• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Bendix vs. Slick Mags

cubscout

FRIEND
First of all, many thanks to all who've constructively replied to my previous queries. I value this site for the forthright discussions it stimulates.

What's your experience been with Bendix vs. Slick magnetoes?

I've personally had two Slick impulse couplings shell out in the last ~15 years on O-360's, (one the old 'throwaway', one current design), and know of another nearby operator with a newish Slick with the same experience on an O-540
Fortunately, these all happened on takeoff roll, pilot noticed something amiss, no one hurt, but significant downtime to tear down and clean out the shrapnel. In one case, significant accessory case/gears damage.

Slick was (let's be generous here) lame in their warranty response, and the good local shops ate quite a bit of time and expense. [Support your local shops! Business relationships DO matter!]

But then there's a rumour that the current Bendix implulse coupling AD may be shortened even further.

Not to Rant and Rave, but why is the ol' reliable Bendix subject to an AD, and the Slick not? I don't have enough statistical data upon which to plot a curve.

Not trying to stoke a Ford/Chevy p*ssing contest here, just to get some solid advice on the best options going forward. Well, and maybe throw a few more cobs in the old stove this winter, it's gettin' kinda cold....

Thanks. Cobscout

I put slicks on my PA32 to get around the Bendix AD. Two years later an AD came out on the slicks (for six cyl engines). By that time the slicks were throwing such a feeble current, that hot starts were a bi**h. This on an o-540 (not the io-540). Stick with the Bendix.
Ken

I put slicks on my 12 for one reason. By the time I overhauled the bendix I was inchen toward buying new slicks mags, harnesses,plugs,a cool T shirt and a 150 rebate. It was a no brainer. If bendix had offered the same I would have used bendix. Brand New Mags vs. 4500 hr. overhauled who knows how many times.

The 500 hr impulse coupling AD is not that big of a deal to me. The Slicks should have the "e" gap checked and adjusted every 500 hrs. as well. They tend to get hard to start and upon adjusting the "E" gap they are pretty reliable again in my book. I have had more mag problems with Slicks. Simple things like carbon tracks, burnt coils and a few unexplained shut downs. I like Bendix for reliability but they are expensive to rebuild and with Slicks rebate and incentive programs it makes it hard to stick with them.

Both are good.........

Both Slick and Bendix make good magnetos. If pressured into making a choice between the two, I'd choose the old Bendix simply because I can take it apart and fix it in the field. Parts for the Bendix mags are readily available although not cheap. If I bought a plane that had slicks on it, I wouldn't change them, I'd just wear them out and possibly change them out later on... but maybe not. The AD note at 500 hour intervals is not that big of a deal anyway.

My 2 bits (inflation) worth.

Mike

Slicks are better than they used to be. They are still a throw away mag. Thats why they offer the rebate, incentive, they don't want you to overhaul them. They "sometimes" will make 2000 Hrs.
Bendix has the AD Steve mentioned. I agree, it's no big deal. I don't own any Slicks, all mine are Bendix.

Both work well when they are properly maintained. I've seen rotors melted in bendix and distributors cracked in slick.

Find out which your mechanic likes to work on best and use that. Set the e-gap each 500 hrs and replace the rotor, distributor and points each 1000 hrs.

If properly inspected and maintained both should make TBO.

Hi guys, the discussions I found on the search of this topic are a few years old.
What's the latest on this question and is it still the case of throwing out the Slick at overhauling and getting new ones?
How about the overhaul cost of the Bendix?

Cheers,
Denis.

Bendix mags are exactly 3 pounds heavier than slick. You might consider an electronic ignition also.

Bill

Hi guys, the discussions I found on the search of this topic are a few years old.
What's the latest on this question and is it still the case of throwing out the Slick at overhauling and getting new ones?
How about the overhaul cost of the Bendix?

Cheers,
Denis.

Denis,
I am running two Slicks on a then new O-320 since 2011. It's on an experimental. There are two blast tubes to them to help with cooling.
Both Slicks are performing flawlessly passed 3,000 hours. I've read a lot of negative comments on those mags and I have a brand new spare Slick just in case.
I let you know when they fail.
PS. The mags were manufactured in 2008.

No throw away mag, Slick.

We (the aviation maintenance industry) are overhauling them, and parts are readily available.

The 500 hour check and "e-gap"/"internal-timing" adjustment are strongly recommended.

One or the other, Slick or Bendix, both do the job. I dont have an answer on the recent Bendix overhaul cost

Seems to me they modified that Bendix impulse AD, and now it only applies to specific models, not all. I think they did that maybe eight years ago?

Sent out a Bendix about 4 years ago for OH. 550 dollars, yellow tagged. That said, I have given up on OH mags. The core inventory is so decrepit it is not worth buying OH anymore. My understanding is since Continental took over Bendix mags they are flushing out the old cores with brand new units. I am told there is a good chance that if you purchase an OH unit from Continental there is a good chance it is new so the situation may have improved. That said, I just buy new mags when needed. I have had a lot less troubles since I started doing that.

I am not a fan of slicks. They work fine when they work but I had problems with timing issues even factory new with only 160 hrs. I sent out a set of old Bendix and had a complete overhaul done for around 600 bucks each 500 hour inspect is 350 bucks. This included inspection of the harness for no charge. Aircraft Magneto Service is who I used and will do so again.
DENNY

Seems to me they modified that Bendix impulse AD, and now it only applies to specific models, not all. I think they did that maybe eight years ago?

Only applies to the 540 series now. Find lots of logbook entries of others still doing them on 4 cylinders.

Since Champion fixed their point wear I have not had any issues with them if I do the 500 hour e-gap adjustment and inspection. Always had great service out of Bendix. Serveral overhaulers that can rebuild what you have when needed.

In my experience, a Bendix throws a hotter spark than a Slick.
They will fire a high-time (aka high-resistance) plug long after a Slick will not.
Like I always tell a buddy of mine,
I think a bendix mag would fire a carrot if you could get the harness lead screwed onto it.

Hotrod, put yer hand on this one. I want You to measure if it sparks any less than that one!!

:)

In my experience, a Bendix throws a hotter spark than a Slick.
They will fire a high-time (aka high-resistance) plug long after a Slick will not.
Like I always tell a buddy of mine,
I think a bendix mag would fire a carrot if you could get the harness lead screwed onto it.
I'm no fan of Slicks, though it is possible that they have improved since I formed that opinion. Hot spark? Look at the color. If the spark is long, fat and blue it is strong. If it is short, thin and yellow it may not fire the plugs.

To anyone: i would recommend performing spark plug resistance tests at annual or 100hour rather than worrying which magnetos to buy.

I'm no stranger to high voltage equipment, and it always amazed me that the dim spark from a Slick was hot enough to ignite gas....sparks should be hot enough to scare you.

To anyone: i would recommend performing spark plug resistance tests at annual or 100hour rather than worrying which magnetos to buy.

Here's a how-to from the troubleshooting page of Aircraft Magneto Service's website.
http://www.aircraftmagnetoservice.net/magneto-troubleshooting-guide

• Pick out lead deposit clinkers, inspect the barrel for cracked insulator, inspect the nose core for cracks.
  • Clean and inspect the plug (correct gap for most plugs is .015” to .019” consult your plug specifications).
  • Take an OHM Meter and measure the resistance value from the connection in the bottom of the barrel to the clean center electrode at the firing end, electrode must be bare metal.
  • A new Champion plug will have a value of 800 to 1200 OHMS. New Tempest (formerly Unison-Autolite) will measure 1000 OHMS. Replace any plug above 5000 OHMS.
  • A spark plug bomb tester can test a bad plug and lead you to conclude it is serviceable. The OHM Meter check is simple, readily available, and amazingly accurate in finding misfiring plugs

Back