• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Even an airline station manager can get to a pilot at times

AlaskaAV

GONE WEST
Mission, TX
Out of Galena AFB, we were working with a Short's Skyvan on a flight to Utopia (USAF Indian Mountain Radar Site). Very light load made up of mail and some air cargo, no passengers. Beautiful day and no turbulence for a change. I often flew along on light loads so I could talk to those on the other end that I talked to on our HF radio and to check airport conditions. Would you believe just because I liked to fly?

At some point along the way, I got up and stood behind the flight crew so I could watch them and what was going on out front. Every so often, I would quietly sneak off and run to the rear of the aircraft where I could watch the first officer retrim the aircraft. Than I would run back forward and stand behind them again while he retrimed nose up. On this one trip, I was able to do that several times before I got caught. Talk about everyone laughing except for the first officer who had to do all the extra trimming. Easy to do on a Skyvan but impossible on a Twin Otter. I had pulled it on the Captain before so he knew what was going on.

For the bush, that Skyvan was a great aircraft to move cargo and mail. Same with our C-82 (02B) with jet assist topside.

At one point in Fairbanks, a Skyvan became covered with dirt and mud. Someone wrote on the side "The Box the Twin Otter came in". We were kind of proud of the Skyvan so we didn't wash it off and really, it looked good sitting out front of the airport coffee shop. Lots of comments, none bad of course.

Hope this file comes through. Copy and paste please.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=215531&WxsIERv=U2hvcnRzIFNDLjcgU2t5dmFu&WdsYXMg=V2llbiBDb
25zb2xpZGF0ZWQgQWlybGluZXM%3D&QtODMg=RmFybmJvcm91Z2ggKEZBQiAvIEVHTEYp&ERDLTkt=VUsgLS
BFbmdsYW5k&ktODMp=U2VwdGVtYmVyIDIxLCAxOTY4&BP=0&WNEb25u=U3Rl
dmUgV2lsbGlhbXM%3D&xsIERvdWdsY=TjQ5MTc%3D&MgTUQtODMgKE=&YXMgTUQtODMgKERD=MTMxMw%3D%3D&NEb25uZWxs=MjAwMi0wMS0yNA%3D%3D&ODJ9dvCE=&O89Dcjdg=&static=yes

Back