• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

The Ultimate Experimental PA-18

OVEREASYGUY

SPONSOR
New Gloucester, Maine
Hello
I'm new to this site & to supercubs - I want one badly!! I do not want a certified one - I would like to build one myself. I was wondering what some of you more experienced cub builders/owners would do if you were to build the ultimate experimental cub? For example i find the 4 inch wider fuselage is a good new feature. Well if i'm building an experimental cub - I could make that 10 inches if I wanted! Is the 4 in wider option the best? I find they have an extended tail - is that a good option?
I love Grove Landing grear - & HUGE tires - what's the best set up there?
I have no interest in $4,400 tundra tires - I'd prefer a $100 truck tire! What works in this area? (are there actually people out there who would pay $4,400 for tundra tires!!)
Ideallly i'd like to order up a supercub kit and then put it all together - no one seems to sell such a kit? where do I get a parts list? or a skematic of all the cub parts?
I'd like to end up on floats - should the stock frame be beafed up some? Again, if it's experimental - I don't need to stick to any certified specs.
I'm told if you are going to put it on floats - doors on both sides are a good idea. i might like a belly pod at some point - should I have tabs welded on the frame to accomodate that?
Any ideas would be grately appreciated.
Thanks
cliff in Maine

I think most of your questions have been beaten to death in the forums. :roll:High dollar tires? :D I'm glad I bought mine.

Cliff, search the forums and there are many different opinions here.It is hard to beat a stock cub with tundra tires.I have a very modified one and have had stock ones.The more stuff you change and or bolt on,the less magical they seem.I am in Rumford.If you want to come up and have coffee or pm me and i will give you some locals closer that live cubs.Nezinscot river seaplanes in turner is a good place to ask questions.Dan just rebuild cubs and 12's.He has done most mods of all sorts.He has also flown in alaska for several years and is a maine warden pilot.Keith strange and reid campbell up around lincoln are both highly respected cub guys as well.

Here is a good kit

www.customflightltd.com
I have been flying my North Star for a year now. It is a nice airplane. Two doors, wider fuse, longer gear, 850 x6 tires, 180 hp 0-360, Mc Calley 84x46" prop.

Or, piece one together your self.

You could build a stock? cub... Dakota wings and a 4" wide frame from Airframes Inc. 3" gear, 29 " Bush wheels, and 180 Hp

10" wider ? Do the Bear Hawk kit

The replies to Overeasyguy have been kind and charitable. He is a dreamer,
which all of us are at times. The question the new guys fail to ask is "The ultimate Cub for what?" To carry big loads? To go fast? To land and take off in short fields? To land in unimproved areas? To be fun to fly? To be economical? Guys like this don't want a Super Cub, they want a dream plane
that simply does not exsist. They don't realize that with all the changes, the plane just isn't a Cub any more. It may fulfill its intended mission, but it is not a Cub. If you have not flown a stock Cub, don't modify anything until you do. " Improvemnts" are a two edge sword, what you gain in one area, you lose in another.

Ron

Smith Aviation was showing a mongo 4 place supercub fuse and wings at the AA show. Looked pretty "ultimate" to me.

sj

Nope this is some new gadget that is a cross between a C180 and a Supercub , but looks kinda like a 14 fuse - only bigger.

It is pretty impressive, I would like to see one all together. I did not see anything on their website about it, but maybe Nick will speak up about it.

sj

I've got a Tri-Pacer fuselage and a bunch of wing parts and ideas for a similar project after my Clipper and Super Cub are flying.

Steve Pierce said:
I've got a Tri-Pacer fuselage and a bunch of wing parts and ideas for a similar project after my Clipper and Super Cub are flying.

Steve, I hope you live long enough to finish all these projects!

Pznick stated "The more stuff you change and or bolt on,the less magical they seem."

Never a truer statement has ever been made about the Piper PA-18! Crash

This looks like fun if you have money to spend:

PILATUS PC-6-FOR SALE OR LEASE ? AVAILABLE FOR IMMEDIATE SALE ? 1971 PC-6/B2-H4 Turbo Porter, 12,000 TTSN, 700 SMOH (PT-6A-27), Garmin & King IFR, 4 blade prop, Tundra tires, dual sliding doors. 3,000 lbs. useful load! ? VISIT MY WEBSITE ? Contact Steven T. Styles - STYLES LOGISTICS, INC. located Lagrangeville, NY USA ? Telephone: 845-677-8185 ? Fax: 845-677-6252 ? Posted May 18, 2005 ? Show all Ads posted by this Advertiser ? Recommend This Ad to a Friend ? Send a Message

http://www.barnstormers.com/classified_72740_Pilatus+PC-6-For+Sale+or+Lease.html

I am pleased to annouce that Cliff in Maine is purchasing a beautiful 1979 SuperCub. The airplane is in excellent condition and has always been hangared and well-maintained. It has a full panel, 160 hp, Atlee Dodge safety cables and Micro VGs.

Cliff has a 1000 ft. gravel airstrip in his yard and access to some excellent cub instructors. I'm looking forward to watching him progress along in his training and benefit from the wealth of information available on this site.

Hi Steve, Thanks for the kind words on our new 4 place plane. This plane is 4" wider than a pacer, 3-3/8 higher and the same length as a super cub. It's 4-6 seater and with the rear seats removed there is 8' of flat floor. We use our square wing with the ext. flaps and ailerons. We also have used the spar doublers same a the piper pawnee. This plane has a empty weight of 1300-1500 lbs and a gross of 2900lbs. We are offering a discount on the first 10 kits and have sold 4 already. If any one has questions please feel free to contact us. Thanks Nick jr

Back