• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

GPS now a minor alteration

Cimarron

Colorado Rockies
Talked to my Fed today about GPS installations. He told me it is now a minor alteration to install it including the antenna installation and just requires a log book entry if.......
If the GPS is certified for any IFR, even enroute only, you need to install a placard stating that the GPS is not for IFR use.
The placard needs a 337 field approval to change the aircraft operating limitations including all 16 points addressed for continued airworthiness.
This is making the installations easier? :crazyeyes:
Then after flight testing the GPS for IFR it needs another 337 to allow it to have the placard removed, again field approved.
Does anyone have a FSDO with common sense out there?

Avionics shops around these parts are REGULARLY installing hand held GPS's into panels. The Tiger I am flying tomorrow has a GPS196 in the panel, and it works slick. At less than 20% of the cost of a GNS430, and more features (except com and vor) why not?

(not saying anything bad about the 400 series. I have one in my plane, I LOVE it as an IFR platform in other planes I fly, it is top notch, just not necssary in a VFR bird, and quite heavy to boot).

sj

I have always thought that installing the 196 or 296 garmin in the panel would be great. If you already have a garmin gps installed you can by a splitter and use the same antenna.

Back