• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Lycoming Cyl.

T.J.

Alaska
f555280f.jpg

Interesting picture of a New Lycoming cylinder with 40 hrs since new. Compression was 10#. Notice the copper marks on the valve seat? That is the only area that the valve was touching the seat. I tried to lap the valve to the seat, didn't work. I sent it to Werner Reimer, he had to recut the seat and grind the valve. I wonder if this cylinder was built on Monday?

This has been a problem with virtually all the new cylinders. I thought they had this problem pretty much fixed, but apparently not. notice also that the seat is too wide also. They are not doing the 3 angle valve job anymore and it is also causing leakage problems. When i install new cylinders, the first thing I do is remove the valves and check to see if the seat was ground correctly. If not i send the cylinders out and have the valve seat reground with the 3 angle grind.

Anyone have any experience with the new ECI Titan cylinders (parallel valve Lycomings)? Thinking about going with them next time. Crash

Crash I have a set on order right now. I have installed lots of Milleniums with no problems. Customer wants Titan Nickel so we will see. I know the rings and piston are installed. They say all you need to do is pull the piston out enough to slip the pin in and bolt them up. Easier said than done with only 2 hands. The Titans also don't come with piston pins or rocker shafts so they end up costing about the same.

Steve Pierce said:
Crash I have a set on order right now. I have installed lots of Milleniums with no problems. Customer wants Titan Nickel so we will see. I know the rings and piston are installed. They say all you need to do is pull the piston out enough to slip the pin in and bolt them up. Easier said than done with only 2 hands. The Titans also don't come with piston pins or rocker shafts so they end up costing about the same.

Steve,

I got a set of steel Titans last week and they did come with rocker shafts but no piston pins ($45 ea. extra). Also, any shop can o'haul *steel* jugs, so you get 2-3 times the hours out of it.

I would use steel for my own bird. Customer wanted nickel. From the looks of the inside of this engine it needs to be flown a lot more. :(

Back