• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Plans for experimental Super Cub

tgarrison

Johnson City, TN
Hi,

Does anyone sell plans for a homebuilt Super Cub? It seems like Wag Aero's plans are just to make their J3 replica take the bigger engine, not a true PA-18 replica.

Thanks,
Thomas

I'll second that notion. For what it lacks in assembly instructions can be made up with the knowledge and pics of others on this site. The hardest part for me was learning how to read blueprints. It is also very reasonably priced.

Best o luck.

caution: Northland drawings with draftmans initals "LA" have many mistakes. I don't think this guy had high school drafting.

Northland Drawings

Tropicalcub said:
caution: Northland drawings with draftmans initals "LA" have many mistakes. I don't think this guy had high school drafting.

Topicalcub: Could you be more pacific and point out some of the Mistakes.

I don't think I would hesitate to put a kit together without drawings. I take it you folks are planning to make everything by hand? With almost all parts being practically mass-produced?

I have been building parts from the Northland drawings and tooling for about 6 months now. Although some of the drawings I referenced were not exact and required a bit of work for the flat-plate cut files, I would say they are extremely useful. As a package, I would consider the Northland reference books and CD to be almost a necessity to erect a Supercub.

To build the parts from scratch would be quite an undertaking if you were doing it for a one-time project. I have finally ramped up production for many of the parts and it was quite a chore!

I have found some errors dimesionally in the wag areo plans too IE When using the squares to get the proper arc in the tail plane there are too many 2 inch squares, the seat back hieght is too short, and some of the frames supporting the stringers on the top of the fuselage are too low . The more sources you have the better off you are.
Glenn

In regards to Wag Aero's drawings, I would not recommend using the bird cage dimensions as well. In fact I dont build any Piper bird cage unless the wings are mocked up (and rigged). You get a much nicer transition across the top cabin this way. My favorite inboard rib is Univair's for the reason of installing nut plates. 6-32 keyed Rivnuts fit into the Piper channel nicely for root fairings.

Cub junkie said:
... My favorite inboard rib is Univair's for the reason of installing nut plates. 6-32 keyed Rivnuts fit into the Piper channel nicely for root fairings.

What is your technique for notching keyed rivnuts? I have been looking for a notcher tool but haven't had luck.

Bugs66 said:
Cub junkie said:
... My favorite inboard rib is Univair's for the reason of installing nut plates. 6-32 keyed Rivnuts fit into the Piper channel nicely for root fairings.

What is your technique for notching keyed rivnuts? I have been looking for a notcher tool but haven't had luck.

You can buy a notcher for the size rivnut you are using or you can use one size notcher for many sized holes by moving it to the edge of the hole and notching. If you dont want to do either you can use a very thin three cornered file to make a key notch. I think you need to be a serious sheet metal mechanic to need the different sized notchers that are available. For just wing root fairings for one project the file method is my choice if I didnt already have the notcher.

You get your C of A by having the required inspections done as you are building the A/C. In your case it would be a representative from the FAA. In my case it's the MD-RA (Transport Canada reps). It doesnt have to be from a kit to be airworthy, its gotta be built properly

How are you getting the Experimental Airworthiness with building from the plans?

Others answered in different ways. Maybe your thinking the plans have to be approved somehow? You can use any plans you want, mix and match even, including your own but the aircraft has to pass inspection and be built by you according to appendix 8. You could build a De Haviland Beaver (clone) if you wanted I guess. I don't think the FAA checks for rights infringement but you might get a call from Kenmore's lawyers?

Maybe you are confusing other "experimental AW" certs with "Experimental- Amateur Built"? The amateur built rules are what your looking for.

Back