• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Engine covers

55-PA18A

SPONSOR
Dillingham, Alaska
What kind of engine covers are others out there using?

My latest is one made by Kennon. It fits OK, and seems to hold the heat pretty well. It is bulky though.

One problem I had was that the outer material is waterproof, and rain or melting snow would enter through the thread holes in the seams. The water would then run down to the bottom under the engine and freeze between the outside material and the insulation. I finally used a small butane torch and melted little holes in the nylon fabric down where the water would accumulate. That seemed to fix it. The water now just drains out.

How about prop covers. Anyone else out there use them?

If you can find a copy of the winter 2000/2001 Northern Pilot magazine they have an article on engine covers where they compare 4 different brands. (I think Stoddards might have back issues) They seemed to like Wiggy's and Tanis covers. I like the ones made by Alaska Wing Covers in Eagle River. If you can get one that fits well with a sufficient amount of insulation for your conditions I think that is the key.

I use the prop cover more to keep the snow from blowing into the prop spinner and creating an out of balance condition than I do for heating purposes- though no doubt the cover will help retain heat during preheat.

Tannis heater and cover - went with their hi-wattage one for my 150. 540 watts, 2hrs @ 0' and she is ready to go. The cover comes with a nice bag and doesn't take much room.

I have a Kennon cover from a few years ago that is the best I've ever used. It is compact and rolls up really tight. Great for little airplanes. They don't really have to be as well insulated as a -50 sleeping bag, after all. Unfortunately, I think Kennon has changed their design some. I did have to send mine back and have them add a section onto the back so it actually covered the lower cowl opening (duh).

Blade covers are a great idea when temps are really low. The aluminum prop is just a great big radiator, attached firmly to the core of your engine: the crankshaft, and it radiates heat away from the core of your engine really well. Put blade covers on and you'll raise the temperature of your engine compartment several degrees on a cool night.

MTV

Not that my plane is a cub, but I also use the Cunningham engine and prop cover. I addition, I use his mesh spoiler wing covers and cabin cover. All fit like a champ and they are esy to use when cold with gloves on.

engine covers

I also used the Cunningham engine and wing covers on a March trip to the Iditarod race. Both worked well.

The last time I saw the engine cover was when it departed my lap as I departed the road at Liard Hot Springs, but that's another story.

I too need a new engine cover. Mine (real old) still had the wood handles!! But I like the design as it incorporates a spinner cover sewn to the front that
flips down and secures with a bungee. Anybody know if Alaska Wing Covers, in ER will add on if asked? If you have their PH# handy that would work too.
Thanks,
JK

jk said:
I too need a new engine cover. Mine (real old) still had the wood handles!! But I like the design as it incorporates a spinner cover sewn to the front that
flips down and secures with a bungee. Anybody know if Alaska Wing Covers, in ER will add on if asked? If you have their PH# handy that would work too.
Thanks,
JK

I don't know if they will incorporate the spinner cover with the engine cover, but its worth asking. Give Linda (owner of Ak wing covers) a call at 696-7172. If you use a combustion type heater, you might consider a flap (velcro) over the air intakes to allow a draft for preheating. I usually run the heater hose into the lower cowl and leave the front flap open to "pull" the heat over the cylinders. Seems to work better that way.

Engine Covers

I just bought a new Cunningham Engine Cover as I have a brand new engine install, and after 15 years the one Jim Dixon of FineLine upholstery in Anchorage had worn thin on the nylon. Jim no longer makes A/C covers, so I decided to go with Lynn Cunningham's. I REALLY LIKE IT... It fits great and the prop blade and spinner covers are best I have seen. Also the insulation looks really good. Only have used it once on Saturday, it was 0F and engine heated up really nice as compared to my older cover.

There are lots of good ones out there but to update this thread having used Cunninghams and Kennon covers for years and both are gooooood covers , I was recently surprised by the quality of the covers from
Airplane-Covers.com out of Deerton , Mi , nicely done for right at HALF price!!!! Good old fashioned folks with a great product for very short money. Highly recommend these folks

Last edited:
There are lots of good ones out there but to update this thread having used Cunninghams and Kennon covers for years and both are gooooood covers , I was recently surprised by the quality of the covers from
Airplane-Covers.com out of Deerton , Mi , nicely done for right at HALF price!!!! Good old fashioned folks with a great product for very short money. Highly recommend these folks

Yup mine works great also

Glenn

Yep, I’m going to give my cover from airplane-covers.com, that just arrived in the mail, a huge :up.

I’m very happy with what showed up, especially for the price. I should add that I haven’t put it through the paces yet, and I don’t have much recent use of covers to compare with, but it seems of good quality and fits like a glove.

Glad I read this thread before I decided on a cover.

Once again SuperCub.Org has saved me some money. I decided to use the money I saved to upgrade my membership.
4DA4E4E1-AF35-4BA0-9382-330057F133FC.jpg

Attachments

• 4DA4E4E1-AF35-4BA0-9382-330057F133FC.jpg
    4DA4E4E1-AF35-4BA0-9382-330057F133FC.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 193
Yep, I’m going to give my cover from airplane-covers.com, that just arrived in the mail, a huge :up.

I’m very happy with what showed up, especially for the price. I should add that I haven’t put it through the paces yet, and I don’t have much recent use of covers to compare with, but it seems of good quality and fits like a glove.

Glad I read this thread before I decided on a cover.

Once again SuperCub.Org has saved me some money. I decided to use the money I saved to upgrade my membership.
View attachment 33925

Can you post a picture of it stowed?
guess on weight?

thanks!

Can you post a picture of it stowed?
guess on weight?

thanks!

For my application neither are critical, but now I’m curious. So far the only place it has been stowed was the back seat of my pick-up, and it fit nicely; however, based on the box it was shipped in, 12x12x20, it will be about the size of a flannel type sleeping bag and less than 8lbs. It is heavy duty, but did not feel that heavy.

Sometime in the next few days, I plan to see what bag I can stuff it in, and I will take my fish scale to it.

Less is not ALWAYS more

My Alaska Wing Covers brand engine cover with the thick insulation will allow me to shut down my 180 at 5 pm and 10 degrees F and the next morning at 9 am and 5 degrees F restart without preheat, engine temps all in the upper 30's to mid 40's. I learned this a couple of weeks ago. I am so happy!

I really like the one I got from Bruce's Custom Covers. https://www.aircraftcovers.com/ Years ago he used my 57 90 hp Super Cub as his pattern for PA-11/90 hp Super Cub cowlings. I've got a different 90 hp Super Cub now, but still have the cover. It fits great and works great.

I have one of hers, too. You should try my skinny one and see what you think.

The new FineLine cover Doug made for my buddies 180 looks very nice. It fits like a tight black nitrile glove with only one buckle and strap. I like it, as long as the velcro main closure doesnt snow up if dropped in the snow.

If my buddies 180 had the instrumentation of my plane we could do a test easily enough. I will see about taking it.

Am outta town for a few weeks this weekend so no report back on this for a while.

It will fill my baggage area if I scrunch it up and throw it back there. But if you take a minute or two it fits in a sleeping bag compression sack and gets down to a little bigger then a basketball

Glenn

My un-official, un-calibrated, fish scale says 7lbs 2ozs.

I bought a couple space blankets and I'm going to make one

Glenn

heres my "space blanket" version. Absolutely no insulating value but keeps hot air in during preheat.
weighs next to nothing and very compact. In a pinch I guess you could poke your head out the spinner hole and it would serve as an emergency poncho.
image.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 144
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 136
The only downside of no insulation is you won't have it to wrap up in if you get to stay a night out in the weather. I carry a Wiggy's bag but the engine cover for a ground cover is still something I'd want. Wing covers would make a good bivy shelter, too.

heres my "space blanket" version. Absolutely no insulating value but keeps hot air in during preheat.
weighs next to nothing and very compact. In a pinch I guess you could poke your head out the spinner hole and it would serve as an emergency poncho.

Another reason for using an insulated cover would be to keep the engine warm when you stop during the day and you're off doing something else. Or, if you're trying to keep some heat in the engine overnight and using a low BTU propane or catalytic heater.

Jim

Back