Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Aux Tank Feeding

Post Thanks / Like

Aux Tank Feeding

On wing mounted aux tanks that just do not want to feed in flight, has anyone come up with any fixes? The trouble usually is a normal vented cap being in a low pressure area. I usually recommend a pito tube type pressure vented cap, and make sure all the lines and outlet screen is clear, and that fixes it. Just wondering if someone has come up with anything else.

Post Thanks / Like

Gas cap vents....

My friends j-3 has an aux tank in the wing. They have cap with a tube welded onto it that points forward into the airstream. Just do not put the cap on backwards!

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a J3 with a small aux wing tank (6 gal, I think) and it was really hard to get it to feed unless the main tank was about 2/3 empty. It just got to be a habit not to even to try to transfer unless the main tank was way down. I then usually had no problem getting the fuel to transfer. (Of course if you were sitting on the ground and tried it with the main tank nearly full it would IMMEDIATELY overflow!!!) The cap had a welded on vent tube that we always pointed to the front (opening into the airflow).

Hope this gives you some ideas!

John Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    On Wag Aero J3 wing tanks, the STC specifies ram air vented caps. But their catalog says to buy plain vented caps with the tanks. The catalog is wrong. The ram air caps are needed to push fuel down into the main tank.

If you have, or know someone with these tanks, make sure they have the proper ram air vented caps installed.