Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Good book for those who have time to read

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
    Gordon, one reviewer called it a combat diary, so no. He also wrote 7 Came Through about surviving in a life raft with 6 others after a crash. His memoirs include some good stories about travelling the country as a car manufacturers' rep, learning how to deal with machinery. The only way he got into pilot training without a college degree was his mechanical experience.Later while traveling the world meeting world figures he would find he knew people everywhere from past lives.
    "Rickenbacker: An Autobiography" or just "Rickenbacker". I seem to recall that my copy was "Rickenbacker" but that may have just been the cover and not the formal title.

Devoured that book when I was a youngster...the old man met Mr. Rickenbacker somewhere along the line and gave me the book to read.

Ranges from his early days of an apprentice mechanic, to race driver to WWI pilot to Eastern Airlines.

Some vignettes:
    - After some early job, had some $$ in his pocket, bought his girl a diamond ring not knowing what that meant;
    - His recollections of taking better care of his aircraft engine and machine guns during WWI so that they were more dependable;
    - He credited his mental toughness for surviving both his offshore ditching (and the long period awaiting rescue) and his severe injuries after a landside EA crash;
    - Stories of the early days of EA and competing with (among others) Braniff and offering to carry mail for "$0.000"
    - Taking a customer demonstration / test ride in a DC-??? aircraft with his entire management team and suggesting a slow and gentle return to the field when the fuselage walls were rhythmically flexing in flight.

Amazon has copies in hardback.
    Back In Alaska

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, his wiki makes many ref to "Rickenbacker".
    What's a go-around?

Post Thanks / Like
    Reread this excellent book detailing Fred Weick's life as an aeronautical engineer: https://www.amazon.com/GROUND-UP-Fre.../dp/0874749506

Follows the history of aircraft development and gives some background on propellers, engine cowling, tricycle landing gear, various safety improvements, the Ercoupe, and many years at Piper designing some of their fleet.

Those were different times and thinking outside the box was encouraged.

Gary
    Likes Skywalker liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Along those lines, More Than My Share by Kelly Johnson, director of the Lockheed Skunk Works. I haven't read it, but I did read one by his successor which takes you thru stealth and how devilishly hard it is to achieve stealth.
    What's a go-around?
    Likes pzinck liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    IMG_0377.jpg

Not cub or small airplane related, but quite a story.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice to see this thread still going. Don't miss Richard Holm's Bound For The Backcountry. He now has two volumes out. The first focuses on central Idaho and has become the definitive reference book for Idaho backcountry aviation history. The second focuses on the Hell's Canyon country and history. They are both great books, but it is probably better to read the first volume first. It gives a great base and background.

Post Thanks / Like
    Runway Dust
    by Charles R Furden
    About Utah central in the 1950's, j3's, spray planes, people. Interesting book.

Post Thanks / Like
    I received a great gift the other day. One of my customers is the son of a farmer named Charlie and his wife Rose. I first meet Charlie back in 1974 when I was up here visting. He had a cow with a twisted stomach and needed help flipping the cow over with the old rope trick ( consult Rick Papp for info ) Charlie was a sly humerous old codger and I liked him right away. We would bump into each other a few times a year and iritate each other. We became good friends. Charlie and Rose grew up on a farm on Long Island NY and then moved North in the late 60s. I knew that Rose and Charlie had both raced motorbikes in enduros in the 60s. Charlie died about 15 years ago in his late 70s and Rose passed a few years ago in her 80s. Both loved life and were missed by many after they were gone. So...back to their son Bill. Bill comes in my shop the other day and says " I have some things of mom and dad's that you might want " he brings in a box of books that they both had read, it was a box of how to fly airplane books. Bill told me his mom and dad had taken flying lessons and that his mom had soloed. That they had gone a couple times to the Rhinebeck Aerodrome years back. Some of you know that I volunteered at the Aerodrome from 98 to 03. The only time that I meet Cole Palen was in 92 when I took my son and a few friends to watch the show. Cole died in 93 and I have regretting not hanging around the Aerodrome when Cole was still alive. I get digging in the box of books and find a cope of Gordon Bainbridge's book The Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome. Something that I had just never gotten around to aquiring. Felt like Christmas

And then I opened the cover

Priceless!

Glenn
    Last edited by cubdriver2; 04-18-2017 at 09:03 PM.
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

Post Thanks / Like
    I received a great gift the other day. One of my customers is the son of a farmer named Charlie and his wife Rose. I first meet Charlie back in 1974 when I was up here visting. He had a cow with a twisted stomach and needed help flipping the cow over with the old rope trick ( consult Rick Papp for info ) Charlie was a sly humerous old codger and I liked him right away. We would bump into each other a few times a year and iritate each other. We became good friends. Charlie and Rose grew up on a farm on Long Island NY and then moved North in the late 60s. I knew that Rose and Charlie had both raced motorbikes in enduros in the 60s. Charley died about 15 years ago in his late 70s and Rose passed a few years ago in her 80s. Both loved life and were missed by many after they were gone. So...back to their son Bill. Bill comes in my shop the other day and says " I have some things of mom and dad's that you might want " he brings in a box of books that they both had read, it was a box of how to fly airplane books. Bill told me his mom and dad had taken flying lessons and that his mom had soled. That they had gone a couple times to the Rhinebeck Aerodrome years back. Some of you know that I volunteered at the Aerodrome from 98 to 03. The only time that I meet Cole Palen was in 92 when I took my son and a few friends to watch the show. Cole died in 93 and I have regretting not hanging around the Aerodrome when Cole was still alive. I get digging in the box of books and find a cope of Gordon Bainbridge's book The Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome. Something that I had just never gotten around to aquiring. Felt like Christmas

And then I opened the cover

Priceless!

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"