Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Flap positions

Post Thanks / Like

Flap positions

We are closing in on our project. Yesterday we were discussing how many flap positions we should have. My pre-crash bird had three and I rarely used more than the first two. In the last year, I have flown Cubs with two and with five. What is the collective wisdom on this?

Post Thanks / Like
    John, my cub has two. I plan to add one between full up and the first notch for use on takeoff. I don't see a lot of need for any others.

Post Thanks / Like

flaps

My Cub has 4 notches at 10,20,30, & 40 degrees, but usually only use 20 or full flaps !!

Post Thanks / Like
    xx

Post Thanks / Like
    My Cub has 4 notches at 10,20,30, & 40 degrees, but usually only use 20 or full flaps !!

Ditto!

Post Thanks / Like
    I had two and went to three last year when I rebuilt mine. I like the three position ratchet. Crash

Post Thanks / Like
    I had two and went to three last year when I rebuilt mine. I like the three position ratchet. Also, shorten your flap handle (gets your leg out of the way) so you have full aileron control in a L.H. crosswind. Crash

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Crash, but don't shorten the handle too much like I did. I cut mine 5 inches and that's too much. It's very hard to get a hold on and also not enough leverage. I wouldn't go over 3.5 inches if I were you.

murph

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. Think I'll stick with three. With the wide body, the flap handle is two inches further out. Feels like there will be plenty of room.

Post Thanks / Like
    Crash Your starting to stutter.
    Can the flap handle be bent rather than cut off to give more leg room on the left side?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep.

Post Thanks / Like

detents?

. . . my -12's handle stops wherever I let go of the button. Don't need no steenking deeetents!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a friend with a Cub out of Alaska. It originally had flaps that extended all the way to here - but CC said it wasn't legal and restricted them by loosening the turnbuckles. The first two notches were just taking up slack, and then the last notch was somewhere around 40 degrees, and just no fun anymore.

Then another friend bought a brand-new CC stock Cub, and its flaps went to the standard 50 degree position, with no slop in the handle.

I was surprised at the slop in the flap cable, since it seems that a loose cable can get into trouble around pulleys and stuff - but happy that getting the flaps back to the Piper-approved 50 degrees would be so darn easy! Now that I know that the tolerance on such adjustments is at least 10 degrees, I am one happy camper.

As far as the notches are concerned, there are four - but only two are useful: 20 for rough field and water takeoff, and 50 for fun landings! My opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    delete

Post Thanks / Like
    The TCDS sez 50 deg plus or minus 2 deg.

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgMakeModel.nsf/0/ad0084716c91470f8525673900566909/$FILE/1a2.pdf
    Gordon

N4328M KTDO
    My SPOT: tinyurl.com/N4328M (case sensitive)

Post Thanks / Like

Knotches

Got 4 notches and use them All Every Landing, except stiff X-wind days. Jerry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by murph
    I agree with Crash, but don't shorten the handle too much like I did. I cut mine 5 inches and that's too much. It's very hard to get a hold on and also not enough leverage. I wouldn't go over 3.5 inches if I were you.

murph
    Ya, I cut mine off just below the screw holes that retain the button spring. That is about 3 1/2" shorter then stock. It is also easier to reach being shorter. Good to hear from you Murph, when you coming back up? Crash

Post Thanks / Like
    I observed that at the first notch of 3 that my flaps were in line with the ailerons (in flight). On ground they appear to have proper droop.
    Is there a where and how much measuring point?

Post Thanks / Like
    You either have loose cables or there is something flexing in your flap deployment system. The flaps should be down 10 degrees in flight and on the ground with the flap handle in the first position.

I tighten the turnbuckles (flap cable turnbuckles are located up in the wing next to the fuel tank drain, usually under two 3", side by side inspections covers) until the flap bellcrank arm just bearly rests on its rest stop. You want them adjusted so if you just touch the flap handle, the flaps move, i.e. NO SLOP. Don't forget to safety wire the turnbuckles back after you're done and use the proper wire. Take care! Crash

P.S. Aircraft Spruce has an excellent page on tunbuckle safety wire procedures in their catalog next to where they list turnbuckles. A good safety wire job is a work of art if done right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Answers to most questions:
    Yes, cables were loose. I am not insured in seaplanes, so had not flown from the front seat since the last rigging, and was not aware of the slack! First two notches did nothing except take up slack. Dangerous, in my opinion, to have slack in cables that change direction around so many pulleys.
    Since aircraft was delivered with less than 50 degrees, I extrapolated a tolerance. It was in jest, sort of. I have the data sheets.
    Army maintenance manual showed turnbuckle down by the lever. Imagine my surprise when it wasn't there (I found three!).
    I love to safety wire turnbuckles - when I can see them! My hands are bleeding.
    In a jet, I extend flaps when decelerating through minimum speed for the previous setting. That means as many as five different settings on an approach. In a light plane, I extend them when I want landing configuration. I either need drag, or I don't. That's just my opinion. I suppose four notches would give you time to re-trim, but two would be enough for that. The speed range from no flaps to full flaps is almost insignificant for incremental flap extension purposes in most light aircraft.