• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Falling Cub Prices?

ground loop

Anchorage
I noticed in todays' Anchorage Daily paper there were quite a few cubs for sale and that the initial asking prices seamed reasonable considering hunting season. Is this trend national or regional? Anyone have any explanations?

I agree. A few years ago you saw nothing but wrecks below 100K. Now the wrecks are 40 to 50 and you can get a pretty nice cub for under a hundred K.

Just my opinion.

Bill

It's my fault. I'm finishing the high-dollar rebuild of my 12. The prices are falling right on schedule. It's just like how the weather's nice until I wash my truck, then it rains. I'm not sure whether I'm more like Charlie Brown or Ee Orr.

Hey....wasn't Ee Orr a jackass? It all makes sense!

SB

About 5 months ago I went shopping for a cub....most of those cubs are still for sale....and the ones still posted are losing asking values.....OF COURSE!! I bought mine when the prices were high. "Buy high...sell low". R

On the serious side, it's not just airplanes. Look at the new car market, and what the manufacturer's are doing to improve sales. Car salesmen will tell you that the gas prices aren't the cause. Car sales were flat before gas prices went up.

It seems to me there's a correlation between airplane sales and the stock market. A flat stock market usually is accompanied by a flat airplane market.

SB

Anybody been watching the 180/185 prices.

Seems like alot of the guys holding onto thier "for sale" 185's don't 'need' to sell them. The airplanes are still on the market, the prices are still the same as when the things went on the market.

Maybe these Cubs with the prices that have fallen are superfluous and "must" be sold.

I DO see that the whole market is a bit flat or full.

DAVE

I wonder what percentage of airplanes are purchased by professional pilots that fly heavies? It seems that they may be more cautious these days and that might account fo a bit of the market softness also. Any thoughts on that as a possible factor?

Champs on the other hand are going up. Hmmmmmmmmmm. Could it be that for once, I made a wise investment?
RON

David M. Calkins said:
Anybody been watching the 180/185 prices.

Seems like alot of the guys holding onto thier "for sale" 185's don't 'need' to sell them. The airplanes are still on the market, the prices are still the same as when the things went on the market.

Maybe these Cubs with the prices that have fallen are superfluous and "must" be sold.

I DO see that the whole market is a bit flat or full.

DAVE

Nobody's making a replacement for 180's and 185's. Between Husky, Cubcrafters, and the homebuilt options out there, Cubs, or a reasonably close alternative, are available.

SB

I bought my Super Cub in May. I'm glad the prices are starting to come back to a reasonable level. The listed original price for my 1956 PA-18a was $6154.00. I paid just over 1000% of that price.

Paul

harneymaki said:
I bought my Super Cub in May. I'm glad the prices are starting to come back to a reasonable level. The listed original price for my 1956 PA-18a was $6154.00. I paid just over 1000% of that price.

Paul

That price is just about right Paul, adjusted for inflation. In 1956 you could buy 1 1/2 Chevrolet Corvette's for $6150. Today you can buy 1 1/2 Corvette's for $61,000.

Sky Five said:
That price is just about right Paul, adjusted for inflation. In 1956 you could buy 1 1/2 Chevrolet Corvette's for $6150. Today you can buy 1 1/2 Corvette's for $61,000.

What the hell am I gonna do with half a corvette?!

Strata Rocketeer said:
Sky Five said:

What the hell am I gonna do with half a corvette?!

Save it for the divorce.

S.

Good luck buying one and a half Corvettes for $61 K. That would be $40 K per, and I don't think they start that low, even with an "employee discount".

As to replacements for the 185: What about the Found BushHawk?

MTV

In 1956 the supercub and the 1 and a half corvettes were all new, now the vettes are new and the cub is pushing 60. A new supercub will cost you more than 3 vettes using 40000 as a vette price. Does any one know what 1 and a half 1956 corvettes would be worth today ?
Tim

1956 was only the third year the vette was built, a whole one is probably worth a fortune. I'll bet a half of one (a project car) isn't inexpensive either.

Here's a 1956 Corvette listed for $95,000 - not as bad as I thought they'd be. The appraised value is said to be $150K.

Hemmings Motor News Corvette Classifieds

I also wonder how this affects new plane sales. I wonder if Husky dealers are still holding inventory from last year and I wonder how new cub (ie. Top Cub) sales are doing. I wonder if the new hold their prices and appreciate or if they depreciate.

Motorhomes are getting cheaper?? I better hurry up and by one so I can sell it when they bottom out. R

Single engine sales in general are fairly stagnant right now, there is a good bit of 2004 inventory still out there, at least with the product I sell. The remark about sales following the stock market fluctuations is very true.

Regarding new aircraft holding their price vs. depreciating: You'll always see them depreciate somewhat. It follows a fairly predictable curve though which bottoms out around the fifth year, at which point your resale value will begin to climb again as it tracks behind the ever-rising new retail pricing (usually ~3% per year, CC I'm sure will be no different). Of course lots of factors can mitigate this though, TTSN v. age, damage history, outdated equipment, QC issues with OEM suppliers, etc.....

Clay,
Thanks for the great info. Do you have any generalizations (demographics) about the people you sell to?

I received a press release from CubCrafters yesterday, the content of which follows:

24 NEW AIRCRAFT ORDERS FOR CUBCRAFTERS AT 2005 EAA AIRVENTURE

YAKIMA, WA — CubCrafters announced today confirmed orders were taken for 24 new aircraft during 2005 EAA AIRVENTURE. SPORT CUB made its official worldwide public debut at the show, while TOP CUB made its first appearance at OSHKOSH since receiving its FAR part 23 type certification in December of 2004. “We could not be more pleased with these sales results” said Todd Simmons, Director of Sales and Marketing. “We thank our customers that waited patiently while we re-designed and completely updated the airplane that inspired the new category. Clearly their patience has been rewarded with the introduction of SPORT CUB.” Of the 24 new aircraft orders, twelve were placed in a single order by CubAir Flight Academy. The academy plans to use SPORT CUB as its primary training platform for new Sport Pilots.

New orders were also taken for 2005 TOP CUBs. Customers report that TOP CUB’s category leading 2,300 lb gross weight and 1,100 lb useful load are the two most compelling factors driving new TOP CUB sales. “Our success at Oshkosh last week is clear evidence that private pilots and the general aviation marketplace have a much clearer understanding of our products and services today than even just a few months ago. Our two new, certified aircraft – SPORT CUB and TOP CUB – are a natural extension of our continuing history of rebuilding Super Cubs and supplying modifications and STC’s for the existing Super Cub fleet. In addition to the new aircrafts sales, we added three new rebuild projects the week of AIRVENTURE”, Simmons added. At the conclusion of the show, the total new aircraft backlog for the company stands at approximately 55 units.

As of early August 2005, the next available SPORT CUB delivery positions are late in the second quarter of 2006, with the first SPORT CUB customer deliveries planned for late 2005. The next available TOP CUB delivery positions are available in late 2005.

The also included a picture of a 1 millon dollar check for 12 sport cubs.

So, SOMEBODY is selling some airplanes anyway. Do you think the availability of planes like this will drive the price of our old cubs down even further?

sj

steve said:
So, SOMEBODY is selling some airplanes anyway. Do you think the availability of planes like this will drive the price of our old cubs down even further?

sj

I hope so!!! :lol: :lol: A friend of mine is looking into replacing his '78 supercub with a Top Cub. He said that they were looking at a sping/summer delivery if he orders one for next year.

I think another factor in the declining cost of supercubs might be directly related to this site. Potential buyers can self educate themselves on rebuilding costs vs. buying a cub that has just been recently rebuilt. It is pretty easy to look through the message board on here and find what key elements to look for when buying. After some self education it is easy to spot the junk that is for sale out there.

Kits are also becoming popular, this may have an effect on certified cub sales.

What do you guys think a CC Top Cub will be worth in 5 years? How will they compare to a piper PA-18? The biggest downfalls (other than $$) of buying a CC Top Cub seem to be parts availability and not being able to put the MT CS prop on as well as other modifications.

Tim

Hmmm....

Champs are going up; Cubs going down.

I may yet be able to afford a Cub! Hey, Wilbur: If you can wait a few more years I can possibly afford yours!

Truth be told, I think I'll soon find the Champ to be too slow, too small (inside) and to have insufficient payload capacity. The Cub won't help with items 1 & 2. I may need to upgrade to a souped-up C-170 or a 180. Don't tell Mrs. B. though!

Jon B.

Jon,

I did hear of some guys in either Tenessee of one of the Virginias paying top dollar for champs to restore and resell. I was surprised to hear they gave $28K for a ratty 7AC project.

sj

Do you think the availability of planes like this will drive the price of our old cubs down even further?

When Cessna began building new "new" 172, 182, and 206 models what did the used Cessna 206,172,and 182 markets do? I have forgotten.

Harley Davidson Motorcycle Company has posted increases year after year after year since the early 90's(?). Note that one can buy any part one needs to get even a very old Harley running.

I've heard others on this very site analogize Harley bikes with the PA-18 and the availability of parts and the timelessness of the design. Or is it just the hype that goes with both HD bikes and also the SuperCub? :D

SB, I get the point about no new 180/185's being produced. But prices of the ones on the market aren't falling, NOR are they selling. Beavers topped out a few years ago. Now the prices are back to "reasonable". They don't make them anymore either.

Anyway, it's fun to hear everyones opinion of how the market goes.

MTV, how do you like the Found??? Good stuff. Bad stuff.......besides how ugly it is.

DAVE

Back