• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Wipaire 2000lb stc

AkPA/18

Big Lake Ak
Would anyone have a copy of the Wip stc---looking for some info. I need the weight/cg chart. Also looking for the weight /cg chart for the restricted catagory from piper.

Thanks----Mark

You can find the restricted info in the Type Certificate Data Sheet, you should be able to find it at www.airweb.faa.gov. Wippy told me last week to just continue the lines on the Normal Catagory cg up to 2000#. Aft limit stays at 20". FYI the Limits for the PA-18A Restricted Catagory are (+19.0) to (+24) at 2070lbs, and (+11.5) to (+24) at 1200#. The Restricted Catagory allows 4" more aft limit than the Normal Catagory.

Thanks Frank,

Let me see if I understand this------On the wip mod if you extend the line on the fwd limit I end up at approx 17 @ 2000. All the airweb links are down tonite--for me anyway. I can't get them up. Did you mean 10.5 or 11.5 on the fwd limit for restricted. Suprised they would move the fwd limit aft @ 1200. No big deal--I'll look it up when the link works. Thanks again Frank. Love this site.

Mark
in edit: Thanks for the link Mike--new one to me--looks good.
Just tried your site Mike. Still links to airweb which is not
working. I'll try tomorrow. Evening Torch.

I have the PA-18A restricted TCDS here and the forward limit IS (+11.5) @ 1200# not the (+10.5) of the Normal Catagory.

Frank--I went to the hangar today and got a printout on the Tdata CD. Looking at the restricted category chart is pretty interesting. No wonder we get away hauling the loads we do with the cubs. Still don't understand the fwd limit being moved back. A lot to be said for the stabilator type trim------Boeing/X-1/Cubs, all the good ones have it!

Mark

Before you get too carried away with operating at the weights and CG that the Restricted category permit, you want to ensure that you understand what the Restricted category offers in the way of safety, and margin.

The answer to that is not much at all. Note that they offer little if any information on performance.

Remember the Wip 2000 gross weight ups the stall speed to 53 mph. The Restricted category weight will take it up even more. So, with the CG at the Restricted category forward limit, the stall speed could be quite high.

Further, load factors really aren't considered in Restricted category operations like they are in normal category. You may be able to carry the weight, but have a +-1 G load factor limit guarantee.

These airplanes were operated as sprayers, and I operated for many years in this category, but it's important to understand the parameters you are dealing with, and they very definitely are not the same as for a normal category aircraft.

Mike V

Morning Mike

Not carried away at all. Cub on floats--1250---a couple 200 pounders---full wing tanks--full belly tank (34 gals)---no gear= restricted category 2070. Fairly common to operate at this weight and above. About time 2000lbs was legal in normal category. Run your operation to fit the conditions. Most important is airspeed and coordination always. Firm believer that a cub is a docile A/C right up to the point it kills you. No cowboy here Mike. Safety is priority. For you new Cub lovers reading this--I am no know it all but this is the way it is. If you load your airplane to these weights---know what you have. Do not fly tight low patterns sloppy at low airspeeds. Stall spins are nearly always fatal. Fly safe gang. Any questions refer to above post---well written---thanks Mike.

Mark

Mark

Don't know if you saw one of my other posts here. But Cub Crafters is working on an STC to take the PA-18 to about 2300# Gross. Only problem is it may take an all 4130 fuseage to get there.

Frank

Wow a cub with 2300 pounds gross! A cub at 1750 is a high stepper, a cub at 2000 is a mule I wonder how a 2300 pound cub would fly? My wish list would be a 900 pound cub full electrical and a 1750 gross. But thats just me.

Cub_Driver

I can tell you precisely how a 2300 pound Cub would fly. Answer is: Keep it light, otherwise, you're better off with a nice 180.

Mike V

Back