• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Landing gear uncovered

rplemmons

Chico, CA
Question, what action is required to go from fabric covered landing gear to uncovered landing gear? I am referring to logbook entry etc., not the physical action of removing the fabric. The weld holding the metal fabric former that goes from the front landing gear tube to the rear landing gear tube, has broken loose; and I am considering removing the fabric and not replacing it. I tried a search on this site but did not turn up an answer, maybe my search was not properly directed. I know alot of SC's run with uncovered gear, but had never given it thought until now. Your help is greatly appreciated.

If your fabric former it breaking, your gear V is flexing excessively. Shim the fuselage attach bolts between V and fuselage fitting to eliminate the movement. Installing a tube instead of the former like most aftermarket gear now have helps this also.

On the legal thing about fabric, it depends who you ask. Some aftermarket extended gear installation instructions and STC's say nothing about covering the gear, so you could argue that these gear are illegal if they ARE covered. Cover on gear is minor stuff, and most won't care either way, but it's best to ask the person who signs your logs before you get out the knife.

I got a field approval for my 3 in gear and when I did the 337 I said the gear was uncovered. I agree with MD about having a tube between the gear. When I first put it on there was no tube and the rear leg flexs when you land and makes a big bang from sliding around in the gear fitting on the fuselage. Shimmed it with washers till winter then took it off and welded in a 1/2 square tube that is used for the 2000 gw increase.

Back