Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 206 ski choice

Post Thanks / Like

206 ski choice

Not a cub question but which choice of wheel/skis is the prefered for Cessna U206's?

Post Thanks / Like
    No such thing, actually .

There are a couple choices I'm aware of:

1) Fluidyne 3600's on the mains, and a penetration ski on the nose

2) Fli Lite 4000's on the mains, and a Fli Lite nose ski on the nose gear.

Number 1 doesn't give you much floatation, and if the nose ski isn't designed and rigged just right, it'll be your worst nightmare. I flew one rigged like that once, and every time you settled in, the nose ski would slam over to the right or left stop, since the portion of the ski forward of the axle was longer than the portion aft of the ski. Duh. I think that was a Schnieder, but it's been a while. This is simply a world class way to get bad stuck, and that airplane was rescued so many times we finally took it off the skis and gave up.

Number 2 works really pretty well. Jay Hudson has a TU 206 rigged like this in Talkeetna, and regularly flies the mountain with it. The skis work well, and floatation is pretty good for such a big airplane.

Two problems with this rigging: Gross weight is legally restricted to 3350 pounds on the 206 with these skis. and: They are really hard to find and expensive skis.

The 206 when fairly empty is always nose heavy. Add a big herky ski up there, and its really nose heavy. You will always have to carry a good bit of weight in the back (as in far back) of the plane to at least help with this. This isn't a runway thing, its' a "getting stuck trying to turn around on skis" thing. Keep the weight balanced, and the 206 will turn around in some pretty tight spots. Don't and it won't.

Watch the weight, though, especially if you're trying to operate commercial.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for that.

Any experience with the Schneider wheel/ski 2000-18 on the nose and 4000-190 on the mains?

These kind of a poormans wheel ski I assume.

Post Thanks / Like
    The nose ski I referred to was the schnieder penetration ski you refer to. It was designed as a main ski, but then adapted as a nose ski. Maybe you could figure out an extension of the rear to keep the thing from going whacko on landing, but to me it was unsafe as installed. Maybe it wasn't installed right, I suppose, but I doubt it.

Penetration ski is a little clearer terminology, to sort them mentally from hydraulic retractable skis.

Other than the miserable performance of the nose ski previously referenced, I have no experience with penetration skis on a 206.

My guess is, however, I'd stay out of deep snow, unless you really like winter camping.

The Schnieders are heavy as well, so figure out what you're losing on W &B.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    There are also Kehler skis for the 206. They are out of Winnipeg, Manitoba. I've got a picture somewhere and Mel's phone number in the shop if you're interested.

Cheers,
    Wayne

Post Thanks / Like
    Mark,
    I think that the guys in Soldotna next to MARC aviation (Natron Air, I think) used a ski equipped 206 for trips over to the lakes area west of Iliamna. You might give them a call.

Alex

Post Thanks / Like

Skis

I call those airplanes the Cessna winter campers.