• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Super Cub Paint Schemes

I personally prefer to not have to deal with polyurethane or enamel as trim color materials, when shot onto dope. I don't want to have to deal with it when repairing small fabric dings....

...But I understand the effect of having a forever-shiny trim color.... If your eye see's the glint off the polyurethane trim color, it makes you think the whole a/c is shiny.

Anyone check out that giant decal that CC put on the "Raffle" Cub?

The wide upper red stripe along the fuselag side behind the window is a decal printed with all the "sponsors".

The main decal color is red, and the sponsor logos are in white.

from 50 feet it looks like a bunch of seagull crap, conveniently squirted from a perch atop the upper corner fabric forming stringer.

That decal might be tough to repair if a rock got up there.

Dave Calkins.

Anybody know where to locate the various paint schemes for the different years of supercubs? Thanks in advance!

John

My Personal Favorite "factory Paint scheme on my 79 cub (makes the cub look bulky and "buff")

Tim

N82555.jpg

Hey Tim, I thought it was your big tires that "makes the cub look bulky and buff"...I like that paint scheme too, nice picture....

I'll also agree with the earlier posts on this thread that I personally think the Factory schemes usuallt suit planes better than what some people come up with (unless it had other value on a bushplane for the reasons previously mentioned)... But as long as the person owning it likes what you have thats thier decision on what they paint, and I'll admit I've definatly seen some pretty UGLY :eek: paint jobs on all types of planes.

David

Crash,
Did you paint the 14 in the original scheme? I know my 12 won't look original. I'm leaning toward Cub yellow with Cub black stripes. I think that'll look $10K BETTER than original.
SB

Mine has a base coat of insignia white. The white is covered with orange/yellow and trimed in christian eagle red. The base coat of white makes the yellow more bright and sharp. I have the stock scheme with the two stripes along the fuse. I do like yellow especially with a touch of red/orange. Lemon yellow is too light and cub yellow isn't bright enough, for me. I have seen yellow with maroon(USC's colors) and yellow with green that looked very sharp. I orginally figured that my colors would be easy to spot. This time of the year it really blends with the fall colors and wouldn't ever being seen if I was in the trees.pak

I'm starting to think that as long as a Cub isn't painted like that Charley Center PA-12 that was on the cover of NORTHERN PILOT, it'll probably be OK.

Certainly nothin' against Charley, it's just that I'm sure the owner paid a bit for the artist's design work on the scheme, but it didn't make it look like anything but the modern art at a university campus.

Stewart B....A fat yellow Cub, with a black lightning bolt? I'll give you $10K, but not $10K more.

All in jest, I don't care what you look like, but I'll definitely be able to see you if it's yellow.

Dave Calkins.

PA12driver said:
If I were to paint a cub this day in age, with all the folks just waiting to turn a guy in, I recomend that you paint yours the same as the majority in the area--"Wasn't me??" could save your license?

Tim
There are five J-3's (including mine) in about a 30 mile radius of me, I have the only red and white one 8) .

I'm just getting to the covering on my Daytona Cub and I was wondering if there is a website or publication that shows the various Super Cub paint schemes? I am fairly new to cub ownership and I am still trying to learn as much as possible.
Thanks,
Mark

At our 1st re-cover in 64', we went with Pontiac Red & Daytona White (got it from the early 60's Piper brochure). The plane looked great . . until we parked next to a "spam can". The cub no longer looked white. And at fly-in's the "lookers" asked how old the paint job was . . they though it looked faded. We recovered after 18 yrs. and went Insignia white. You can park next to anthing . .and it looks great. Also . . the fade factor is greatly reduced compared to Daytona. The Pontiac Red will darken after 10+ years, but not as bad as the darker reds (1959 schemes, etc.) Insignia still is very bright after 18 yrs (if hangared). Paint schemes are personal preference . .just like most other things. I couldn't stand the 59' scheme ours came from the factoray with . . but just love the early 60's. And other cub drivers just love the dark . . . older schemes. So . .yes it is not original anymore . . . but you know . . . doesn't seem to stop others from "ooh and ahhing" . .and asking if it is for sale. Viva la difference.

Where can I find a good overview of the different paint schemes?

I bought the Northland CD and there I can find which color was used which year, but the detailed exterior paint drawings are not included.

Here's an idea, Steve. How about a calendar showing pictures of Super Cubs as they rolled out of the factory, as far back as you can go? I would buy one.

R Johnson

I thought that I was the only guy with a J-3 that was red & white. Mine has a starbusrt design on the top of the wings. Been mistaken for a Decathelon a couple of times. Mines a 1939 with metal spar and C-85, whats yours?

Pat

O.K., here's a challange for you. I have a '54 L-21B that spent it's first 25 years with the Italian Army (you know, only dropped once?) I like the idea of original paint, but not particularly crazy about camo and Italian roundels. My buddy, Chuck Boedeker, has one from the same squadron that is all original, and it attracts a lot of attention. I plan to leave the greenhouse, for sure. Mine currently has a semi-stock civilian scheme on it, but seems a little out of place. Have considered the U.S.A.F. scheme (yellow with U.S. roundels) but just not sure. One objection to the military scheme is that I occaisionally like to tour Baja. I hear that they still suspect revolution when they spot a milspec paint job down there. Don't care to get shot down! Open to suggestions.

Plenty of Cubs in this area have greenhouse glass with late model or early model schemes.

They don't look out of place at all.

Personally, the history of your a/c would be better intact with the original scheme, especially if your buddy flies his with you often.

Always personal preference, though, eh?

My L18C is from Holland. Someone over there sent me some pics of the original scheme. Yuk, I didn't like it at all. baby puke green and brown. The one I fly is white with red lightening bolt. Haven't decided on a scheme for my project yet.

j3m20c175 said:
R Johnson

I thought that I was the only guy with a J-3 that was red & white. Mine has a starbusrt design on the top of the wings. Been mistaken for a Decathelon a couple of times. Mines a 1939 with metal spar and C-85, whats yours?

Pat
Pat,
Mines a 46' J-3 w/ wood spars, and has a C-65. I fly up to Lone Rock WI (LNR) for breakfast quite a bit and the spam can guys always ask how I like my supercub. It has a red and white 52'-54' Supercub design on it :x-mas:

RobW56 said:
I think that this is the best scheme and colors for a Super Cub.

awx.sized.jpg
That's pretty much identical to a local friends 18-135! Problem is, as he said to me on Tuesday when he landed on skis here on my field, "nobody will find you if you go down in the snow". Also was surprised to see how quick that white wing frosted up. He was clean when he landed in the sun, came in my workshop for maybe 20 minutes. It had clouded over in that short time and we had to wipe the leading edges down with a cloth before he took off as it had already formed a light frosting in that short time. There are definite pros to a colour of any sorts on at least the leading edge section, if not the entire wing and stab.

Cheers,
Wayne

I see this paint scheme as the "classic" Super Cub scheme and that's what I've considered for quite a while.

Which year is this? There are the -55, -56, -58 etc paint schemes. So I know which exterior paint drawing I should order from the Cub Club...

/Mattias

Paint

I did my PA-14 in the 1978 ('77 had only one stripe) to 83 Piper factory PA-18 paint scheme. I looked at a lot of PA-12/14's and most of the paint schemes made them look fat. Actually they they are fat, but there are ways to hide it and make the plane look sleek. The '78-83 paint scheme has long bold stripes that catch the eye and make you loose focus on the rest of the mass. That is why I went with it. If Stuart puts the little J-3 lightening bolt on the side of his PA-12, it'll look like a fat chick in a thong!! I am again using the '78-'83 scheme on my '77 PA-18. I like it, it looks good and is easy to do. Crash

I agree with Crash.

It's tough to make a -12 or -14 look as thin and sleek (??HA) as an -18.

The wide upper stripe of the '78-'83 scheme takes your eye away from the extra 12/14 width at the doorposts.

I fight myself back and forth between red wings for visibility in snow, and white overall color for simplicity of layout and shooting.

I love the '58 scheme, but it's alot of masking work.

The '78-'83 scheme is a good allround choice, but the wings need to be red to melt the frost and for visibilty in snow.

This topic will always still be PERSONAL PREFERENCE, practical, or not.

DAVE

I am about to rejuvinate and repaint. Anyone know of any classy, subtle additions that they have seen on classic cub schemes that they have thought looked nice ( ie. pinstripes,decals etc.)

ground loop said:
I am about to rejuvinate and repaint. Anyone know of any classy, subtle additions that they have seen on classic cub schemes that they have thought looked nice ( ie. pinstripes,decals etc.)

I used decals and masks from Action Sign and Graphics in Anchorage when we repainted the cub this summer. They either have or can make just about any decal or mask that Piper ever used. I recommend them highly.

irishfield said:
That's pretty much identical to a local friends 18-135! Problem is, as he said to me on Tuesday when he landed on skis here on my field, "nobody will find you if you go down in the snow". Also was surprised to see how quick that white wing frosted up. He was clean when he landed in the sun, came in my workshop for maybe 20 minutes. It had clouded over in that short time and we had to wipe the leading edges down with a cloth before he took off as it had already formed a light frosting in that short time. There are definite pros to a colour of any sorts on at least the leading edge section, if not the entire wing and stab.

Cheers,
Wayne

I don't have the snow problem to deal with down here in Vancouver, Wa. But I have had to wipe down the white wings on my 120 due to frost that had quickly formed. If I really wanted a super cub that someone could spot easily if I went down in the snow I'd do a yellow scheme like this-

aaa.sized.jpg

Back