• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

O-320 in a PA18 is an STC needed?

Steve Pierce

BENEFACTOR
Graham, TX
If you have a 125 hp Super Cub which is designated PA18 do you need an STC to install an O-320? It is in the mid 600s serial number which means it has the double groove trim system and already has Clevland wheels and brakes. They are on the same type certificate and I would think if you met the criteria shown in the parts manual it would be a no brainer but I also know that Cub Crafters has an STC for the same.

Steve Pierce said:
If you have a 125 hp Super Cub which is designated PA18 do you need an STC to install an O-320? It is in the mid 600s serial number which means it has the double groove trim system and already has Clevland wheels and brakes. They are on the same type certificate and I would think if you met the criteria shown in the parts manual it would be a no brainer but I also know that Cub Crafters has an STC for the same.

You need a STC or field approval...

Engine
Models PA-18 and PA-19:
Continentals C-90-12F, or C-90-8F (Uses carburetor setting No. 530726)
(See Item 106 for models PA-18 "125" and PA-18A, Item 108 for Models PA-18 "135" and PA-18A "135", and NOTE 3 for Model PA-18 "105" (Special)) (See also Items 101, 106 and 108 for optional engines)

101. Lycoming O-235-C and -C1 engine (Eligible only
when installed in accordance with Piper Dwg. No. 12447)
(See also NOTE 3)
Fuel - 80 min. grade aviation gasoline
Engine Limits - For all operations:
O-235-C: 2600 r.p.m. (100 hp)
O-235-C1: 2600 r.p.m. (108 hp)
Oil Capacity - 6 quarts at (-36)
Required Equipment Items:
(See Item 2 for propellers)
With Lycoming O-235-C engine:
Landplane and Skiplane: Items 401(a), 401(j) and 601(b).
Seaplane: Items 401(i)
With Lycoming O-235-C1 engine:
Landplane and Skiplane: Items 401(b) and 601(b).
Seaplane: Items 401(c).

106. Lycoming O-290-D engine. Install in accordance with
Piper Dwg. No. 12447.
Fuel - 80 min. grade aviation gasoline
Engine Limits - For all operations, 2600 r.p.m (125 hp.)
Oil Capacity - 8 quarts at (-36)
Items 104, 601(b), and 401(f), 401(g) or 401(p) are required.
(See Item 3 for propellers.)

108. Lycoming O290-D2 engine. Install in accordance
with Piper Dwg. No. 12447.
Fuel - 80/87 min. grade aviation gasoline
Engine Limits - For all operations, 2600 r.p.m. (135 hp.)
Fuel Capacity - 36 gallons at (+24)
Oil Capacity - 8 quarts at (-36)
Items 102 and 109 are required.
See Item 4 for propellers.

Steve:
Check with Wag Aero also. They had a STC for that mod at one time.

Thanks. I should have looked at the TCDS first. The registration says PA18 and it has an O-290D. Need to research the logs and get it's true designation. Found a friend with a sweet deal on a wide deck O-320 core so will see what happens. Trying to do everything long distance at this point so it is kinda hecktic.

Wag sells the old J A Meyers STC. I've used it a few times, it's a good deal. It was available two ways, either with the 1750 gross increase or without. Might want to check on that to be sure you are getting what you want.

I was looking at a Super Cub last week that had the gross weight increase signed off via the old Meyers stc. When I looked in the fuselage the tubes that are normally added to increase the gross weight were not there. Called Wag Aero and they said if you install the 0320 engine no fuselage modification was neccesary except hydra sorbs and 5/16 cabane bolts. Welding in extra tubes not neccesay.

Kase,
I've got copies of the Meyers and Wag STC's, and everything says that the tubes need to be added for 1750, they even have drawings included. I'll send you copies if you need them.

Unless Wag has changed this very recently (which I seriously doubt), the tubes are required, and I would be very sceptical of the tech advise they give over the phone.

As I'm sure you know, BS on the phone ain't legal, I'd check the paperwork on this Cub.

I inquired a while back with Wag Aero (couldnt get much info)and also here I think what I found out was that the Wag/Meyers STC did not cover all the various models of PA-18's for the 150HP upgrade, If I remember correctly it was only applicable to the PA-18-125, -135 etc but not the PA-18 Straight or -105 designations.

I am not an expert on this but one of you guys with the paperwork might be able to confirm this or dismiss it.

David.

CaptFox said:
I inquired a while back with Wag Aero (couldnt get much info)and also here I think what I found out was that the Wag/Meyers STC did not cover all the various models of PA-18's for the 150HP upgrade, If I remember correctly it was only applicable to the PA-18-125, -135 etc but not the PA-18 Straight or -105 designations.

David.

Correct.

I have a friend who had an 0-290, upgraded to an 0-320 with an STC without the gross weight upgrade and has had all kinds of hassles with our CAA trying to get the gross wt upgraded. One to beware of.

BCB

I am not an expert on this but one of you guys with the paperwork might be able to confirm this or dismiss it.

David.

According to the type certificate the only difference between a PA-18 and a PA-18-125 is the engine installation. Anyone willing to predict the chance of success for a slight deviation?

........ was necessary except hydra sorbs and 5/16 cabane bolts. Welding in extra tubes not necessary.

Does anyone know what is involved to go to the 5/16" cabane bolts? Just drill out the 1/4" holes in gear fitting and cabane?

Jeff

Does anyone know what is involved to go to the 5/16" cabane bolts? Just drill out the 1/4" holes in gear fitting and cabane?

Jeff

I have always replaced the cabane Vee and drilled the fuselage. Seems the bushing in the 1/4" bolt hole cabane Vee get kinda thin if drilled out.

I have always replaced the cabane Vee and drilled the fuselage. Seems the bushing in the 1/4" bolt hole cabane Vee get kinda thin if drilled out.

Thanks Steve. That is what I kinda suspected. Another opportunity to support Airframes Alaska. :smile:

Jeff

Back