• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Garmin, Pilot III GPS...

Champdriver

Benton, Kansas
Has anyone had the opportunity to use the Garmin, Pilot III GPS. It's small size is really attractive for use in the smaller confines of the Cubs and Champs. I am curious if they offer good usability in bright light situations. I really like the Garmin line of products, and thinking very seriously about the Pilot III as a usable Item in the Champ... As usual, any information/advice will be greatly appreciated... (But not considered gospel).
Champdriver.

You might want to look at this before you buy the Garmin if you are looking for a great GPS in a small package.

http://www.controlvision.com/

It taps into 12v system... or runs 4+ hrs on own power with aux battery.
Has all the best features and the color is very good.

I use the Pilot III. I found it to be a good deal. Mine is about 4 years old and so there might be some improvements in the newer models. You asked about bright light situations. In those situations I do find that shielding the screen with a hand makes it easier to read. I know that modern versions of other models have nonglare screens, but I can't tell you if the new Pilot III has that. Also in the bright light the black and white screen isn't as easy to read as the color ones, but I haven't had any real difficulties.

Love my pilot III I have it right at the vee on top of the instrument panel and hard wired and it's small enough not to block my line of sight. Been using it for years now and sent it back to the fac. for the up date.

I was considering updating mine but doing so via the computer interface and downloads-- has anyone used this method? Is it worth it to purchase the interface device and the downloads vs. returning for update? I've also heard a good time for updates is to go to a big fly-in such as Oshkosh or Sun-n-fun and get them updated at the booth while you are there.

You can do software updates free on Garmin's site and pay for data base update. Works great and easy to do. Even I did it. I loved my Garmin III. Sold it two days before the price drop for more than they now sell for new. Best bang for the buck through my experience and haven't had any glare problems using it in the Husky, SC, Ag Cat, Clipper, Citabria or Long EZ.

If you do a lot of non airport stuff, a Garmin V (non pilot) is hard to beat. way more capacity, longer battery life and you can get programs to download almost anything into it. creeks, roads, towns, old no longer existing towns, etc

Pilot 3's

I use a Pilot 3 most days, in any light. Mine have been very good units usually doing 2000 hours before being rebuilt. I'm on my second unit now the first one did around 5000 before it stopped, I could have got it factory rebuilt but a new one wasn't much more, the second one has 2000 hours and is still going strong.

A good feature of these little Garmins is if it's hard wired you can use one of the fields to indicate aircraft voltage, an STC'd voltage gauge would cost as much as the GPS.

I've had my Garmin, Pilot III GPS for about 6 years and wouldn't be without it. A really neat thing in mine is the mounting bracket. I found that the holes in the plastic mounting bracket precisely fit the factory screw holes on the glare shield. It's so perfect a fit that I've wondered is the designer wasn't a Cub pilot!

I keep one in my bag as a back up in the heavier iron that I fly (usually with a full Garmin suite in the panel.....nice 8) ), and also use it when I travel in my dad's 65' Skyhawk. Love it, wouldn't use anything else. The only thing I need a gps for is navigation, point A to point B. Don't need any fancy color, the B&W works just fine and is easy to see. Don't need fancy digital back-up flight instruments, its not legal for IFR, and besides I wouldn't trust them anyway. Its perfect for what it needs to do; give me heading, groundspeed and distance on a simple graphical display. The Garmin III is the best value on the market for that... IMHO.

Did anyone notice in the newest King catalog the GPS III Pilot is on clearance? Does anyone know if garmin is discontinuing the line? If so is there any word on how long they will continue to support the product with updates?

Not sure...but the new Garmin 96 may be replacing it.

I just traded my GPS III Pilot for one at Aircraft Spruce. Its nice, you have the choice of B&W for $499 (same as the GPS III) or Color for $699. I got the black and white. The neat thing about them is they are truly a three in one unit, Aviation, Automobile, and Marine databases can all be downloaded into it. Each mode operates separately, so you can fly to your destination, get driving directions to the nearest fishing hole, then navigate your boat to that secret spot your buddy told you about :D All with the same unit.

By todays standards there pretty antiquated. If some gives you one take it. Otherwise same up and buy a 296.You won't regret it.

I guess I'm a GPS junkie. On my 4th model since the Garmin 55. I wonder what the MTBF is for the 296 because I have it on all the time in my SC, on airline flights, in my van and pickup(pickup has no speedometer so the GPS does that). I have to remember to convert to automobile mode in vehicles so I get statute mile readings and avoid tickets. I remember that one of the earlier III updates related to making the backlighting brighter.

Back