• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Firman belly pod

Are there any pictures posted of this mythical pod? I know they must exist, Crash says he has one. I was hoping to see more weight on the STC, 54 lbs leaves a bit to be desired.

FA18,
If you live in Wasilla, and look at other Cubs you see, I guarantee you've seen these pods. You may not have paid any attention, but they're around. Bill made them for Cessnas, too. There's a Cub parked next to me at LH strip with one. A C-180 on the other side of me also has one. I'm freakin' surrounded by them but I can't get one.

I asked Plaschem (plastics manufacturer and friends of Bill's) for any information about the pods. I was told Bobby Piatt (STC holder) is out west fishing until late July. As far as I can find out, there is no manufacturing happening yet. Plaschem is unaware of manufacturing plans. I've asked Bill's daughter for the details of the STC, like what aircraft models are eligible, limitations, etc., and have never received a response. In fairness, she probably doesn't know the details. I want a belly pod, and I specifically want the Firmin pod. I've waited a long time for the STC to happen, and I guess I'll wait a while longer. No disrespect to Airglas, I just prefer the Firmin.
SB

StuartB

You're back. Now if Diggler will just respond we will be one big happy dysfunctional family again. Welcome to the dysfunctional family reunion. Crash

I love my airglass storage pod. I think that with it I alomst can carry the same bulk as my 14 can hold! Good job Gary, thanks!

Firmin Belly Pod

I have Firmin Pod No. 3, Field Approved in 1994 on my PA-12, which was the second PA-12 after Bill Firmin's own 12, the first pod he built. With due respect to Landes, I don't buy into the fact that something can be produced to be a fine product without a full run of FAA engineering and STC hoopla, but do agree that those unfortunately now are being about the only rules you can do so today. All I can say after 10 years and 1000 hours with that belly pod on wheels (airstreaks then bushwheels) and skis (Landes 2500 and Federal AWB) I would never never be without my Firmin Pod. I have two 8 gallon rubber fuel cells made for inflateable raft, I can put in pod, fuel plane by tossing up on wing, then roll up bladders and have full pod to load. It is perfect in winter for putting in all winter covers, leaving inside baggage for other things. There are pictures of my plane on the long-wing Piper photo journal, under page 17 (I think) or so.

For those of you who didn't know Bill, he was a fine person, a little guy who lived in the bush, and came up with a good idea and tried to make a go of it. He along with help from others tried to play the game of getting the FAA approval, and he put his heart, soul and most of his money into it. Unfortunately he had terminal cancer, and after a brilliant fight for the last two years, passed away early this year. Sue his wife, a wonderful person in her own right, tries to keep Bill's legacy going. I will try to call her or drop by this week (she still lives in bush west of ANC) and see what she knows about pod approval status.

landesskis, is the install of the cargo/fuel pod on the -12's STC'd or field approval?

Scott.

P.S. hope your back is feeling better.

Do the Firman Pods have a skin on the top or are they open on the top with a seal against the belly?

Firmin Pods

See my post above. When I got No. 3 field approved 10 years ago, they did not have a top. Later Bill decided to add one, and most all pods have been converted to have a top. It does add strength and a better seal, but of course adds a couple of pounds.

Scooter

Please bear with me if these are ignorant questions:

1. How do you attach the Firman pod to the PA-12? What does the straps attach to? Do you have to weld attach points to the fuselage tubes? (I am beginning the welding on my project now, so it would be nice to do it all at once). Once installed, can you easily remove and install the pod according to the need for a particular flight?

2. Can you use the pod on a PA-12 with original gear and 800x4 wheels, or is it for PA-18 gear and big tires only?

3. How much is a pod with hardware, etc.??

Thanks for patience and info.
Bent

I just talked to Plaschem in Anchorage. Sept 13 2004. They said Sue and her partner are trying to build the pods themselves. Anyone know how to get ahold of them for the details of the pod and it's new STC? Thanks

I bought a (used) Firman Pod complete with STC from a guy named Bobby Piatt around the 10th of August (THANKS again SB!). It is certified for 150 lbs, and is very long and roomy. I ran an Airglas pod forever and this one's much larger, plus the door is larger for stuffing your more unstuffable items like moose hindquarters or stinky rolled up bear hides.
I used this pod all season this year, and it was really great. I may have even miscalculated and put more than 150 pounds in it a couple times. :D As I put it to my other podless friends, its an EXCELLENT pod mod!

RB

Bobby does have the STC if you want his contact info PM me and I will give it to you. He's in production to boot and a hell of a nice guy. Its wondeful to see my dad's dream come true, I know he's up there smiling.
Teresa

I just talked to Bobby about the Firman Pod project, and he said I could post the info here.

They are starting to make the pods and have been granted the STC that Bill started. The STC stipulates that they install the pod. He's working on getting the pod PMA certified and hopes to have that done by spring; that will allow him to ship the pods for installation elsewhere.

Current prices are $1650 white, $1700 black and custom colors are also available.

Pod is STC'd for the -18 only but he said at least one guy is working towards getting a field approval for the -12. Rated for 150 lbs.

They are taking orders and are about to start advertising. He's hoping that the response won't outstrip their production capacity.

Contact number is 907-376-7259.

firmin cargo pod

To all of you have given support to Bill's cargo pod I thank you. He would be so thrilled to see everything you have all said. His dream has finally come true I only wish he were here to enjoy the fruits of his effort. It has been a long hard battle. Bob Piatt has worked hard and long to fulfill a promise to Bill. He is just now starting to produce the pods and has a very nice set up. As posted by my daughter you can now contact Bob for all the latest info. Thank you all again for your support it's been a long road. Sue

how to get a firman belly pod

I tried the email link to contact the firman people and no luck. So how do I get one? Used, new STC'ed or not.

thanx

Anyone know if the Firman pod can be used with standard gear and 800's? Will I have enough ground clearance?

Anne.

getting a pod

Talked to Piatt. Looks like I might be able to get a pod this week. They should even be approved for floats this summer. Will let all of you know how the pod installation goes and how it works

I've been talking to Bob Piatt about this pod - you can now install one yourself (good for people who don't live near him). You have to remove the rear step on the PA18s and use the float step instead (the long angle iron/aluminum type with a couple of clamps to the gear leg). And there's a shop in Anchorage that's selling them (retail $1950, I think). They were tested on a stock PA18, so there's enough ground clearance.

Bob is also designing a fuel/cargo pod, based on this cargo pod. It would carry 25 gallons of fuel in the front of the pod. Not totally designed yet, but he's thinking about it.

Has anyone had any dealings with him directly? If I send a check, will I get a pod? (He told me to check with folks to see how honest he is, so I am). Thanks.

Anne.

Back