• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

P-Ponk ?????

Skip,

I added carb temp to my EDM700 and have experimented a little with partial carb heat. It does appear to even out the EGT a little but my average flight is short enough that it doesn't matter much.

Stewart

SB, there's a gal who flies a white and yellow 180 from her home/your cabin to your home/Anch. and does many of those flights with partial carb heat.

With a carb. temp gauge in a 180, an important element of my 'panel scan' is "carb. temp"/"carb heat control". A pushbutton lock control helps.

June? Last winter I had a long talk with her over dinner and she said she was selling the 180. Did she?

Stewart

I like june, like a second mom, just don't cross her!...

she would always buy 9 1/2? gallons of gas when hauling each load of fish from her fish camp on the kvichak west side....

Mike, details on the fuel injected P-Ponk? STC, field approval etc?

sketchy memory on paperwork part, think it was an abandoned STC that we used as data and got field approved then.....

will see if logs are still at one of the hangers at airport next time I visit....

maybe someone else here knows the paperwork basis details???

edit...
I remember, call BJ's Custom engines in Palmer AK, they had the info

Last edited:
I don't see a fuel system modification going through via field approval according to the current inspectors handbook. SJ doesn't need fuel injection anyway. ;-)

I don't see a fuel system modification going through via field approval according to the current inspectors handbook. SJ doesn't need fuel injection anyway. ;-)

ah but its FAA approved data.....stc'ed... just abandoned... or something like that...

but oh you are right.. this was before the change with field approvals in 2003~ ..... hmmmm

I've got a field approval for fuel injection in-process right now. It will happen.

....and it's a Continental system with return to the fuel tanks via a "T" into the crossover vent line and back into the RH wing tank.
...no header tank.

D

How are you going about the approval? I see fuel system modifications are on the list of mods that has to go to engineering.

(DER) have never been down that road yet, aprox what does that cost to do?

Not knowing the scoop on how Danes paperwork was coming along for the dual exhaust, I had Knisley build up a bigger set of duals. Big enough to match the 520 ports, bigger stacks, collectors, mufflers, etc... they had a DER do the paper, and if I remember right, the whole paper part of it was not more than a couple hundred bucks... Factor in the fact that I needed a complete overhaul on my exhaust system anyway, and this was a no brainier, and money well spent...
After this experience, I wouldn't hesitate to spend money on an engineer in advance again, to make a FA easier to get through...

YMMV, Rob

Who's DER?

an FAA approved "Designated Engineering Representative" is my guess....

http://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviation_industry/designees_delegations/designee_types/der/

A DER is an individual, appointed in accordance with 14 CFR § 183.29, who holds an engineering degree or equivalent, possesses technical knowledge and experience, and meets the qualification requirements of Order 8100.8.
A DER may be appointed to act as a Company DER and/or Consultant DER.
  • Company DERs can act as DER for their employer and may only approve, or recommend approval, of technical data to the FAA for the company.
  • Consultant DERs are individuals appointed to act as an independent (self-employed) DER to approve or recommend approval of technical data to the FAA.
DER Technical Disciplines

• Acoustical Engineering
  • Engine Engineering
  • Flight Analyst
  • Flight Test Pilot
  • Powerplant Engineering
  • Propeller Engineering
  • Radio Engineering
  • Structural Engineering
  • System and Equipment Engineering
The FAA Consultant DER Directory (PDF) provides a list of Consultant DERs, by state and technical discipline.

Back