• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Wing struts, 1025 or 4130

Dan2+2

Paducah, KY
I am building a sportsman 2+2 PA-14exp. and the plans call for the struts to be 1025 steel. Were the originals made of 4130 , are the new sealed struts 4130? If 1025 is strong enough it is about 1/3 the price, but my big behind is worth whatever it takes to be safe.

4130 is about 20% stronger than 1025. The real question would be where did you find 1025 and are you sure it's really 1025? I don't know anyone that has seen any 1025 tube for many years.

Unless you are a Pro Welder, just buy the sealed struts from Airframes Inc. and have the peace of mind that comes with them. Like you said, your butt does hang on them!

Frank

I built struts using the Wag-aero blanks. I ride on them all the time. When I was looking for strut material i checked with Univair and I remember their strut material being mild steel. I think all the Pa18 struts are make from mild steel. I'm sure I'll stand corrected if I'm wrong.

Wag aero has the blank streamline tubing in 1025 steel. They also sell a builders kit with barrels, forks and jury struts using this strut material.If 4130 is overkill for strength and 1025 is plenty strong, I save 880 dollars to spend somewhere else on this project.

What's the wall thickness on the blank streamline?

Many times, mild steel can be used in place of 4130 by going up with the wall thickness.

The only problem is you end up spending WEIGHT instead of DOLLARS. Remember, this thing will be flying, other guys spend lots of money to gain performance, where weight reduction will result in performance gain.

Decisions, decisions.

Wall thickness is 049 on the 1025. Actually the dimensions are the same as the 4130 strut material that wag areo sells. That is a good point about the weight which I had not considered.I am still curious about what was used historically and in the new sealed struts. I have a local pro welder that will do all the critical welds.Thanks for the input.

My North Land CD for the PA-18 shows the struts made from 1010 Steel, .035 wall thickness.

Piper shows the strength of 1010 as 45,000 psi. The strength of 1025 is 78,200 psi, and 4130 is 97,000 psi.

Frank

I think Univair will sell strut blanks as well. I think they are also mild steel but I dont know the compound. For you guys building the dangerous Experimentals Carlson aircraft has large streamline in the heavy extruded alumunim with bolt in ends. They are strong, American Champion Decathlons have used alum. struts for years.

Back