• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Strobelight troubleshooting

superbear

I have Whelan strobes on both wings right one is not working. Mine have three wires one red one blk one white , I know the tube is good just bought new one. I have tried swapping the wires around no joy have checked continuityfor broken wires they checked out okay. Any ideas anyone.

hendersoncsh.tpk.net

Good link, SB.

I've had problems with the Molex connectors on the Whelan power supply (usually installed on the cockpit side of the firewall). Jiggle them around a little. This sometimes a source of radio noise, too.

One of my EE flying friends claims the Molex is OK in stationery (e.g., bench) applications, but doesn't hold up well with vibration. Of course YOUR Supercub firewall doesn't vibrate much, eh? I pass this along as a rumour, but worth troubleshooting.

But actually, I'm not that fond of this radical new electrical technology.

That said, the Whelans are usually pretty good units, and way brighter than most of the others.

My Luddite opinion. Cubscout

One thing to also check is the integrity of the "ground" wire that wraps around the outside of the flashtube. Mine would not flash when this wire was broken, they appear to need the proximity of a ground potential around the flashtube to work.
Chris

Back