• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Overvoltage

jon

wisconsin
What are you fellow builders using for over voltage protection?
I was told that the crowbar method with a relay will do.
Jon

If you're doing a homebuilt...I like to use a Honda Civic regulator. A bit more complicated to wire than the simple chrysler style's one in one out but well worth it. Ive been running the same GILL-25 battery since 1995 and it still has full voltage and still cranks my 0-320 over like a charm. When running it gives about 14.2v. Has an overvoltage circuit as well as an idot light circuit for failure. Note that I've only topped this battery once in almost 10 years as well..so runs a perfect charging current/voltage.

Cheers,
Wayne

Stochiometric. Actually spelled stoichiometric, but becoming "proper" a little at at time through "common [mis]usage"." 1) the determimation of the atomic weights of elements, the proportions in which they combine,and the weight relations in any chemical reaction. 2)the branch of chemistry dealing with the relationships of elements in combination, esp. with quantitative relationships. "

So, how are you meaning this, Phil? Are you complimenting Irishfield for the perfect chemical prosesses he is maimtaining in his dynamo? :angel: :drinking:

Yup

Exactly,sounds like he got his stuff together.Some of you guys be smart fellas.

I went to a local auto wrecker and bought an almost new alternator from a Susuki Sidekick. It's small light, produces 55 amps. It's got an internal regulator and it's easy to wire. It also can be wired to illuminate an idiot light when it's not charging. Total cost $75 CDN. It sure looks an awfull lot like the light weight units being sold as "aircraft" alternators.
As far as voltage regulation goes you guys spend far too much time and money weighing down your planes and making them too complicated.
The voltage regulation in modern alternators is superb, lets face it there are millions of cars running around without electrical problems.
Most of the overvoltage problems encountered in the past where to do with older alternators with external regulators which did fail. That stuff was built 40 years ago and things have changed.
Another thing is that most radios etc. today have internal regulation of their own and are unaffected by voltage, spikes or even polarity in some cases. It's because the manufacturer's have to protect themselves from people abusing their stuff.
It's very easy to make a mount to stick one of these alternators on a Lycosaurus .

Back