• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Engine mounts

jon

wisconsin
Building a Smith Cub with a Mattituck TMX360 and dynafocal mount.
What vibration mount should I use? Aircraft Spruce sells a non approved
kit for much less $. Has anyone used these or should I stay with Lord
or Barry mounts. Thanks, Jon

I would contact Mark about the Zero Thrustline Dynafocal mount they are working on for the Penn Yan 180 hp PA-18 conversion. No use kicking yourself later when it's out. Use Lord mounts. The stepped rubber goes on the back side on the top mounts and in the engine side on the lower. One Jelly pack goes inside the upper left mount (as viewed from the accessory case) and the other goes in the lower right mount. It feels like a flippin sewing machine when it's running. Crash

Jon , I too am building a Smith's wide body and have a TMX 0-360. I was wandering what you went with for engine mounts. I posted the same question with out seeing your post, probably why I didn't get any response, my fault.
Ron B.

Ron, I went with Lord mount J-7402-24. I have a little problem with
the mount itself. When installing the last lower Lord mount bolt to
the engine I am 3/4 of a hole off, is this normal I don't know. Talked
to Supercub MD today about how much pushing and prying can be done.

He gave me a few tips to try, I will let you know how it works.
Anyone else have this problem with a dynafocal mount?
Happy New Year, Jon

Thanks Jon
I was wandering if you knew what the differences in the part numbers stood for,as on the J-7402-24 ? I would think all 0-360 engines would take the same Lord mount!

Mount

Lord Mount # J-7402-24 $83.25 each. I use them on all the Smith 180 kits we do. No problems at all.

Koz

KOZ
I don't see the part # you mentioned in the Aircraft Spruce book or is this mount not listed? Do you know the differences in the lord mounts? It must be size and stiffnes. How does one deside on which model?
Thanks Ron

KOZ, Im not familiar with that Lord part #. The Aircraft Spruce
homebuilt mounts #08-03500 are a copy of the lord 7402
except they do not have the jelly filled spacer. Are the
mounts your using larger in size? Sent my check yesterday
for your booklet, thanks in advance. Ron I believe your
engine mount has alot to do with what mounts you
can use. Jon

Mount

Sorry for the Typo Guys. The Lord# is J-7402-25 I have been useing it on the Dynafocal Mount with no trouble at all. This mount is commonly used on a Cherokee 180.

Koz

Mount

I like to mount the motor mount on the fire wall first then use the weight of the engine to help you squeeze the rubber mounts in place. Get them all close and let the weight of the engine compress them.
Koz

One half of the Lord rubber mount has a step in it. The other is a smooth tapered cone. On the top two, the stepped half of the rubber mount goes on the back side of the mount (pull compression) . On the bottom two they go to the engine (compression) side of the mount. I would use the jelly packs to reduce start up torque. They go in the upper left and lower right mounts as viewed from the accessory case. There is a large washer the goes between the lower engine ears and the Lord mount on the Penn Yan kit. Crash

Ron, Yes, I have a Smith mount, the rubber mounts that Smiths use is
the Aircraft Spruce homebuilt type. I went with the Lord, I just
think quality may be better. They look identical but A.S. do not
have the jelly spacer just a steel bushing. How far along with
your project are you? Happy New, Jon

Thanks for the motor mount part #, we'll be going with the Lord's. All parts but the fuselage are covered on mine, most painted. The fuselage is ready with all the interior panels complete, other than running the wires to and from the hydraulic power pack for amph. floats and the batterie cable. I'm having a problem finding a clear route for the #2 guage batterie cable. I have a two door fuselage and with all the fuel , and hyd lines converging under the floor by the pilots feet, (actually a little farther back)there isn't much space to pass the cable with proper protection.Other than the above mentioned items all that can be done at this point is complete until the fuselage is covered. Next item to tackle.
My friends plane, we polybrushed the first coat today on the wings. These are the first parts covered on his ship. His fuselage is pretty well as far along as mine other than the hyd. power pack isn't installed or piped.
Ron

Thanks Crash for the reply
Would you purchase the engine mount kit from Penn Yen if you were in my situation?

Same hair pulling going on over here, trying to find the Lord part number for a Smith dynafocal for an 0-320.
Installed is the VIP mounts, part number 50401-3 but not finding a cross over.

Looks like it might be J-7402-1 or J-7401-24 but unable to determine what the difference is between the -1 and -24.
Any help on where to find information would be great.

Back