• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Joe moves ta da U.P.

cubscout

FRIEND
Soo, it seems las month this Cajun feller an' his wife moved from Hammond, Loosiana up ta da U.P. (or Upper Peninsula of Michigan, for youse appleknockers).

He invested in all the right gear: A shiny new Ford Expedition, the warmest Eddie Bauer down coat, and a pair of Sorels to keep his feet warm, eh?

First night, da feller comes on radio station YOOP, the five-watt voice of the Tilden Valley, warnin' everyone that there's anudder eight-ten inches uf snow forcast, and they've gotta park on the even-numbered side uf da street, so dey can plow the street, or be towed.

He's never been around this snow stuff much, but figgers he'd better comply, so bundles up in the Eddie Bauer Down coat, the new Sorels, and moves the Ford Extradition to the even-numbered side of the street.

Next night, da feller comes on da radio, sez theres anudder coupla feet of snow coming, ya gotta park on da odd-numbered side uf da steet or be towed. Same drill, Joe bundles up and moves the Ford Extrusion.

Da tird night da same feller comes on radio YOOP an sez der's two-tree foota snow forcast, an ya gotta park on the even-numbered side uf da street again. Joe sighs an looks at EmmyLou. She sez, ah, Joe, why don't ya take a chance and jus' leave that Ford Excretion in da garage, eh?

Uff Da!

Steve Pierce said:
I know someone that might take offence to that one. 8)

Well, heck, didn't mean to offend, I'd a told it about Bubba from Texas, but it's just that mosta dem Texans don't get da joke, eh?

Joe will probably give it back in good measure.

Good one CS. Down here where we never see snow much less ice we still rank the old ice fishing story as the number one Coonass heads north story!

Joe, I caught some'a'dat ice onec't. It jus' cooked down ta water. Not 'dat tasty.

What date ya got on when 'da Buick falls tru da ice, eh?

Yeah CS, but neither of us has anything on those rednecks that threw the dynamite out on the ice to break it up and their retriever brought it back and laid down with it under their truck. Gonna miss that truck. Gonna miss that dog.
Joe

Cubscout - you're a real gem, eh? I can't even detect an accent! :lol:

Anne (aka cubtroll).

Cajun Yankee

Joe I hope you can make the pineville flyin and give us all a report.
Lane and I will be Lookin forward to it.
Good Luck,
Jim

Re: Cajun Yankee

J Huff said:
Joe I hope you can make the pineville flyin and give us all a report.
Lane and I will be Lookin forward to it.
Good Luck,
Jim
C'mon Jim. You gotta make pineville. Can't be more than an hour drive.

Joe my wife and I will both be there. Hope you can make it down from
Michigan. Buzz our home if it is on the flight path, 31 49' North 91 25' west. moose sauce pe kaw would be good.
Later,
Jim

cubscout and Cajun Joe -

Those stories are as good as any old Appalachian Virginia yarn.

I bet the Buick goes down on May 15. Did you tie a chain to it run to a tree on shore so you can pull her out come summer and do it again next year?

Bob Breeden

Bob Breeden said:
cubscout and Cajun Joe -

I bet the Buick goes down on May 15. Did you tie a chain to it run to a tree on shore so you can pull her out come summer and do it again next year?

Bob Breeden

Bob, you bet, eh? Twentieth time. got 'er tied into a timing device too, after some of the cheating that used ta go on when she rung a bell. An les not even talk about dose inner tubes we found once't, eh?

Usually more like March 5-20, but youse guys from down sout prob'ly know better dan da yoopers.

Keep yer stick on da ice. Cubscout

Cubscout

No way do I know better than the yoopers! I grew up in the Lower Peninsula (near the web between the Thumb and the first knuckle on the Index finger) and my family and I spent our spare time in January and February out on a frozen 300 acre lake. Either on ice skates held between us with a blanket for a sail, or on a dune buggy Dad and I built. That was the only place we could run her wide open for much distance. Now that lake is all grown up with huge homes for notable characters from Detroit. Then it was quite private.

Was school ever canceled for snow? - yes, but only when the gravel county roads drifted over higher than the hoods of the busses. Otherwise, commuters waited until after the school bus went by to BREAK TRAIL so that lower slung Detroit iron could get out. I'm not kidding. Those bus drivers were reverred. Wind blew all night and drifted in low places in the roads and where bushes and thickets alongside formed a natural snowfence.

When I had a snowmobile I guess it did go back in the basement in March or so (gas drained of course) when the skis started running in mud and rocks more than snow. Everyone there now runs 4 wheelers cause the snow ain't what it used to be.

I figgered youse yooper guys had more winter and more ice. Like Michigan Tech up by Houghton was an icebox from September til 2 weeks before school got out in June.

Post us a pitcher of yer Buick on da ICE, eh?

Bob Breeden

yooper

Joe,

Yooper is a geographically defining term like as a play on the word UPPER, as in peninsula, of Michigan. You know, that peninsula north of the Mackinaw Bridge?

Be careful; using the word yooper can be either highly denigrating, or affectionately nostalgic, depending on tone and perspective. Ever heard of a West Virginia joke, told by a Virginian?

In todays quest to enjoy a more natural world, being a yooper carries a certain prestige, similar to those on this website defining themselves as "Alaskan", right cubscout?

I know that as a yooper, cubscout got more snowdays off from school as a kid than I did. So I have to make up for that by going north more now.

Bob Breeden

Joe: Bob has it about right. 'Yooper' is probably derived from a concatination of the abbriviation 'U.P.' (as in Upper Peninsula, pernounced 'yoo pee), and 'Upper' as Bob noted. There's also a fine musical group from the Negaunee/Ishpeming area called 'Da Yoopers.'

In common usage, it's the equivalent of 'Coonass', so it depends on who says it, and in what context whether it's an affectionate compliment, or fighting words.

In the same way, those from Lower Michigan are referred to as a 'Trolls' by da yoopers. Why? Because they live below the (Macinac) Bridge, which either joins or seperates Upper and Lower Michigan, depending on your perspective.

And in the spirit of truth in advertising, despite what Bob suggests, I didn't grow up there, (and in fact never grew up, and don't plan to), but became a Yooper by marriage. But he's got it about right.

Ain't it fun to have some interesting regional differences, but still be united by interest in Super Cubs?

"Ain't it fun to have some interesting regional differences, but still be united by interest in Super Cubs?"

Yes it is.

And to think it takes a yooper by marriage to so perfectly define the term "coonass".

Is this a great website or what!

Umm Cajun Joe, where ta' heck is dat nice Eddie Bauer down parka ya bought for d' U.P, eh?

For dose of youse who ain't in on the original gag, scroll up ta da first post on da string, eh?

Tanks, eh? cubscout

K,
I get it now, Wutt Da Heck ! Sorry Joe :cry: don't quit because of me eh! Maybe I see U at OK18 and we can rasle, what ya think eH ! all in fun, no hard feelins, Take Care and watch out for them Coonass's hear they are as big as black bears down there!!!

Cub Scout, thanks for the heads up, I was just havin a bad day, I guess, Sorry to all, These forumns are a great place to hang out if Ya like Cubs

Rick, the original born and raised Yooper Cuber EH ! ;-)

"Ain't it fun to have some interesting regional differences, but still be united by interest in Super Cubs?"

Yes it is.

And to think it takes a yooper by marriage to so perfectly define the term "coonass".

Is this a great website or what!

That comment caused fine vino to shoot from my nostrils....

You guys are cracking me up!

sj

Ders a few skiplanes cruisin round up here in da UP cmon up and try it....we have lotsa fun.....I'm born and raised....Ishpeming, Ontonagon, Iron River. We talk kinda funny if yer wunderin why evryones typing da words funny....we say eh lots too. Say Ya to da UP eh.

I met a feller a few years ago who said he was from Michigan. When I asked him if he was a Yooper he sail no a troll “I live under da bridge”
icon11.png

Kills me to realize that was 7 years ago....
Well, thank God I'm still a coonass and
lovin every minute of it.

Ders a few skiplanes cruisin round up here in da UP cmon up and try it....we have lotsa fun.....I'm born and raised....Ishpeming, Ontonagon, Iron River. We talk kinda funny if yer wunderin why evryones typing da words funny....we say eh lots too. Say Ya to da UP eh

Dan,
How ya doin over dar, Lookin forward to maybe flyin over ta see ya one of these years, ???? when I finish my project, Or maybe I'll steel the brothers J3 and popin for a visit, Hope all is well in Iron River, you guys usually are a lot colder over there then we are next to the Big Lake Michigan, Little Bay De-Noc, must be the elevation Change or something, we have barely an inch of snow on the ground here in Escabananna, really sucks for winter sports, and the people who own Snow-machine's crazy whether this year......for sure.

Take Care,

Rick8)

Back