Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headset Reviews

Let me check my GPS, gee how'd we ever navigate with those sectional things?
    Post Thanks / Like

Headset Reviews

How bout raffling off a Mag Compass that is accurate in a Super Cub......you'd sell thousands of tickets
    PS: good luck on finding one.
    Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Really SJ: I have an Idea to keep the raffle fever alive after you send me my Garmin 196? How about raffling an ANR headset?

I just purchased a Flightcom Denali ANR headset and it is awesome, lightweight, reasonable prices and has a 3 year warranty! I paid special price$435 From Pacific Coast Avionics located at Aurora Airport in Oregon! The Owner is Dewey Conroy, great folks, tell him I called!

http://www.pacific-coast-avionics.co...il.asp?id=4520

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Tim, sounds like a good idea, but how bout a Boese instead, I don't know much about the ANR headsets, but my understanding they're suppose to be the best, is the true, like I said, I don't know, but I do like the idea of the headset raffle. I'll buy some tickets.
    Brian.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't want to start a Rant and Rave on headsets as everyone has a favorite! I used DC for ever, I have 4 sets of the ol standard 10-30's, they have never failed to work, even came up out of the water in a cub and after drying for a day they are still working!! (kinda like a timex!) However I know (at least according to my wife) that either I am not listening or I am hard of hearing!! Well I chose to believe I must be getting hard of hearing so I (justified) the purchase of a new headset??

I tried a friends Bose ANRs and they were (for me) like tightening a C-clamp on my head, they were bulky and nearly $800! (they did work fine however)!

After trying several brand the other day, I liked the Flightcom the best for two reasons:

light weight, and fit!
    the 9v battery pack was smaller than any other I saw and (I liked the color)

The only drawback I have seen so far is their is no (auto shutoff of the ANR when (not in use) this could cause battery drain if you have at the same time a "brain drain". when you shut down for the day?

(just my opinion--others welcome!! THE FLIGHTCOM HAS A 30 DAY MONEY BACK GUARANTEE, SO FEEDBACK ENCOURAGED

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    I only use Sennheiser ANR headsets for my Sensenich prop noise. They are the best.

Headsets are probably too controversial, perhaps some spiritual reading instead...

Seriously, a set of wing covers. I like our local folks the best:
    http://www.cunninghamcovers.com

They have insulated cowl covers too.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is goona be goooood! my luck if we raffled of wing covers I would win, I have two sets I am no longer using on the shelf now!

How about another GPS196 1st prize, ANR headset second prize and $20 for the tickets??

Tim

PS: Rookie, what would you use the covers for in Arlington? Wife kick you out from under the covers?? (speaking from Experience)

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree about the wing covers, since my bird sits in a hangar, wouldn't have much use., I like the Headset idea, go for it Steve, I'll buy some tickets. Great Job Steve and Congradulations to the winner.
    Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    My experience in headsets is that I tested in aircraft, own or have owned a flightcom denali, a senheiser ANR, Lightspeed, telex ANR, david clark, avcom, and marv golden. But the only one I ever wear is the Bose. Yes it is more money, but I think it is well worth it. In fact, I was very disapointed with the Denali which I bought for my wife. I should have just bought another Bose.

sj

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve, I'm curious, how's the comfort with the Bose. I only ever used one once, right after they came out, was giving a fellow some dual in a Beech 18, and I honestly don't remember that much about them. Are you still able to hear the engine to have some sense of how it's running? I think a headset would be a great item to raffle.
    Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    I use the "newer" bose. The comfort is great and it gets rid of all the low end rumble. Yes, you can still hear the engine quite clearly and you get to where you don't appreciate what they do until you turn them off!

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a Telex ANR in the Bonanza....super lightweight and excellent noise reduction. I get a headache from the heavier ones after a while. In my cub I use a Sennheiser which I like the best of all I have tried........and if I really want quiet I use these with a set of throwaway ear plugs.......super quiet and can still hear the radio.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a Lightspeed 15XL about a month ago and love it. The ANR made a tremendous difference in my duration - I was fatigued after 2 hours with my old headset, now I feel like I can go all day - not worn out, no headache, etc. I found it took a little while to get used to, I think the engine and wind noise tell you a lot about how the airplane is flying, so I would turn the ANR off for landings, but after a while, I think you learn how to pick up the same clues as before. I still do the runup and take off without, but mostly it's because I forget to turn it on.... "why's it so loud in here??" I really like the auto shutoff too, cause I've left it on more than once....

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Not really on the subject of the raffle, but I thought I'd put my two cents in. Headsets, Inc. makes a nice ANR retrofit for old headsets without stock noise canceling capability. I put one in my old DC rig and it works great. Very noticeable drop in low end rumble. I did the install myself following the instructions and diagrams and it wasn't hard at all. Its nice for those of us who refuse to put down an old dog because a new one can do better tricks. I've had my headset for ten years and its still running strong and I love it, but I did want the benefit of ANR technology. The retrofit gave me that! Oh and I have the Oregon Aero upgrade too... nice and comfy.

www.headsetsinc.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh and Steve....I deleted the friggin' email with my ticket number on it. My bad. So if your waiting for me to call it ain't gonna happen

Post Thanks / Like
    I just bought the Oregon Aero headset kits for an old DC and the Denali, as well as the "mic muff" for the Bose. This stuff is GREAT! I have not installed the DC kit yet, but the upgrade to the Denali was well worth it IMHO.

I am going to move this topic to a permanent area, and re-title it "Headset Reviews"

sj

Post Thanks / Like

Headsets

I have a Peltor 7004 ANR. It has a 9V battery that mounts in one of the muffs and plugs into a standard jack. The battery will last for about 12 hours +. Has great stereo sound and is the lightest set made. The head band has a metal frame so it won't crack at -30 or when your head hits the panel or sky light. Crash

Maintaining at Flight Level Zero, requesting lower...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Talked to Mark at Lightspeed yesterday... He said that the best ANR for a Cub is the QFR CrossCountry... I like the 20 XL because the batteries last 50 hours and it has automatic shut-off... The CrossCountry doesn't have these functions... Mark said that Lightspeed will have a new CrossCountry with these functions out in the spring...

Post Thanks / Like
    I have had the portable version of DC's ANR headset, for 6 or 7 years. It runs on 4AA batteries. I really like this headset. I have it set into a DC helmet, which also reduces some noise. Noise reduction, for me, really reduces fatigue. I have this plugged into a portable Sigtronics intercom. When I replaced my intercom all of my interminent radio problems went away, FWIW. pak

Post Thanks / Like

Headsets

Glad to see the topic change to headsets. I've used Pilot 76's for the past three years with excellent results. A little heavy since the battery is in the ear cup, but nice noise canceling capability. Wanting to eliminate the weight, I have now tried the Panther earpieces which allows you to hear thru one ear and speak thru the other ear. Yes, you can speak thru your ear. Some people can even speak thru another body orifice. I have had a major problem with other pilots hearing me because of background noise in this unit. The custom earplugs seal out noise better than a noise canceling system, but the system control is giving some type of feedback. The people at Panther have been very willing to try and correct the situation. They now have my set for the second time trying to eliminate the feedback. A friend of mine also purchased the unit and is experiencing the same problem. It is not our radios, he has a new Citabria and I sent my radio in for a check up. Anyone else try this system yet ? Other than the feedback, the concept is great. No mic in your face and almost no weight in the ear pieces.

Post Thanks / Like
    Stan...

Interesting, is there a webpage for Panther?...

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    My headsets seem to take a beating in my super cub. seems like after a year or so of getting trompped on, thrown around etc they quit working. I got tired of always buying good ones and treating them like this. SOOO..
    after seeing that crazy ad for those cheap " cosmetically flawed" headsets in GAN and TAP for all these years, I finally broke down and bought a couple. Actually aren't that bad. I even found the cosmetic flaw. ( a sticker saying Made in Taiwan. Ha Ha If anyone actually buys these kind. ( and they must cause they've had that ad for years), when they try to sell you the extra pad for the headband for another $5.00 say no. they come with it anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok! I have had the Flightcom Denali ANR headset for a couple of weeks. I have flown in my cub with them for about 12 hrs. They work great! occasionally I get a little pop-pop noise (found out that happens only if I don't have a real good earseal?

I am going to take them back however! The lack of auto-shut off is a real detriment, (as I have already once left them on and the battery went dead!) Also I got to thinking? the only thing in my plane that is 9volt is the headset? my mag lights, camera are all AA? So I checked prices and the Lightspeed XL20 is actually less money, does just as good a job and uses AA batteries. It also has a battery meter on the battery pack. Should have the replacement Friday.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Tim:

I bought a pair of Lightspeed XL25's at OSH in July and have had good luck with them. You're right about the auto-shutoff. Without it, I'd always be dead in the water. Does the little windsock work for keeping out wind noise when the windows are open? If so, I've gotta get a couple.

murph

Post Thanks / Like
    Murph, this is from my previous post...

"Talked to Mark at Lightspeed yesterday... He said that the best ANR for a Cub is the QFR CrossCountry... I like the 20 XL because the batteries last 50 hours and it has automatic shut-off... The CrossCountry doesn't have these functions... Mark said that Lightspeed will have a new CrossCountry with these functions out in the spring..."

The reason Mark suggested the XC is because I fly with the window open most of the time... He wrote me back again and said that the new XC with the 20XL features will be out within the next 2 months...

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you have any idea on the price of the QFR model?
    I have been quoted $409 for the XL20

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Tim...

Chief gets $395. for the 20 XL... The XC is around $250. on the street, but I'm sure the new and improved XC will be more...

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Dave,

Just got back from Pacific Avionics, traded my Denali's for the XL20! $400. They definetly are quieter and more comfortable. I flew home 30minutes and thought I was in a different plane!

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Careful Tim!...

Now you won't hear the rattlers in the gorge!... When I'm up in that area (northeast of the gorge) I carry a very short .410 just for that reason...

Post Thanks / Like
    Tim, can you hard wire that headwet?? I've never seen one before. How big is the battery box. I have my jacks in the upper left hand wing root panel. Can I use that headset without having wires everywhere?? I'm looking at Chiefs catatlog right now, but doesn't show a picture of the wiring. Any idea how they compare to the David Clarks. I know they are less money, but they'll probably last me a long time, or are would I just be spending more money for a name?
    Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Brian, Can't speak for the DC's but I believe that these are some of the least expensive! They have earcups that look exactly like Oregon Aero's only they are a little softer. I will post a picture of the battery box and post it. I have those little 3m sticky clips that are removable to hold the wires. My buddy uses a velcro strap to tye the box to the Xbrace. My friend just got back from AK an flew 470 hours, 10hrs a day with his and he said the average time batteries lasted was 60+hours!. their is a battery meter, and volume controls built into the battery box that is aproximately 3"X1-1/4"x1"so hard wiring it might be a challenge, howerver a mount that would only expose the face is quite possilbel however getting to the batteries would be a little awkward?

So far his recomendation was great!

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, thanks Tim, sounds good. Thanks for posting the pic.
    Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Brian here are a couple shots of the XL20

Post Thanks / Like

Light Speed Headsets

Hey Guys, Ive had two Lightspeed 20XL ANR headsets in my cub for close to a year. HIGHLY RECOMMEND. The bat saving auto shutoff is a great feature. The back seat headset always seems to be the one that is left on.Also have found unpluging back seat headset when solo with door open will prevent an open mic on the intercom.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's my 2 bits. I obtained a Telex ANR4105D this spring. The plus side: Very, very, comfortable. Excellent noise attenuation. Fairly light weight. Not pistachio pudding green (sorry DC guys). Battery lasts at least 30 hrs. if the module is unplugged. Only real downside: Battery module. Small clip on unit, kind of cheesy. One 9v battery, will be dead if left on overnight. But hey, I have to remember to shut the master switch off, I can remember to unplug my headset.

I would definitely buy one again, or the new Telex 50-D.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    I gave $389 each for XL25's during special at Osh. and got a neat little carrying case for 2 sets.

murph

Post Thanks / Like
    Heck with the saving should be no problem buying a set of "biggy" tires!

I will mount them for you when you get here while you relax in my hottub, and Cody is taking my Daughter to a movie? She has been looking for a Handsome, polite, respectful, conservative, country boy with class?

She also does excellent back rubs, so the long flight from TX won't even seem like more than an hour?

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Tim, Your leaving yourself wide open. LOL.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Tim:
    You make the best offers. I sure hope Cody doesn't read this. And thanks for accurately describing Cody.

murph

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve, Not to worry, I have a mighty good grip on the Model 870 and the sweat heart of a Daughter of mine is as tough as she is cute. She went over to her Prom Dates house the day after the Prom and told his mom and dad that he ought to learn to quit lying, and that they might ought to teach him how to treat a lady before seeking another date!

You would think she was from TX? No just born and breed in Alaska! Sorry Diggler, Respect for ladies and not lying means a lot to us! Character does matter.

Tim