• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Loss of a Cessna 310 on Maui Oct 17, 04

AlaskaAV

GONE WEST
Mission, TX
Sometimes, the loss of an aircraft, crew and passengers just doesn't make sense. Weather, mechanical problems and experience I can understand of course but none of those were present in this situation. Take the case of the Cessna 310 that was lost last Sunday on a VFR night flight from Kahului, Maui to Kona, Hawai'i. It was clear, no moon but lots of very bright stars, normal winds for 9 pm. Lots of ground lights visable. The pilot, the only person on board, was also a flight instructor.

Last contact was when he informed the control tower shortly after departure that he was leaving 3000 foot for a higher altitude. The aircraft struck the 10,000 foot Haleakala Volcano at the 3,700 foot level. Witnesses at Kula near the point of contact reported the aircraft was flying level when they saw it and than saw the fire caused by impact. Engine sounds were normal.

Now here is the odd part. Haleakala is right on a direct line from Kahului to Kona and as a flight instructor on Maui, he would have known that for sure.
As mentioned just a few days ago, it is always best to wait and get all the facts but this one seems so strange to me. I will keep my thoughts to myself though.

I have flown out of Kahului many, many times and once between Kahului to Kona although it was in a 737 but even then, they went around the volcano on climbout. When at the top of Haleakala, a person can look down and see the Kahului airport and look the other way and see the big island of Hawaii. His route would have been on a direct line between the two based on where he made contact with the volcano. Contact point was about a mile up the slope from the resort I was associated with for many years.

Following is a link to one of the many stories about this loss and a link to a map of the area.

http://hawaii.hotels-us.info/images/hawaii/hawaii-map.gif

http://starbulletin.com/2004/10/21/news/story12.html

My best friend was killed in one also. He had all the ratings and hrs.
He was a serious pro. He flew over the day before, also had an a&p. checked it out and called his wife and told her it looked ok to ferry but just was a little aprehensive, his wife told me. His name was Kenneth Nertherland. Best pilot , flight instructor, turbine, ect. 25000+ I ever knew.

Look it up in FAA files if you like.

God rest his soul.

Jim & Nan Huff
Louisiana N94X

Back