• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Wag Aero info?

Kano

Africa
I'm in for an experimental project, and after all has been said and done, nothing seems to beat Mr. Piper's design. Add together bush flight, rough fields, rough environment, simple maintenance, load capacity, duct-tape fixin', low-slow maneuverability, stock and aftermarket parts availability, all possible mods already tried-and-tested, and a bunch of aficionados that can help or advise you on each and every detail of the construction, maintenance and operation of the beast, and there is only one name coming out of my Cray mainframe computer?

Experimental is the way to go for me because I love to build things, and always find something to modify on whatever I buy, barter, or find on the ground. Not to mention that building your own plane is the best way to know and understand it down to the last screw, and that you can spread the expense over as long or as short a period you may have to.

Although I've got lots of info on all the best Cub-like kits and parts, I'd like to have some on the Wag Aero.

Does anyone around here have experience with the Wag Aero 2+2? I'd like info about this plane/kit. The Wag site's page on the 2+2 is still in construction, and I don't even have their specs.

How well made is the kit, how does the aircraft handle, and any other comment and comparison to an equivalent Piper??

Any other input welcome!

Thanks

Wag Aero?

When one looks at the Wag-Aero catalog, where the aircraft kits are, they describe some aspects of their kits, among these are "increased gross weight". However, it doesn't provide any details. So, I called Wag. They said that they didn't know about the increased gross, and to call back. So, I called back. They still couldn't tell me anything about the specs on their aircraft kit. They said they would send me a spec sheet. When I received the spec sheet, the gross weight, and all other specs were just a copy of the certified J3 spec sheet. If Wag knows that little about what they are trying to sell, they aren't for me.

Mike

The 2+2 is basically a PA14 design. If this is what you want , go for it and get as much info as you can for the PA14 and build it that way. As far as the gross weight is concerned , set your own limit as you are the builder as long as you keep it reasonable and in accordance with what is available for the PA14. I believe you can go to 1935 lbs. Do it with those mods in mind and you shouldn't have any problems.

cubsunlimited@verizon.net

I have a 2+2 built from plans not Wags "kits" so can't comment too much on them. However, from dealings with Wag-Aero I suspect their kits aren't too much more than a collection of parts. I would specificly ask about the availability of any manuals or instructions.

As to gross weight, in the USA, the builder can set the gross weight to what he says it is. In the prints provided by Wag the 2+2 is listed as having a gross weight of 2200 lbs. Wag also says the empty weight is 1080 for a useful load of 1120 lbs. Most 2+2's I have seen have empty weights of 1200 to 1350 lbs. I did see one in Wasilla that was under 1100 empty but it was non-electric, 150 hp narrow deck, no interior no radios, small tires.

Biggest problem with 2+2 design is there is not a option for flaps in their plans or design so you will be on your own for solving this issue. You can see more info on my plane at http://www.mosquitonet.com/~crisen39/
or e-mail me direct for any specific questions.

Wag-Aerp

About 4 years ago I bought a Wag-Aero Wag-A-Bond from the constructor. I think that is the PA-17. I really enjoyed that plane, although it was a bit squirrely on landing. It had an O-290, so it had good power and would carry more weight than you could fit into it.

The beauty of the plane was that it had great performance but was very cheap. We bought it for $27,000 and sold it for $24,000 two years later.

Mark Potter

wag aero

I built an experimental super (L-4) cub about fifteen years ago using Wag Aero plans as a starting point. During construction (8 years) I looked at literaly dozens of Super Cubs in various states of disrepair, repair, wreck or neglect and what I saw was that no two cubs are alike. I didn't use any of Wags kits however, but built all from scratch and scrounge. I copied a PA-12 STC for the flaps and made all of the other mods I thought made sense. All of this happened before Daytona Cub, Dakota Cub, Northstar, etc....
The end result is 909 lbs. empty, B&C 8 amp alternator w/ small gell cell, no starter, no muffler, 118 hp O-235, panel mount nav-com, nav lights, strobes, and just recently, stall fences and VG's. Solo it gets off faster than a 180hp, lands slower, and cruises 95mph @ 2400 and 6gal/hr. All for less than $15,000. Sure there are things I would do differently if I had it all to do over again, but after 14 years and 1200 hours I'm basically happy with the end result. It's not a heavy hauler but for going fishing and mashing bugs, it's great. My advice......get some plans, look at and read everything you can get your hands on, and build away.

I Have almost 1000 hours on my 2+2 . 1143#. empty, 2200# gross. If you can fit it in the door it will fly. Great all around airplane, but not a Supercub.

Tim

Back