Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: air filters

Post Thanks / Like

air filters

what is the difference between round vs. square air intakes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mainly the year of the supercub. All supercruisers had original square units. Round are standard on all new kit and aftermarket 18's

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the square footage of the element was changed to the round one to allow more dust and dirt to be trapped before clogging the filter for operation in harsh environments.

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought I saw something on about the round elements not approved for floats, but I know I've see a lot of them on floats.....
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    All 150hp supercubs from the factory had the round air filters on them. They allow the 150 to breath better because of more area.

Post Thanks / Like
    All 150hp supercubs from the factory had the round air filters on them
    Not true.

I had a factory 1955 super cub that had a square filter.

Post Thanks / Like
    I gained static thrust and rpm with the round filter testing them back to back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cubunltd
    All 150hp supercubs from the factory had the round air filters on them. They allow the 150 to breath better because of more area.
    Cobblemaster is correct on this one... it's a sn thing not a hp thing...sn 3771-6963 had the square filter 6964 and up went to the round.

MD, I have been saving the bottom cowl and carb / air box for the very end of my rebuild to determine if I wanted to change. ( I have the square and just replaced the box with new) Did the increase you saw justify the change? I wouldn't be interested in doing it just for looks or to join the "me too" gang...but an increase in static would be a plus

Post Thanks / Like
    thought the pa-18 as a seaplane needed the air intake on top???

Post Thanks / Like
    Mikey the round filters are fine on floats as long as you don't use a paper element. You have to use a foam style filter like a Bracket air filter. The idea is the paper element could become saturated and choke out the engine. I have never seen this happen but I supose it is possible. Maybe I have just been lucky.
    Shawn

Post Thanks / Like
    Cobblemaster, you are absolutely correct about the serial number thing. I should have stated that the NEWER 150 hp supercubs had the round air filter from the factory.

Post Thanks / Like

K&N Round Air Filter

Does anyone know if K&N makes an air filter that fits the round type airbox and if so what is the part number?
    Thanks
    Dodd

StewartB

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cubunltd
    The round filter / airbox came into production on Super Cubs at around 1957 if memory serves me correctly.

Post Thanks / Like
    delete

Post Thanks / Like
    The K & N filter realy helped on my 12 with the square filter. If I remember I got 50# more thrust. On hot days with floats you realy noticed it! I would like to increse the square inches of intake area even more without going to the round filter if possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    my pa18-150 serial #18 8157 IS A 1964 AND HAS A SQUARE FILTER AND IS ON FLOATS. WOULD A AN FILTER HELP?

Post Thanks / Like
    my pa18-150 serial #18 8157 IS A 1964 AND HAS A SQUARE FILTER AND IS ON FLOATS. WOULD A AN FILTER HELP?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mikey the round filters are fine on floats as long as you don't use a paper element. You have to use a foam style filter like a Bracket air filter. The idea is the paper element could become saturated and choke out the engine. I have never seen this happen but I supose it is possible. Maybe I have just been lucky.
    Shawn
    Ever been Louisiana when it rains? Somehow the round paper filter works fine. Don't think a little spray would hurt it. Now if you flipped over ... that could be a problem for a paper filter.

Post Thanks / Like
    aren't the original ones on C-180/185 float planes paper? Do they have any problem?

Post Thanks / Like
    Was at the auto parts store today and they had a K&N display with a fan and airbox with a long clear tube with a ping pong ball inside. When I installed the Fram filter they had sitting there it wouldn't lift the ping pong ball. When I put the K&N filter in, it went to the top of the tube. I am going to take a Bracket filter up and try it.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    I've chocked a lot of Brackett filters with ice and rain, they are not a cure all, that's why there is alternate air or carb heat.

Rob, you'll probably spend around 1000 bucks to put the round filter on if you buy all the parts new off the shelf. Is that worth a little more static thrust? You'll have to decide that for yourself. If your building or rebuilding form scratch, round is the way to go.

In testing, the round filter equalled the square filter when the element was removed from the square filter. Interestingly, removing the round paper filter element actually decreased thrust (just a little). It seems that the paper round filter is breathing as good or better than wide open. If you already have the round filter, I doubt the K&N would do any better, but you never know till you try.

Post Thanks / Like
    Am I reading the chart correctly. K&N 1115 would replace the round, and K&N 1957 would replace the square one.

Steve I've also seen that display at an auto parts store. Pretty impressive.
    Gerald

StewartB
    I saw the flow demonstration at the Alaska Airman's Show. I bought a Challenger on the spot. (Challenger is the PMA'd version of K&N.)

The advantage I see is this. With a Brackett, my filter gets progressively more restricted until I replace it. With the Challenger, it gets progressively more restricted until I clean it. I'm much more likely to clean my filter than replace it. So consider the performance of either one when it's been used for 6 months. That's the best real-world test I know.

SB

Post Thanks / Like
    Am I reading the chart correctly. K&N 1115 would replace the round, and K&N 1957 would replace the square one.

Steve I've also seen that display at an auto parts store. Pretty impressive.
    Gerald

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I put on a new Univair round filter on my 59 Cub, and lost 100 RPM on take off. Didn't see any holes in the old one, I think I'll put it back on.

Ron

Post Thanks / Like

airfilters

Thanks everyone ,this is great information.I put my name on Smith Cubs list #67 for aSuper Cub kit .iI am trying to get all the info i can. I am considering the Innodyn Turbine engine also.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbaron180
    Today I put on a new Univair round filter on my 59 Cub, and lost 100 RPM on take off. Didn't see any holes in the old one, I think I'll put it back on.

Ron
    What does Univair use for a filter? Does anyone have the Fram P/N handy?

Post Thanks / Like
    delete

Post Thanks / Like
    I was mistaken about the loss in RPM with the Univair filter. I forgot my tach reads 100 low.

Ron

arcticflyr
    I gained 100 rpm static with a K/N square filter, pretty good! That was with hot oil. Here's one I just heard, not sure what to think of it. Claim is a 50 rpm increase using the 180hp fuel caps on a 150/160. I have a hard time believing it but think I'll try it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've installed the K&N filter on A new PA18 with the round airfilter and it helped. Don't have exact numbers yet. Will do some testing. Even the new owner noticed the difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    K&n filter was worth about 10 rpm for me. No extra zero on the end.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a note to clarify, the testing I did was on a 320, 360's will breath heavier. The round filter I used was a Fram. The squares were Brackett and Air Maze, both of which tested the same.

Post Thanks / Like

air filters

Big clean filters flow more air,on floats why would you even need a filter? I bet your rpm will increase without one. I know cubs that never have filters that stay on water.

Post Thanks / Like

air filters

Big clean filters flow more air,on floats why would you even need a filter? I bet your rpm will increase without one. I know cubs that never have filters that stay on water.

Post Thanks / Like

airfilters

I just found a web site on K&N filters Challenger avaition.com 937-667-0510. Seems they carry air filters for every type of aircraft.