• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

180 H.P. which moutnt? Dynofocal or Conical?

pzinck

western,me
When i researched my 180 conversion some years ago,everyone was saying dynofocal way too heavy up front. Is that true? It seems like lots of people have opted for that option.I did the cubcrafter c4p with solid crank and conical,and it seems a little nose heavy,course swinging the big prop.Have both the 82-42 and the pawnee Prop 84 i beleive.Dont see much difference.I was wondering how the dynofocals are? did i make the correct choice. I cant imagine having any more weight up there.are the dynofocals lighter or heavier.At the time i was told dyno would add almost 15 lbs up there,is that true? Course with a little power dragging her in with droops it doesnt feel heavy,but if the powers chopped ,better trim her back. Thanks peoples.

I went dynafocal on the advice of several good rebuilders and guides. One guy that had one (PA-18-180) of each. He said the one with a straight mount viberated too much and sold the plane because of it. Mine is very smooth running. The dynafoacl mount and rubbers are about 5 lbs or so heavier then a straight mount. My CG changed from 11.06 to 11.00 going from a 160 hp to 180 hp engine. It is not nose heavy at all. I noticed no difference in power off landings. Crash

Crash

Crash, what are you running for prop?. Did you do any other mods to save weight up there,besides the obvious (starter,oil cooler,alternator).Mine isnt terrible,but it is a little nose heavy,i wondered how the lighter prop would feel.Does the cruise prop for the 180 deliver acceptable short field performance versus the long paddle wheel.I also wonder if it is because of the rear part of the fuselage being light. I bet the cubs with stuff out back feels more balanced with the bigger powerplant up front. Didnt some planes have removable weights for the rear of the fuselages years ago? I think i can remember seeing a maule or some plane with weights for solo use. If i remember this was part of the design ,not a owner desined enhancement.Damn my memory stinks,of course it wasnt relevant to me at the time. Perhaps i should pay more attention!!!!! Probably one of the line girls walked by or something and nothing mattered at that point. As always any thoughts or advice greatly appreciated. Like i said some of you be smart fellas,and smart gals.

Good thoughtGround loop

Ground loop, i bet you are correct,i will do some research on that. Does that mod make the fronts look funny? Is it just me,or are the noses really noticeably changed?

pzink, The nose will look considerably different. Repainting of cowling to realign stripes is necessary.

Not saying what prop I am running, but I've heard it said that you can take two turns off the trim crank handle if you go from an 1A200 to a P235. Part of making an O-360 work in a Cub is keeping the balance of the plane in mind during the rebuild process. Get rid of everything not needed up front (vacuum system, extra instruments, electrical on the firewall, extra solenoids, etc) install extended rear baggage for balance, etc. etc. You really have to build one up from scratch to get it right. Slapping an O-360 on the front of an already heavy Cub or one that is heavy in the front end and light in the rear doesn't work very good. Take care. Crash

Back