• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA 18 Elevator bell crank

Glenn5ft19

My Wag Drawings use a push pull tube and bellcrank where as PA 18 drawings show a cable pulley set up attached to the torque tube. Did piper ever use a push pull tube and bell crank on a PA 18 and if so why the change?

The WagAero drawings are not of a PA-18 fuselage, it is like a J3 or PA-11. I think the reason Piper changed to a cable and pulley system on the PA-18 was to give more room behind the rear seat for the baggage area.

Clyde

There is an stc for turning the j-3 bellcrank horizontally to clear the supercub baggage, I believe it is Atlee Dodge. It works fine and eliminates the 180 degree turn in the elevator cable, which could be a problem area over time.
Tim

I would modify it to the PA18 configuration. The 180 degree turn is no problem what's so ever. it's been in use in PA18's since 1949.

John

Thanks, for the input The PA 18 looks like a much cleaner solution and there doesn't seem to be any negatives. As long as stick feedback is good I think I'll go that way.
Glenn

On the topic of elevators, today we noticed that the elevator on a PA12 was spring loaded to remain/ or center itself , neutral. I'm not aware that our PA18's are to be set up like this.If we lower or raise our elevators they remain in that position.( Inside the hangar , not talking about in flight). What are we missing?
Thanks Ron

Cubunltd wrote " The 180 degree turn is no problem what's so ever. it's been in use in PA18's since 1949."
I would like to refer you to the SuperCub 2 Hardcore video in which they warn of this potential problem area. They state that Cole Ellis experienced an elevator controll cable failure during flight, in this very area. Since this is a difficult area to inspect they recomend an inspection cover in this area. Might be something to keep an eye on.
Tim

Rather have that cable fail than the tourque tube to the bell crank. Even if the cable does brake when it makes the 180 degree turn you can trim it full nose down and pull on the stick for elevator control.

If your IA can't find that the cable is worn during an annual......??? It does not take long to pull the pulley cover off and run a rag over the cable.

Tim

Back