• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Toyota starters, alternators

Dan2+2

Paducah, KY
I have found a source for a toyota starter and alternators for the 0320. The RV guys have used them for years.35 amp for 65$ and 60 amp for 90$.Small and lightweight too. He also has pulleys to slow down the alternator.His add is in the back of EAA's magazine, Mark Landoll Newcastle OK, 405-392-3847. Has anyone used his stuff? The RV websites seem to be satisfied with it.

toyota alternators

I believe Niagara air parts sells these, and I also think several folks have gotten field approvals for them. I have not heard anything bad, other than a need to have a way to shut it down in case of an overcharge. If I remember right, it's the nippondenso alternator (forgive my spelling). I do not know anything about the starter.

Joe

Alternator

I installed the Nippon Denso alternator purchased from Niagara in my certified Cub about 3 years ago. I had to fabricate a new bracket; the one supplied by Niagara didn't fit. Other than that, it works great. I installed the larger pulley supplied by Niagara. I figured that lowering the peak rpm would improve reliability and my Cub doesn't need a lot of current.

I also installed an overvoltage crowbar circuit (not supplied by Niagara). It would trip occasionally after starting until I installed a snubber diode on the starter solenoid.

I doubt I could get a field approval on this today even though it is clearly superior to the original generator installation.

Regards,
Steve

PS - Editing to correct a brain freeze about the pulley.

So what is the total cost of this alternator with regulater and overvoltage relay, and brackets?

$175 from Niagara Air Parts.
http://www.niagaraairparts.com

The built-in regulator in the Nippon Denso alternator has no overvoltage protection. You must add some sort of OV protection external to the alternator to protect against a runaway regulator. You should test it annually.

Niagara now sells an OV interrupter, which wasn't available 3 years ago. I used the OV crowbar module from B&C: OVM-14
http://www.bandcspecialty.com/cgi-bin/ez-catalog/cat_display.cgi?26X358218

Aeroelectric describes rolling your own OV crowbar and testing them in articles available here:
http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles.html

Regards,
Steve

If you are looking for a lightweight starter,go to ebay. Look for airboat stater with 149 th. or 122th. I just received mine and it look pretty good,I have paid $175.00 for the 149th.It weigh 9 pounds. It look almost like the B&C unit! :wink:

Claude

Frenchy, Thanks for the info. Thats the kind of information I like. Does this starter bolt right on or does it require a seperate bracket? If it takes a bracket was it supplied with the starter? Thanks dan2+2.

Hi Dan!

The starter bolt right on,no bracket needed,ready to go,you don`t need outside soleniod ``relay`` anymore.the solenoid is on the starter.

Frenchy

Frenchy, The Ebay site has them shown with a 250 dollar price. Did you offer a lower bid to get it for 195 dollars? Dan.

Hi Dan!

The BUY IT NOW price may be $250 but the reserve is $175.00, You can bid $175.00 and wait, If nobody else bid over you, you win!That`s how i got mine.

Frenchy

Sorry about my english!

Thanks Frenchy, I have never purchased anything from Ebay, thus I am ignorant of the procedure. Your English is great so keep posting. I was curious if you are building an exp. cub? If you are how about some specs. or pictures? I worked on my fuselage until midnight last night putting in the 3/8 x.028 uprights in the rear fuselage with my lincoln tig welder.I will add some photos to the gallery sometime.

HI Again!

Yes my project is experimental.I bought a wrecked 90HP supercub to begin with.Work already done:Replace bottom longerons, left door for seaplane operation,dynafocal engine mount for o-320 e2d upgrade to 160HP,new landing gear,Toe brake with new homemade brake system to replace the expender tubes and keep original light 4 ins wheels,my brake system is lighter than the old one but was a lot of work in a really tight space,new cowling,new panel with basic instruments. I `m working today on my airbox,i want a bigger air filter on it, they usually use the same filter for an 85 HP or 160 HP , i think the bigger engines needs more air!I already have a lightweight stater,i will instal a suzuki Forsa alternater + PC625 odyssey battery.I didn`t work on my wings yet, they will be extended with ailerons move outboard and longer fowler flaps, they will also have VGs. I hope i can keep the EW. under 1050pounds. I own a set of PK1800 to put under,they are at least 50 pounds lighter than edo 2000 .
I also own a 1941 j4E with a 0-200 to fly during the SC rebuild, i will probably be able to fly on skis this weekend!

Keep on building!
Salut
Frenchy

That sounds like it will be a fun plane. Here in KY there isn't much need for floats or skis. I'm building a wagaero 2+2, the D&E wings are ready to cover. Extended alerions and 8 ft. flaps. I worked on the fuse last night adding stringers in the tail portion but still have alot to do. I have a 0320 b2d 160 horse I may use helicopter pistons in. I read somewhere that the "OLD" lycoming cam also gave an increase in performance so will look into that. The bigger filter for more airflow was a thought I had also and I was thinking about one similar to the RV airplanes style.I also have a 40 J4A that I soloed in and fly whenever possible. I got my PPL in sept. this year so I dont push the weather alot yet as far as crosswinds etc.What are you going to do about the exhaust? I am thinking 4 into 1 with a lightweight Flowmaster streetrod stainless muffler. I can't decide whether to keep heel brakes like my J4 or toe brakes. The toe brakes would be easier to fabricate. Anyway I will keep flying and working on my project. Danny

toyota starters/alternators

I tried to put the lightweight starter on my 150 h.p. cub and found that the oil cooler bracket could not be re installed. what are my options guys? Greg

Greg:
Did you get the Skytec starter? You have to modify the original bracket to clear the starter or get one from C.C. Its a pain, unless you have a pattern to work from. That's why I went with the Electrosystems Magnaflight starter. It bolts right up.

Toyota starters

Thanks T.J. I fabricated a new oil cooler mount last week end ant flew 5 hrs. today and everything works good, the new starter starts the engine much easier than the old one. I had to replace the steel oil line that ran over the engine center flanges with a hose and that works fine. Greg

Back