• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Has anyone purchased a Firman pod?

LANDSHORT

CANBY, OR
I had contacted them about the pod last Nov. They thought by Spring 05 some would be out on the market.

Has anyone purchased one since November?

Curious how the fit and finish is?

Thnx, Scott

I have not purchased as of yet but it is on my lists of "options" to get in the next 6 months..... fly safe... Corey

talked to bob at firman in oct told him i needed a pod by june 05, he told me he would have one for me. have not heard a word since that time. starting to get concerned

One of my customers had one installed last fall. He was happy with the turnaround and also the quality.

My impression is that this is a beautiful piece of equipment.

If you end up having problems getting one of the Firmin pods, Airglas (Landes ski manufacturer) has a nice pod that they'll configure with partial fuel if you want, a nice option.

pods

Bob's Dad died unexpectedly this winter and that took him away from his business for a few weeks. I talked to him about a week ago and he is up & running building pods. Never met him in person but he sure is a great guy to do business with on the phone.
Dave

I bought one last winter from Bob, it's a great pod, well made and fits great. There "certified" for 150 pounds. Bob was a great guy to work with came to my tie down and installed it with me fun guy to talk with. Bob did lose his father and that slowed things down. He is a good man to do business with, you can reach Bob Piatt at 1-907-376-7259.

Bought one and love it

Bought a pod in November, rather than pull the fabric back and try to put in the bigger baggage and the dog leg. Bob got the pods approved so that any mechanic can install them, ( I do not know the right term PMA?) rather than just him. You can get any color you desire too.

I'm thinking about one of these. Question, how much extra drag does it add, i.e. how much airspeed will I lose?

Thanks.

As crazy as it sounds, you lose no airspeed. I think the airflow is so turbulent in that area it does not matter.

alaska bush pod aka firminpod

There seems to be some confusion on the alaska bush pods aka firminpod. Hope this helps to clear up some of the questions. The pod has an STC/PMA. It weighs 25 lbs with all the hardware, and is legal to carry 150 lbs, with no noticeable loss in airspeed. The pod is seven feet long & has 9.5 cubic feet of capacity. It has two doors one on the side that is approx. 27"x 9", and one in the rear approx. 12"x 7". The pod is easy to install taking a couple hours for the first installation. The introductory price is $1,850.00, which includes all hardware. For more infomation or pictures you can call 907-376-7259 or e-mail alaskabushpods@gci.net . Bob ( Hope to see you at the Alaska Airmen Show!!)

Hi, I'm interested in this..... is it true that you have to give up your rear fuselage step to install it? Since mine is a L-21B, I'd rather not have to go to the "cross-bar" step, afraid that it would sacrifice just a little too much of the character of the airplane during the times I'm not carrying the pod.

Thanks.

Christina Young said:
Hi, I'm interested in this..... is it true that you have to give up your rear fuselage step to install it? Since mine is a L-21B, I'd rather not have to go to the "cross-bar" step, afraid that it would sacrifice just a little too much of the character of the airplane during the times I'm not carrying the pod.

Thanks.

You could always put "remove crossbar and reinstall step" on the conversion checklist. Or you could learn how to get in the back by the front method.

S2D said:
You could always put "remove crossbar and reinstall step" on the conversion checklist. Or you could learn how to get in the back by the front method.

How easy is it to do that? Also my gear legs are fabric covered (L-21 character again). Can they be fabric covered and have the crossbar?

Thanks.

I think you have to poke two holes in the fabric. I'll have to look at mine and see. I haven't installed it yet. If you can figure out a way to aesthetically cover those two dime sized holes while not installed, it shouldn't be a problem.

This pod it the best thing to happen to the Super Cub since the Borer prop. A PA-18 will haul as much as a Cessna 180 with a Firman pod, upper baggage and full width extended lower baggage. Do what ever you need to to install it. The Atlee Dodge long step is another great mod. Take care! Crash

Back