• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Firman belly pod

ag-pilot

SPONSOR
Mt.
I was wondering if anyone had info on the Firmin belly pod. Is it a cargo or fuel or combo pod? is it available? how do you contact them? I would be interested in one if it is a fuel or fuel/cargo combo.
Thanks Dave

Pod

I have a Firman pod on my PA-18. It is all cargo and very large. It makes the PA-18 twice as useful if you go out for extended stays or hunt with it. The only cargo / fuel pod on the market is the Landes Airglass 18 gallon / cargo pod. I don't like it because it is heavy and only has a small amount of cargo area located in the rear of the pod where you don't want the weight. With the Firman pod you can load all your heavy stuff towards the front of the pod (under the CG) and the lighter stuff toward the rear. It is also much lighter than the Landes fuel / cargo pod. I can get three 5 gallon cans in the Firman pod and have room for some more stuff.

A guy stopped into Iliamna in a stuffed Cessna 185 (only room for the pilot) and quipped to Terry, friend of mine, that he bet he wished he could get all that "stuff" in his Super Cub and get off the ground. Terry said he could do it, no problem. A $100.00 bet was made and the transfer of freight began. With the help of the Firman belly pod all the stuff was put in Terry's Cub, he made a loop around the pattern and collected the $100.00.

The best set up is Dakota 24 gallon tanks to get all the fuel up (gravity feed) where it needs to be and a Firman pod for all your camping gear.

Take care. Crash

Pod

On the door it says 54 lbs of baggage. There have been 19 King Salmon put in one (we don't consider King Salmon to be baggage). I have put a lot of weight in mine, but no baggage. :lol: Crash

Thanks for all the info, I agree the airglass tank is heavy but it is easy to install and remove. Does anyone have contact info for the Firman pod? Another option would be to take a 60 gal sorenson belly tank cut the top off then install baffels so you would have gas in front and cargo in the back. I have heard this used to be field approved in Alaska. Anyone have any info???
Thanks, Dave

I have had my Firmin pod for about 11 years. It weighs about 17 lbs. Mine has a door on the right side. Bill was able to make many improvements since mine. Now there is a door on the left side and some have a door in the back. The approximate demensions are 7' long, fuselage width tapering with the fuse and about 12" deep, at the deepest point. For its constructed purpose is is well built. They are rated for 54# but the volumne is where it shines. You can put skiis, snowshoes etc. They are great for fish and smelly stuff because you get out the hose and wash it out. As Crash stated the best combo is Dakota tanks and a Firmin pod. It is connected with stainless straps and adel clamps. Removal is a matter of minutes. I no longer use my dodge baggage because the pod is so convenient.

As far as I know the stc. is close and there is no current website. My information may not be current.pak

Theres a guy here in town that has a 32 gal Airglas tank for sale. Straps and pump included, no paperwork. Airglas will furnish STC for 200.00. Asking 1200.00+ shipping. Call Mark 406-671-8028 for details.

The airglass pure cargo pod is approved for floats. It actually improved the flight characteristics of my cub. It is very durable!

Pod

svengarlick said:
Why dont you guys like the Airglas cargo pod? Its certified for 140 lbs.

You can put an Airglass pod inside the Firman pod and still have roon for your camping gear. The Airglass pod is half the size, twice the weight and twice as expensive. It's kind of a value proposition thing. It's your money do as you like. Crash

I guess that is the same reasoning that I used for the Atlee tanks, so I shouldn't argue. I never said that the Landis was better. I just reported that it works well and is very durable. Also, legality of the Firmin was questionable when I purchased. How are the legalities and the flight characteristics of the Firmin (approved on floats?). The Landis increased airspeed by about 1 mph (I was shocked!) and the plane started to give a really distinct buffet before a power on stall.

So realistically how much weight can you put in a Firman pod. Can you put 130 lbs in it and not have it crack, bust or fall off the plane?

Pod

svengarlick said:
So realistically how much weight can you put in a Firman pod. Can you put 130 lbs in it and not have it crack, bust or fall off the plane?

The FAA made them test it with lead weight in it at something like 300 lbs (not sure but I remember it was twice what anyone would ever put in one) and take it up and do spins. I wouldn't hesitate to put 150 lbs in one of the newer ones. Crash

It would be nice if someone from Airglas exposed to us why they decides on the size and weight of their pod. How was the Firman pod designed?

Pods

ground loop said:
It would be nice if someone from Airglas exposed to us why they decides on the size and weight of their pod. How was the Firman pod designed?

My take on it is the available molds. Airglass used their 35 gallon belly tank mold to make a pure cargo pod as well a 18 gallon /partial cargo pod. The Firman pod, as the story goes, uses the old Sorensen 60 gall belly tank mold. I could be wrong on the last part but that is what I am told and it makes sense. Crash

landesskis, Does 19 lbs sound about right for the pure cargo pod? Do you have any news about a new design hydraulic wheel ski?

Re: Belly pod

landesskis said:
Airglas had to put over 600 lbs in the belly pod (static test) and then we flight tested in both wheels, floats and skis with over 150 spins. This is the reason that the pod is certified on floats, wheels and skis. Please don't badmouth the Airglas product when we meet the FAA regulations. Airglas works hard in making a product that is safe in the air and on the ground. Airglas' stance is if you can produce a product to meet the FAA regulations, then do it!. Airglas stands by its' reputation of being in business for 50 years. General Aviation needs every body to help in the invovation of new ideas.

Thanks

Sorry Gary, I guess I should soften my post's more. Landes makes excellent products and your belly pod is no exception. The question I was answering was "why we who have Firman pods like them". As with a lot of things, it comes down to size. :oops: In all fairness I should have stated your advantages of being certified for more weight (I am not sure where Firman will end up in the final STC, it could be more then 54 lbs) and certified in all applications. But I will say, it is nice we now have two options, depending on our needs when it comes to "all cargo" pods. Take care. Crash

W & B

klm_ak said:
Anne,
It's the same as an extended baggage, you have a new arm/moment to compute.

Ya, that's it. It depends on how long your arm is for stuffing gear to the rear of it. :lol: Crash

Does anybody know if the STC will only cover new manufacture pods. Theres two here that was built a few years ago and installed under field approvals. Just wondereing if we put it under a different plane if the new stc would cover it?

kase said:
Does anybody know if the STC will only cover new manufacture pods. Theres two here that was built a few years ago and installed under field approvals. Just wondereing if we put it under a different plane if the new stc would cover it?

Wouldn't a "follow on" field approval cover that?

Back