• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

About that 4 place SC

duggram

ABQ, NM
I like the topic of four place SC’s and there are two planes that I think about. One is the four place Artic Tern and the other is a modified WagAero 2+2 built by Les Green of Wasilla, Alaska in the mid 80’s .

Just a few miles east of Palmer there are two of those Terns parked next to the Glenn Highway. They look like they have a lot of room inside. Nice idea, but in my opinion wrong plane to base if off of. And, there probably aren’t many around.

Les Green is not around any more but I understand that the plane he built is. He built the plane for Garland Dobson who is a pretty big guy (compared to me). Garland wanted a wider PA-14, more room for bunny boots and down coats. The summer that the plane was finished I hung around Les’s shop a lot.

The plane had straight sides, which gave more foot and head room. I also remember Les saying that he built in the same angle of incidence as a SC. He also said that the plane was based on the WagAero 2+2 plans. Sweet plane.

I’ve been collecting a few parts for the same type of project. I’ve also got the 2+2 and Cubby plans, and the Northland information. Someday I will get to that project, but right now I have a two place tandem started with a long ways to go and not enough budget.

If I could start that 4 place project I think I would build it as a wider SC, not a PA-14. I like the idea of getting in and out of a cub. And a SC is the gold standard for bush planes. If I only had an extra $50K right now I’d put the current project on hold and have a new 4 place cub next summer.

Doug

Doug, Doug, Doug.....

Garland is a mere wisp of a man :angel: . His airplane is now back up and flying, since recover. Garland splits his time between riding and flying, Harley and "Producer" or whatever its called. Its been a long time since I saw it, but it looked like a great plane to me, and Garland is pretty happy with it. And, Garland does know about performance.

MTV

MTV

Now that's interesting. I got a new super glide this summer. First road bike in 35 years. Great minds think alike.

Doug

Screw the 4 place super cub just get a big wing on a pacer and there you go you've got a four place super cub.

Back