• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

A&P INFO

skippy

Hi folks, I have a question about A&P training. I'm currently enrolled in the on-line Aircraft Maintenance program at Embry-Riddle University. The program does a great job with theory and Knowledge, but being an online course it doesn't offer any hands on. I figured I would ask the folks at this great web-site for some assistance. Are there any shops in Maine that would consider helping a up and coming A&P mechanic get some hands on experience. It doesn't have to be tube and fabric specific training, I'd rather learn the hole spectrum of GA maintenance. I'm a private pilot SEL and SES. I have hope and aspirations to own my own flying business one day and I figure I better know how to fix them as well as fly them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank in advance, Mike..

I would go be an airport bum. There have got to be some shops around that need a gopher. You will learn a lot that way. I just hired a guy that is a pilot and loves airplanes but isn't a mechanic. He has mechanical aptitude and a strong desire. I think the desire with a little aptitude is the key. He loves coming to work everyday and takes home my old "Light Plane Maintenance", "TBO Advisor" magazines and shop manuals every night. He cleans parts, primes stuff and I try to teach him something everyday that is worth while. The mainthing is being around it. You pick up so much that you don't realize. I worked for the Confederate Air Force while going to A&P school and was amazed at the real world stuff I learned on the weekends being around those old crusty mechanics and cool old airplanes. If you beat the bushes at your local airports I will bet someone will see the gleam in your eye and hand you a part to clean or a wrench to hold. That is where it all starts.

Skippy: It is my understanding that in the entire state of Maine there is only 32 AI's. A third of which do not use there license. Give a call to Tony C at Millinocket( West Branch Aviation) I am sure he would be willing to give you some invaluable guidance if not a job. John

Steve: I agree, being an airport bum is a great way to learn about airport operations and maintenace. I was the local airport bum for a number of years at a small New Hampshire airport ( Twin Mt ). I learned more on the flying end than maintenance. I used to fly with the owner/ operator who gave scenic airplane rides. Great mountian experience as well as short field. Unfortunately the A&P was killed in an automobile accident and they never hired a new one to work at the airport. If I get some spare time from my " real job" I'll look around and see what I can find. Mike.

John: I see you live in china, I'm right around the corner in Somerville.
I'll call tony, but Millinocket will be quite a trek for me. I was also going to check with waterville or maybe old town. Thanks for the Info. Mike.

Mike: Waterville has this Cuban guy as the only A&P and he seems to be very underworked. I was exposed to a real crackerjack over in Bar Harbor his name is Leroy and he worked on My Comanche. When I walked through his shop a month back he had everything from a 185 to a T34. He also assists the commuters coming in and out. Leroy started of as a ramp jockey for the airlines and ended up as the A&P. Give him a call. John

Do ya'll know a guy named Cedric in Maine? He has a 150 hp Clipper and I believe he has built a real nice PA12 I saw him flying in FL in 2002.

Try Bel-Air / Twin Cities out of KLEW. They seem to do a good job but still have a down home atmosphere

Steve i know cedric abbott.He is a real clever guy.Ver well thought of.Lots of Ap i/A's seek his advice.He is an atp plus master metal and fabric guy.Lots of guys have got their a/p under him. Phil

Steve i know cedric abbott.He is a real clever guy.Ver well thought of.Lots of Ap i/A's seek his advice.He is an atp plus master metal and fabric guy.Lots of guys have got their a/p under him. Phil

He owns an STC I am interested in, do you happen to have a good phone number for Cedric? His number on airnav (207) 336-2626 is no longer good.

Thanks

Last edited:
I would get your A&P, and then be cautious about how you use it. I have been an A & P for over 40 years, and there is stuff I will not touch - a Bonanza, for instance, or a turbine engine. Experience and a license are two vastly different things. The license makes it easier to gain experience. Once you are licensed be careful what you sign. Mechanic liability insurance starts around four grand a year.

opinion

Back