• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Lacing the vert fin ?

jon

wisconsin
My Smith cub fuselage is ready for tapes, is lacing the tail nessary.
After looking at many certified cubs some lace the top rib, some
lace both ribs and some have no lacing. Any suggestions.

Jon

J-3 thru PA18-95 were laced as John posted. PA18-105 thru 150 have 4 stitches on the top rib. 4" from the rudder post, spaced 4" apart.

Vertical_Stabilizer1.jpg

I keep my Cub original, sort-of. The first time I did it, the standard pair of stitches pulled out almost immediately. Second time I doubled up on everything - fabric, reinforcements, and stitches. Still pulled out. Last time it was drilled aluminum washers about 1" in diameter with rounded edges over a double fabric layer, stitched with .032 stainless. Still pulled out, and the washers and stainless stitches are still in there.

Doesn't seem to affect flying characteristics at all. I guess it is the giant slips that pulls them out.

Thanks for the info. gentlemen. Bob, what happened to your cub is what
I have seen on other aircraft. With a 180 up front I just do not
see much hope for the lacing. Steve, can you think of any
problems with leaving it unlaced. Thanks,

Jon

I am told it will ballon out but have never seen it happen. Have a PA16 in the shop now with a recent recover and no stitches. We are planning on stitching it. Never had them pull through.

Bob, any ideas why?

I've never been able to tell any difference in flying them when the fins are stitched or not. I'd go with about 8 or more stitches on the upper rib, more won't hurt anything, and I've seen 4 break. If nothing else, the stitching will keep the fabric from drumming a little, and hopefully the finish from cracking at the edges of the fin.

I've switched to Superflite's flat cord, much stronger than stits. Stop over at the hanger and I'll give you a couple yards to use on your fin if you want to try it.

Mine always pull out, but I only use two. I do one giant slip every time I fly, which is about 180 days a year. The safety wire/aluminum washer arrangement pulled out after about five years, with a C-65. Been flying with no stitches since then, and no cracks. That is about 19 years of stitch-free flying.

Mr. Dart, do C.C. use heavy duty fabric on the fuselage? Jim & Dondi
Miller at Aircraft Tech. Support recommended it, but not required.
Just wondering if that is why C.C. do not lace. With the H.D. fabric
it appears to be very stout without lacing, and looks better.
Do most cubs use the H.D. fabric ?

Jon

laceing

I lace the vertical on the top rib only like mr. Piper but I sew it like I would wing ribs in the prop wash area. every 2.5" looks great & i havent ever blown out stitches even with the 180hp .

Back