• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

J4A Advice and Information requested for my first CUB

tims

Pearland, TX
Hello to all that read this. I am in the process of purchasing my first Piper Cub. Ok so it's really a Piper J4A cub, but still a cub right? The J4 is in the middle of a restoration that I will be completing. I have done this before on a smaller scale with a Stits Playboy that I still have and enjoy. I realize that the J4 is not as popular as the J3 or (bowing my head) the Super Cub, but believe it to be a good fit for me and my wife. The wings and control surfaces are ready for cover. The lower longerons have had rust repair and has been sand blasted and primed(entire fusalage). The engine is a C85/electric that i will have majored before installation. Here are my direct questions and any general comments advice about this arcraft are welcome.

I have searched and I have not had any luck finding STCs for this plane. I am really interest in adding wing tanks, it only carries 18gals as is.

also I have not found any for sale (saw the one on e-bay, but it didn't make reserve), so I am not sure what value this plane will carry when flying.

I would like this restoration to reflect the era (1941) as much as possible, Where do I hide the electronics?

All advice and help is GREATLY APPRECIATED

Tim

I have a 40 j4A with a c85-12. I rebuilt it from a ground loop that occured in 1965. It changed hands several times and my dad got it in 82. It hung in his shop for years until winter 2002 when, looking for some way to spend time with my dad while we still can, I suggested rebuilding it. He said no but I drug it down while he was gone and put in the middle of his shop and started to work. Having never rebuilt an airplane this was pretty frustrating at times especially since dad would sometimes tell me how to do something and sometimes make me figure it out myself even tho he knew the easy, best way to do it. I guess after about four months of this I proved to him I truly was interested in seeing her fly and he started helping, which we both enjoyed. Got it flying in oct 03 and after finally finding a taildragger instructer I have 45 hrs and should finish my ppl in early summer. The prices I have seen are about 28000 + or- 3000. A really nice one may be listed at 34,000. the cub club may have stc,s for the wing tanks. Thru my research I thought all 41 models had a wing tank, so perhaps you dont have the original right wing, But I could be wrong about that. I have a stc for the 85 but they were also originally an offered optioned and I am not sure you would need one for the c-85.

Ther is a really nice one at Sun & Fun every year. It was written up in Vintage A/C. You might call EAA and they can get you back issues.

I really want to thank you both for the info. Since my original post I did find some information on the Cub Club site about a STC for a PA 11 wing tank installation. I need to also correct my original post.....the J4A that I will be purchasing TODAY is in fact a 1940 model. I have searched the registration records and found 266 J4As currently registered with 19 in located in Texas. I also found a nice photo with the N# showing, I contacted the current owner who is a very nice gentlemen and he sent me a copy of the manufactures original type certificate. The type certificate has an option for a 9gal aux tank, I think keeping weight in mind this will be the better fuel solution for me. As I stated earlier, I will be exchanging funds today and moving the aircraft this weekend, kinda excited :eek: about starting a new project.

Thanks again,
Tim

Mine has the aux tank behind the headliner. I put the battery behind the seat with 4 fuses at the bottom lt. side of the panel. Today is by birthday and my lovely wife is giving me a icom A23 handheld which I will use. There is only about 5 inches between the panel and the fuel tank so a large radio is a problem. I plan to mount a bracket to the seat tubing for the handheld. One of the instrument hole radios might work depending on how deep it is. Good luck with your project.

Dan can you tell me more about the AUX tank. Is it the 9gal one offered as an option in the original type certificate. I need to get the fuel equation solved before I can move forward.

Thanks Again,
Tim

Yes it is as shown in the type cert. I am looking for a picture but have not found one. I asked my dad to look through his and I will look through the drawings I have. My email is not working. The tank is in the rear fuselage on the rt side behind the headliner. It has a fuel gage through the headliner and a filler cap through the fabric about even with the wing root in the upper fuselage covering.

Tims,

There used to be a fairly frequent poster on here with a J-4. "Cub Couper" You might try a PM or e-mail to him. As I recall he was selling his and so he might have a fair idea as to it's worth. He may even have answers for your other questions. Good luck, they look like very cool planes!

Take care, Rob

J-4 wing is essentially the same as a J-5 wing.

1. no wing tanks.
2. drag wires are evenly spaced.
3. aileron cove is not "s" shaped, more like a pa-12 or late j-5.

Most of the J-4 fittings will fit a j-5 wing.

Tim

Steve Dyer at Univair is rebuilding a J4 in the back of their warehouse. It will be an award winner for sure. I bet he can answer some questions also.

Back