• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

How to install rear throttle on Exp cub?

CptKelly

GONE WEST
NC
I am in the process of buying a EXP wide body supercub, that has two doors. It currently isn't equipped with a rear throttle. How would one install a rear throttle considering the left side door cutout? Perhaps a flexible cable of some sort, or push/pull rods? Any opinions out there?

Mike

My 12 has double doors. I left the rear throttle out, and doubt I'll ever miss it. I don't sit back there. Besides, my wife would probably use it as an "Oh Sh-t" handle when she got nervous. (I'm rationalizing.)

If you're going to use the plane for primary instruction, you've got a problem. I suppose you could fit a temporary rear seat throttle that piggy-backs to the front seat's unit. The connecting rod or cable may interfere with the left door a bit, but not too much. After all, you don't have to ask for FAA approval.

Another thought. Ursa Major parks next to a certified Cub with an STC'd left door. You might ask him to take a peek and see what that guy did, if he did anything.

SB

Check out the pictures on the Smith website. They use a rod run under the door opening, that connects to "arms" extended down from the throttle handles. You will also want to move the trim to overhead.

Frank

John Scott.....

John Scott,
Thanks, that is exactly the kind of information I am needing. There is a problem, however. The problem is that the aircraft has already been covered, so any addition of a rear throttle will be a challenge, but also, thats why I favor experimental, one can just do what they want, without the FED getting involved. I'll let you know when I get it home. There are still bridges to cross due to the 40 hour flyoff time needed.

Mike

Back