• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Jury strut

Ron B.

Yarmouth, Nova Scotia
I have Smith wings and the jury strut tabs (under the wing) are both outboard of their prospective spars. I'm told that the certified cub wings have their mounting tabs inboard . These Smith tabs being outboard make our certified jury struts a little short, therefore we cannot get a perfect fit. We'll have to purchase the stock and custom cut to meet our needs.
Do all Smith wings have this problem , or just ours ( two sets)?
Ron

I copied the certified jury strut lenghts to build my jury struts.... work fine and the lift stuts have no bow in them... If I remember right, fronts are shorter than the rears by just a little.. Joe

"Experimental" Just like rutans spaceshipone? It's a d--m miracle Mike Melville got back in one piece in one of those "experimental" jobs wired together with stuff probably bought on ebay. Parts sold by some trueblue certified aircraft owner laughing about selling it to some "experimental idiot". Reckon Orville and Wilbur did any "experimenting"? The racers in the 30's were pretty good "experimenters". Steve Wittmans "experimental" spring rod landing gear ended up on a whole lot of cessnas. Better tell cessna they have "experimental" parts on their planes and need to ground the fleet. "Experimental"? Seems like pretty good company to me.

Experimental as in a $200K professionally built Murphy Moose splattered all over a busy Anchorage Mall parking lot last month, with two high time professional pilots at the controls. Prop went into reverse pitch. Lucky they didn't get killed or kill a family with a bunch of little kids on the ground.

A guy built a Rans 7 here. Talked an instructor into checking him out in it. Went to Goose bay and did a couple of landings. Thing handled so badly the instructor got out and started to walk home. Owner talked him into flying it back to Merril field. Touched down at Merril, lost control and wiped out several parked "certified" planes.

By the way, the Murphy Moose pilots are now looking at certified Cessna's. Had enough with expermentals. Smith mounting the jury strut tabs on the outside of the spars is just bad quality control. Where else did they screw up??? Crash

Dan 2+2, I learned a long time ago to just lurk on this board when it comes to exp. catagory. After all this is the Supercub.org board , Some of the folks flying certified a/c on this site would probably prefer we had our own site or would just go away.

Geez - I'm not even going to mix it on Crash's comment. This IS the experimental forum on SC.org. I don't plan to stop posting here unless Steve tells us to take a hike.

On the Smith jury strut fittings, should be pretty easy to unbolt those and turn inboard isn't it?. Might have to unscrew some sheet metal on the front spar. Were both wings the same? Really not a show stopper and easily fixed unless I'm missing something here.

Not being an expert yet , I did not notice them. We had an expert visit Saturday and asked why our jury struts had to be slightly angled to the wing rather than 90 deg. and he spotted this difference right away. Smith's might have a reason ,for the change, haven't heard too many people knocking the quality on their wings. I'll have to ask next time I'm in contact with them.
Ron

Didn't those wings come pre-assembled from a factory in eastern Europe (or should I say the European Union)? Maybe they were built on a Monday! :eek: :lol:

Like Buggs66 says, shouldn't be too hard to move them to the inside of the spars...unless everything is already covered.

John Scott

There are as many junky a$$ experimentals as certified. I have a freshly restored Clipper in my shop right now that is the biggest piece of junk I have ever seen. I have seen experimentals that would make any certified look like junk. Seen plenty of crappy certified designs that should have never been certified. Don't blame the site, just a few highly opinionated posters.

If you got the wings from smith would it be possible to pick up the phone and call and see if the jury strut mounts should be on the inside of the spars or outside and then discuss the problem with them, even if you didnt get them from him then im curious if he will take the time for you. THEN LET US KNOW!!!!. i PERSONALLY, you guys see i said personally like to find the ones that just want to get there stuff out the door and then say goodbye. doug

Heck, I mounted the jury strut brackets on the wrong side of the Champ spars when I assembled the first wing. I'm not sure how I caught the mistake but, upon closer examination of the drawing, it dawned on me that it was wrong.

Pay no mind to the nay-sayers. If they have a problem with the word "Experimental", the solution is simple: they can stay out of this particular forum.

It's possible, even likely, that my *next* aircraft will be experimental.

Jon B.

I was just jabbing you expermental guys to see if you were awake. Been pretty quite over here lately. Take care. Crash

I'd give Nick a call. The phone number is on their website. They are there most everyday and sometimes on the weekends. Odds are high that it will be Nick Jr. or Nick Sr. that answers the phone.
One bit of advice, don’t use email or their website to contact them. I have had to call on several different occasions to say “Nick, I sent you some email!”

KelvinG

Crash said:
I was just jabbing you expermental guys to see if you were awake. Been pretty quite over here lately. Take care. Crash

Crash, You get in many bar fights? :agrue:

KelvinG

Ron,
I have a set of Smith wings that I'm working on right now myself. The jury strut tabs are on the inside of the spars.
Call Wayne Axelson - 519-670-0959. He is the head guy at the wing shop for Smith, just about 15 miles south of the Smiths in Iona Station, as I understand it. I have talked to him and he can and will solve all of your wing issues. Also ask him about his landing light kit for that wing, I bought mine from him and was very satisfied with it.
Good Luck,
Jay

Guys, I'm just to lazy to call the Smiths. It's easier to ask here. I've been to both Nick's and Wayne's shops. From what little I know of Wayne , there must be a reason for having them on the outsides of the spars. I was very impressed at how meticulous they assembled the wings. His wife was tapping at a rib on a jig for quite some time , that I had to ask just what she was trying to accomplish. She explained that the nose of the rib had about a 1/32" or less gap to the jig and it hat to go. She worked at it some more and got it where she wanted it before she put it down.
I don't know if John Scott was serious or joking (hard to tell here) but the wings are made in London Ontario also.
Doug , I'll call soon and find out why.
Mine are complete and painted, too late to change mine.

Jury strut fitting??

I don't know which side the jury strut fitting is on, but when I get back home, I'll report which side is on my Smith.
By the way, the wings on my Smith are beautifully made, and I'm not ashamed to say so. If you haven't looked at them, just keep quiet. Have you ever heard of one failing? One of the prettiest wing structures I have ever seen. If you have a problem with a Smith Kit, all you have to do is pick up the phone, Nick is almost always around and will be happy to discuss any problem you might have.
In addition, the Smith Kit is such a tremendous value, they are backordered for the next two years.

Mike

So Crash, An experimental crashed and from that you deduct that they are all dangerous? I do believe the ntsb reports have more than a few certifide supercubs among the makes and models.

Back