• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Dimension needed: Lift strut to wing hinge

Bugs66

Spokane WA
Hi Folks.
I would appreciate another measurement for my Super Cub experimental. From the lift strut hole centerline to the wing hinge hole centerline the best I can determine from the drawings is about 112.5" give or take. I would appreciate a measurement from anyone else.
Just in case I confused anyone what I am looking for, here is a diagram:

strutdimension.gif

Thanks for your help.

Bugs

I'll bump this question one more time to try and catch the weekday crowd. Hoping someone has a wing off and can measure for me.

Thanks.

I was planning to get you this measurement when you first posted it, but after many trips out and still forgetting, I've gone out for the sole purpose and I get (on Smith extented wings) 115 and 9/16" center to center.I don't know if this well help?

Ron B said:
I was planning to get you this measurement when you first posted it, but after many trips out and still forgetting, I've gone out for the sole purpose and I get (on Smith extented wings) 115 and 9/16" center to center.I don't know if this well help?

Thank you very much! That's interesting. It will be interesting to see what TJ comes up with.

I am wondering how much play you have to work with on the strut fork adjustment? Seems this measurement is going to vary. I would like to get as close as I can though.

Frank T said:
Don't you have a copy of the NorthLand CD? It will be on there.

I have the Northland and various other Piper drawings and no it is not on there that I could find. The closest the drawings have is to the center hole inside the wing, not the hole outside the wing.

Hello Bugs

I am just curious why you are looking for that dimension. You are right ---that dimension is not listed. All the other dimensions and degrees for all the holes drilled in the wing are listed. Your hole ends up outside the wing where it ends up according to the placement of the holes in the wing and the corresponding holes in the fitting. The reason I am asking is I think there are some uncovered stock wings in Big Lake I could get to if needed to get the measurements and then compare them to the prints. Just not quite sure what you are doing.

Edit: Bugs---I can tell you I adjusted the size of the PDF prints to the proper dimension ---measured off print dimensions and came up with 113.925in. Could very well be wrong---but a fun puzzle all the same. Paperwork diversion---thanks! See how many numbers we get-----TJ??

Mark

AkPA/18 said:
Hello Bugs

I am just curious why you are looking for that dimension...Mark

Hi Mark,
To answer your question, I have an experimental wing kit from D&E aircraft, and although I am very pleased with kit quality, the manual and plans are not reliable. I have to rely mostly on the Piper drawings. My strut attach fittings are not exactly the same as Piper so I want to make sure my fittings have this dimension as accurate to stock Piper as possible. If you have a chance to measure your wings, I would appreciate that measurment as well. Thanks!

Bugs

Thanks Bugs---that explains a lot. See the edit above--I think I am pretty close there but I would verify print numbers you haven't used before as Piper numbers have been known to be wrong in some instances.

Mark

AkPA/18 said:
Thanks Bugs---that explains a lot. See the edit above--I think I am pretty close there but I would verify print numbers you haven't used before as Piper numbers have been known to be wrong in some instances.

Mark

Thanks, I'll play with my PDF file a bit more to see what I get. Nothing like a few solid measurements from a real wing though! I use a framing square/triangle set on the spar to measure c/l to c/l. We'll see what we get.

Bugs:
Apologize for the delay. I could not get anyone to hold the "dumb" end of the tape. I tried Ol Bear Dog but he spit it out. Didn't taste like moose I guess. Dang dog, I'm gonna trade him for a cat, then use the cat for wolf bait!
I did it 3 times with a square from the genuine Piper spar strut bolt hole to the fuselage attactment bolt hole. I get 115 3/16". + or -. Pretty close to what Ron came up with,
If your not in a hurry, give me a couple days and I will get someone to hold the end of the tape and see if I come up with a more accurate reading.

T.J. Hinkle said:
...I did it 3 times with a square from the genuine Piper spar strut bolt hole to the fuselage attactment bolt hole. I get 115 3/16". + or -. Pretty close to what Ron came up with,
If your not in a hurry, give me a couple days and I will get someone to hold the end of the tape and see if I come up with a more accurate reading.

TJ,
Thanks a bunch for this measurement! This will help me a lot. Nothing like taking an actual measurement from a couple finished wings. You came pretty close to Ron's, as you said. I am not in a huge hurry if you have time to double check. I appreciate your help.

It also makes me wonder what folks who have widebody fuselages do. Seems they would need shorter struts. I am also wondering how much adjustment there is in the fork to compensate for the variances.

Bugs66 said:
It also makes me wonder what folks who have widebody fuselages do. Seems they would need shorter struts.

??
Might want to think about that one again. :D

S2D said:
Bugs66 said:
It also makes me wonder what folks who have widebody fuselages do. Seems they would need shorter struts.

??
Might want to think about that one again. :D

Yeah, you are right, it was late last night. The fuselage width has nothing to do with it because everything just moves out horizontally as long as the fuse is a constant width.
:oops:

Bugs, on my d&e wings the measurement was in the plans sheets not the book. I don't think it is too critical as I plan to measure the strut length after the wings are mounted with correct rigging. Then build the struts. I guess if you wanted to buy stock cub struts you need the same dimensions. How about some gallery pics. I would like to see them.

Dan2+2 said:
Bugs, on my d&e wings the measurement was in the plans sheets not the book. I don't think it is too critical as I plan to measure the strut length after the wings are mounted with correct rigging. Then build the struts. I guess if you wanted to buy stock cub struts you need the same dimensions. How about some gallery pics. I would like to see them.

Hi Dan! Great to hear from you again. I do want to use stock lift struts, so I am being as accurate as I can.

You asked and I shall deliver, here is my new photo log: http://supercubproject.sturmcity.net/

Just got it up and running.

Bugs:
I smeared some moose meat on the dumb end of the tape today, and Ol Dog finally held it for me! :D
I came up with what I think is a fairly accurate measurement. Same as above, 115 3/16. I'd use it on my wing. A 1/4 inch error should be no problem correcting, using the forks, if the fuselage is straight.

T.J. Hinkle said:
Bugs:
I smeared some moose meat on the dumb end of the tape today, and Ol Dog finally held it for me! :D
I came up with what I think is a fairly accurate measurement. Same as above, 115 3/16. I'd use it on my wing. A 1/4 inch error should be no problem correcting, using the forks, if the fuselage is straight.

Thanks again TJ, this helps me a lot. I do have a problem to make that dimension work for me. The best I can do is about 114.5, maybe 114.75 before my strut attach hits a rib. Will have to think through.

Can you move the rib? Rib location is not set in stone. If you moved the rib an inch one way or the other, I doubt it would make a difference. Just a thought.

T.J. Hinkle said:
Can you move the rib? Rib location is not set in stone. If you moved the rib an inch one way or the other, I doubt it would make a difference. Just a thought.

Yes I can, that might be the best option. I'll check it out tonight.

I'd set the lift strut attachments up in the proper place then move ribs wherever. Rib placement is not in anyway critical. Within reason of course.
I just did it on XP. I used flull length ailerons for flaps, and shorten the aileron about 8 inches. This is a bit different than most. Usually the full length aileron is used and the flap is shortened. I had to move ribs and pully attach points to fit. Thats the good thing about an Experimental, do what ever it takes to make it fit!

Hey Bugs, did you get enough dimensions to feel comfortable with? I can layout the detail parts in the computer (CAD) and get you the "theoretical" dimension if you still need it.
Cheers,

WeBSlo said:
Hey Bugs, did you get enough dimensions to feel comfortable with? I can layout the detail parts in the computer (CAD) and get you the "theoretical" dimension if you still need it.
Cheers,

Yes, TJ's and Ron's gives me what I need. Thanks for the offer though. With these dimensions and D&E's attach fittings I need to either notch the a rib for clearance or move one over around 3-4 inches. I don't care much for the way it looks moved over. Thinking about notching now. Wouldn't be so bad. I guess if you buy D&E struts his are adjustable 3-4 inches in all directions. I want to stick with stock Cub struts.

Hello Buggs

I got a chance to measure those wings. It was a stock 1975 wing uncovered. It measured 115 1/16 in.

Mark

Back