• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Throttle cable

Ron B.

Yarmouth, Nova Scotia
We could use some help in determining the correct throttle control cable used in the Smith's two door wide body cub ( I doubt wide body changes anything?).We could also use a part number for a standard single door cub (that's where the we come in, we are building two cubs, one each). We can make something work but prefer the standard hardware, if we can determine what that is, not that it has to be certified parts , just the standard type i.e. ends , size and construction.
Thanks again , someday I hope to know enough about a Super Cub to help someone else.
Ron

I would go with a PA-12 throttle cable if you're using an O-360 to power it. The carb. is larger on the O-360 and sets a little lower. Just enough to stretch a standard PA-18 to it's limit. Been there done that! Crash

Thanks Crash , second person with the same advise, we'll go with that.
Ron

I was flying a Super Cub last week that the throttle was kinda stiff. Its a new Univiar cable and appears to be installed correctly. The friction washers are not to tight. I was wondering if anybody else runs into this and or should the throttle cable be lubed and if so with what?

THROTTLE CABLE

I'M BUILDING A SMITH WIDE BODY WITH 0-360 AND WONDERED IF ANY ONE HAS USED THE j-3 54" THROTTLE CABLE FROM WAG AERO ($85.00)
OR DO I HAVE TO USE CABLE FROM UNIVAIR AT $300.00

I've got a throttle cable for a Snapper lawn mower that will do just as good as anything from brand "W". :eek: :lol:

John Scott

kase said:
I was flying a Super Cub last week that the throttle was kinda stiff. Its a new Univiar cable and appears to be installed correctly. The friction washers are not to tight. I was wondering if anybody else runs into this and or should the throttle cable be lubed and if so with what?

Cable routing and alignment (engine mount to carb linkage) can make all the difference.

Re: THROTTLE CABLE

D.CUB NUT said:
I'M BUILDING A SMITH WIDE BODY WITH 0-360 AND WONDERED IF ANY ONE HAS USED THE j-3 54" THROTTLE CABLE FROM WAG AERO ($85.00)
OR DO I HAVE TO USE CABLE FROM UNIVAIR AT $300.00

It's a tad shorter than a factory 12 cable but is of good quality. I have used it. I added additional conduit supports in the form of cushion clamps to insure no slipping. It worked out great. Buy the one they say is for a 12, I think the PMA stamp says or j3 as well.

Guys.....

Just call Nick and ask him. I am sure he will tell you which cable is correct, and probably the least expensive as well.

Mike

Fortysix;
My advice, don't use cushioned clamps on a throttle. Use metal to metal.
With the cushion, the outer housing will move.

Tryed both Nic and Wayne, just got answering machines. I'll try again later.
Ron

Back