flow orange spray paint!
    You do know how certain people paint everything hang'in under stuff orange. You done any good deer hunt'in?

Post Thanks / Like
    Howdy Bayne,

I don't know how to operate the electronic ignition, but I guess I didn't know how to operate the other one either.

We haven't done any hunting yet. We usually don't shoot anything unless he's exceptional. But we burn lots of firewood and meat. Soemtimes we mix in adult beverages and BS.

You and Jerry need to come up and visit after the first of the years.

murph

Post Thanks / Like
    A local guy just got his GlasStar flying behind an O-360 with dual electronic ignition. Requires two complete,independent electrical systems for redundancy. And I mean complete-- alternator, regulator, battery,etc. He runs one regular alternator, and another smaller one (B&C?) off the vacuum pump pad. Heavy, and a pain in the ass.
    If it was me, I'd have one electronic ignition and a single electrical system, with a mag for backup. Or maybe just 2 mags- then you don't need electrics at all. Simpler is better.

Rooster

Post Thanks / Like
    Mechanic in Columbus MT has installed two sets of LASAR electronic ignition in Super Cubs. They have the bush kit so you can hand start if you have to. I see in their price list they have a LASAR Bush Magneto.
    http://www.unisonindustries.com/pdf/...g/L-1525-D.pdf

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote="kase"]Mechanic in Columbus MT has installed two sets of LASAR electronic ignition in Super Cubs. They have the bush kit so you can hand start if you have to. I see in their price list they have a LASAR Bush Magneto.
    http://www.unisonindustries.com/pdf/...g/L-1525-D.pdf[/quote

Can we get a consumer report?

Post Thanks / Like
    Ditto!

Post Thanks / Like
    I installed the Lazar when they first came out on a 180 hp Piper Archer and have been maintaining it almost ever since. It is two mags with a control box that senses manifold pressure, rpm and CHT and adjust the timing accordingly. If you loose electrical power it runs on the normal mag. The problem is there is no impulse coupling so it won't start if you don't have at least 10 volts. The "Bush Kit" has an impulse if I am not mistaken. The engine runs smoother to me, don't know if it makes more power. You have to have a special timing box to time it and if your battery does die you have to pull the circuit breaker and turn the engine over a couple of times to turn it back on. You have a box that fastens to the firewall and MP, CHT leads. It picks the RPM up off the mag.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    would you put one on the cub????????????

working remote areas?
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't. Too much junk on the engine and firewall for me. Plus the availability of the mags and the timing box. You can get them but not as common as standard Slick or Bendix.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Installation is as Steve says. Control box was mounted in the cockpit side of the firewall. Installed in a 160 cub with no starter so he hand starts it everytime. Has a small battery and a B&C 8 amp alt for the radio and nav lights.

I flew the 180 cub that has it and I assume it works. It went up and down and ran smooth. He had a dead battery one day and he started it by hand also.

Both owners say their fuel consumption went down.