• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Schneider 4000 Hydraulic wheel skis?

AKM5Driver

Alaska
Has any one had any experience with the Schneider wheel skis? Founf a set locally and am tossing the idea around of purchasing these or Aero 2800 manually retractable wheel skis. I tie down on asphalt so I can't run straight skis.

Thanks,
Tony

Tony,
I have a friend that has Schneider penetration skis. He's got them on a Hawk XP nose dragger that lives at Hood. He'd be happy to talk to you. PM me a phone number if that interests you.
SB

Schneider Wheel skies

I have flown 206 and 185 on Schneiders for about 300 hours if that means anything to you.
drop me a PM if I can assist
Currently have a Schneider 182/206 nose ski for sale, 10% to SC.org.
Real good shape.

A3000's

I currently own a set of Aero A3000 straights and have been in close contact with Troy at Aero to get everything in order with them.
First class that Troy is.
Discussed in depth all Aero stuff and the retractables really interest me.
I think I would like them but would have to think ahead to make sure skies in the correct position for the next landing. Not a big deal.

My limited experience with the Aero semi-retractable skis suggests that you shouldn't land in any sort of deep snow with them. Their performance in deep snow is pretty poor.

That said, the Aero 3000 straight skis are really very good skis, and perform well. I've used them on Cubs, Huskys, Scouts, and Cessna 170, and they really are pretty nice skis.

I'm told that the length of the arms on the Aero 2800 wheel skis has been changed and that this improved the performance of the ski. They would need some serious improving, in my experience.

Now, if all you are doing is landing on a frozen lake, with an inch of snow, theyd work fine.

Mike V

Tony,
What Mike just described is pretty accurate for Schneiders, too. It's a good thing that they have plates for the wheel wells, because you'll need 'em. Consider moving temporarily to a ski tie-down, and go with straights. Nothing performs like straight skis. They are positively the most fun footwear on a plane.
SB

Schneider fixed pen wheel ski

When installing Schneider plates please pump the tire back up to hold it in place.
A fellow 206 pilot had such a plate end up in his horizontal stab shortly after take-off after kicking the tire to verify enough tire pressure existed to hold the plate in......there wasn't.
The plates improve the flotation drastically. Having flown the Iditerod to Nome as well as the Iron dog several times each the plates were required. I fabricated a leverage bar to facilitate installation.
I agree there is nothing like straights. :angel:

I really would loike to get out and do some trapping and this is the primary reason I would like a set of skis. I will be landing on lakes primarily, due to my limited experience on skis (none!). So, with that in mind and thinking of future commercial operations I thought that wheel skis would be a good start being that I am on asphalt at Merril, with a straight ski purchase in the future. How have the Schneiders performed with the plates in. Basically I would like someone to give me a percentage of performance decrease for the Schneiders with the plates in vs. a straight ski of your choice. I really appreciate the open discussions on this site and have learned a tremendous amount of information from all of you! Thanks soo much!

Tony

Tony,
I've only watched them, not flown them. They appear wider and heavier that the comparable Landis skis. They definitely have some drag from the mains sticking through, as would Landis' skis. The most noticeable thing is the amount of drag created by the little wheels on the tails. When the going gets sticky, and my buddy installs the plates, he also has to remove the little wheels. He can chew some trenches in our snow strip with those things. In deep, light snow, maybe it's not a problem. When the snow gets heavy it's a big problem. But it's one you can deal with in a few minutes. Of course, when you come home, you can't land on the asphault, either. Don't be afraid of being new to skis. The lessons you learn will be on the ground, not in the air. Lessons such as where to park, how to avoid overflow, and how to turn the plane around in a tight area. The penalty for your mistakes will be hard work, sweat, and sore muscles. The flying part is easy. It's when you're on the ground that skis can be a handfull.
SB

Maybe you could find a set of AWB2500s? I had a extra set complete that I sold for 3500.00 last month. I dont know what the Schneiders are worth. You would have to get a field approval unless you found some 2100s. They are heavy but if the price is right it makes up for it.

Wow!
Wish I would have known about your skis! That's one heck of a price. I will be installing these on my Maule(M5 220C). I beleive the Schneiders are STC'd for my airplane.

Thanks for all the advice guy's!
Tony

Back