• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA-12 Wish List

Diggler, There are "some" very unhappy folks who delt with Interior Pacific in the last 6 months prior to their going under. As for the quality of there work they did "Excellent quality" work.

The problem that lead to their demise was poor business planning and Government Banks! John is building parts and I wish him the best in his quest to start selling "new manufacture" replacement parts for the J4, PA12 and 14!

I have personal experience with John and I think highly of his work!

Tim

Tim, airplanes' broke :( , so I was probably looking up. I recognize your airplane from the EAA fly in, very nice ride. Jim

cruiser said:
In regard to PA-12 gas tanks and their problems, I am curious why no one mentions the PMA'd tanks being built by Clarence Witte in Illinois as an option. I am interested in his 24 gallon tanks, seems like a good quantity to me. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with these tanks? Good or bad? Jim

I had the opportunity to meet Clarence last month and look at his 24 gallon tanks in the process of being built (they are STC'd for 12 and 14, I think). I'm no expert in aluminum, but they appear to be very well built, good strong welded seams and internal ribs as baffles. They require a few modifications to the wing,
</br> 1. adding a brace similar to the PA-18 which runs through the middle of the tank diagonally from the rear wing root to the front spar outboard of the tank ,
</br> 2. moving a fore-aft brace farther outboard,
</br> 3. modifying the butt brace (might be the wrong name for the two square tubes at the root
</br> 4. installing forward and aft fuel lines for each tank (which apparently causes problems for those with left side doors).

This process cannot be accomplished without pulling the wings, and cannot use univair ribs in the tank bay area (Piper or Dakota are okay). He also builds direct replacement (PMA'd) tanks if you want to go back with "19" gallon tanks.

Don't look for Clarence on the web, he doesn't "do" e-mail. He said to look at his ads in the Cub Club newsletter for contact information, but if you haven't joined (I haven't) his shop address is 201 N First, Neponset, IL 61345.

24 Gal Fuel Tanks

I have a pair of 24 gallon tanks and wrap around leading edges on order now from Clarence Witt, to fit my PA14. Both of these upgrades come with an STC. I spoke with Clarence yesterday, and they are apparently shipped via UPS, so I should be seeing them in the next week or so. I did send him 2 compression members from each wing, as the ends had to be modified. I will post a reply as to the quality, and ease of install.

I was also considering ordering his Scott 3200 tailwheel/spring mod, but held off until I saw the quality of the tanks and leading edges. By the way, I ordered the tanks with sight gauges, and I found his prices to be very competitive (24 gal tanks @ $850 each, and leading edges for both wings @ $250).

John

John........I purchased a swing out PA-11 mount for a 0-200 from Clarence Witt a few years back and the quality was very good. What's the Scott 3200 tailwheel/spring mod he is offering........what's that all about? Thanks
Brian

John,
If you have the means, I'd be interested in knowing how much the tanks actually hold, that is, is the 24 gallons usable or from empty to gas cap full?

Once you get them installed in your wing I'd also be curious how far the drain extends below the rib. I haven't seen his tank actually in a wing, but the sump in the tank looked deep enough that it might move the drain below wing level.
Thanks,
Kenneth

PA14driver,

Do you know if his tanks are STC'd for the 12 as well?? are the guages same as a SC?

Am I to assume the fuel system is Cross vented at the tank? and are both tanks plumbed front and rear?

Thanks

Tim

I have seen Clarences 3200 tail wheel setup recently. Custom springs, arched, bushed, exc. I can't give all the exact details because I really don't know, but it looked like a very good, strong installation and worked well.

Tim, his tanks, 19 and 24's are STC'ed for the 12, SC or stock gauge setup, plumbed with all the outlets, you just plug the ones you don't need.

PA12/14 - 24 gal Fuel Tanks & other Modifications

The STC #'s for Clarence Witt's PA12/14 modifications are:

SA01333CH - installation of 24 gallon fuel tanks for the PA12/14. Note that header tanks are not required. In my case, I already installed header tanks before I became aware of this mod, so I intend at this time to leave them in. Both fuel gauge options are available - sight or electrical.

SA00805CH - installation of 19 gallon fuel tanks for the PA12/14.

SA01074CH - installation of wrap around leading edges for the PA12/14.

SA01063CH - installation of Scott Model 3200 Tailwheel with the AESI P/N T.S. 05P Tail Spring for the PA12/14.

SA01104CH - installation of shortened swing type engine mount (this is a straight or conical mount) to fit a Lycoming 150/160 HP installation, for the PA12/14. I am not sure how much the mount is shortened.

Mark Drath covered pretty much everything I am aware of on the tailwheel mod. As to the capacity of the fuel tanks, I will measure them up, and calculate the volume. When I spoke to Clarence prior to ordering them, he said they were all of 24 gallons, and actually a little more.

Clarence's (Air Energy Service) business phone # is 309-594-2280, and he does have an answering machine, so you can always leave a message.

John

24 Gallon Fuel tanks PA12/14

I just received the fuel tanks and leading edges I ordered from Air Energy/Clarence Witt. All of the material was very well built, and included all of the STC paperwork. It was well packaged, and hence no damage.

The tank dimensions are the same as the originals, approximately 34" long by 29.5" wide. The big difference is in the depth of the tanks. My calculations indicate that each of the tanks hold slightly more then 24 US gallons of fuel, from empty.

For comparison, I weighed each of the following empty fuel tanks, using a digital bathroom scale that unfortunately indicates to the nearest pound only.

18 gal Piper PA22 Fuel Tank (Aluminum) - 11 pounds
19 gal Piper PA12/14 Fuel Tank (Ternplate) - 16 pounds
24 gal Air Energy PA12/14 Fuel Tank (Aluminum) - 17 pounds

John

Hello, I am a new member with a PA-12 project going. This thread is a great source of info, although 15 years old. Most of these web sites don't work anymore. Is there a newer source for some of these sites?

Thanks

Welcome! There's a few different PA12 threads on here, some very recent. Tell us more about your project! Where's Hunters, WA?
John

Hi John, I bought a 46 Super Cruiser that someone else started a rebuild on. The fuselage is still bare other than the cabin inside has been done. I may tear that out and redo it all myself. I worked as an A&P in Wrangell Alaska back in the 70's. So I'm not current but have an IA/A&P friend to check my work till I'm current again. Nothing like an extra set of eyes to look for problems. I don't fly anymore so I'm rebuilding this PA-12 to eventually sell it. I plan on doing the mods that need done before recovering. Cabin X brace, skylight, weld on float fittings, and any others that will help it sell. I plan on a 0-320 engine and at least -18 tailfeathers, maybe square. I will probably use the -12 landing gear, if someone wants big tires then they can buy want they want. I also have a Champ 7GCB fuselage to cover for a friend, so I will be busy. Hunters is in Eastern Wash near Lake Roosevelt 65 miles northwest of Spokane.
George

I knew I'd heard of Hunters...I have friends in Springdale. Sounds like a good project! I've got one going together very slowly over here too... but it had a bunch of mods done in the 70's, so most of the stuff is done, I'm just redoing what is not quite done the way it should be and a few other mods along the way.
John

Back