• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Experimental or not

Beaver Doctor

Looking for opinions,
I am rebuilding a PA 18..., of course I have no log books. Should I go Experimental, or register it as I am the manufacturer.

Interesting...

I was not aware that someone could rebuild a Cub and list ones self as the manufacturer of the plane......???????
While I am at it are the Smith Cubs Experimental????
Sam
:roll:

You can do as Cub Crafters does and build your SC out of all PMA'd parts and have the FAA issue a standard airworthiness certificate under the provision that it was built from spare parts and issue it a serial number that does not fall within Piper's original numbers. This can be done legally but I would talk to for local FAA inspector first.

As far as Experimental do a search on the home page. There have been some very lengthy and informitive discussions on whether or not to go experimental.

Beaver doctor, do you have an original data tag? If you do, you can get enough paperwork and history from the FAA in OK. to register the aircraft. Log books help, but not always necessary. If you don't then, it would be quicker to make it experimental as it takes a lot of paperwork and DER's and flight tests to get it certified with you as the manufacturer. I am going through the process now with a brand new PA18 that I built for a customer. if you have any questions about the process call me or email me. 724-348-7077
cubsunlimited@verizon.net

Back