• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Garmin GDL50

stewartb

Wish they had done that sooner, less clutter. I have an Xmas antenna on the dash and a GDL39-3D mounted back in the battery compartment on my Super Cub and love not seeing the fickel finger of fate (Garmin antenna) sticking up on the dash. Works well using the WiFi connection and am wondering if the 50 would work the same back there... humm

Last edited:
Was thinking of ordering a GDL 39 to go with my 660. What are the advantages of the 3D?,or now maybe I should look into the GDL 50. Did Garmin add new technology to the 50 or just appearance. Thanks in advance. Chuck

The "3D" adds ADAHRS (air data and altitude/heading reference system) to the ADS-B functions. If you use your Garmin for synthetic vision the difference between the GDL39 and the 39-3D is night and day. In Garmin Pilot it also provides a digital HSI if you prefer that view of a horizon reference to the synthetic vision view.

From my light reading it looks like the GDL50 is the same as a 39-3D in a new housing and perhaps has better battery life. My 3D is hard wired so I have no reason to replace what I have based on what I've read.

The bigger change is to the 50R over the 39R. My G3X has a 39R (remote version of the GDL39) for ADS-B in functions but it doesn't have ADAHRS. Not a big deal since the G3X has a magnetometer for the ADAHRS and that info is translated to my iPad but the 50R has it's own ADAHRS would provide a redundant/independent backup to my iDevices using Bluetooth. Is that important? Probably not, but we're all suckers for marketing and just because it may not be important doesn't mean I don't want it. :)

For you lower-48 guys I'd think the GDL52 would be the hot setup. ADS-B, TIS-B, FIS-B, WAAS GPS, ADAHRS, and XM weather all from a little box that's pretty affordable. If I upgrade my 39R it'll be tempted to use the GDL52(R).

The "3D" adds ADAHRS (air data and altitude/heading reference system) to the ADS-B functions. If you use your Garmin for synthetic vision the difference between the GDL39 and the 39-3D is night and day. In Garmin Pilot it also provides a digital HSI if you prefer that view of a horizon reference to the synthetic vision view.

From my light reading it looks like the GDL50 is the same as a 39-3D in a new housing and perhaps has better battery life. My 3D is hard wired so I have no reason to replace what I have based on what I've read.

The bigger change is to the 50R over the 39R. My G3X has a 39R (same as the GDL39) for ADS-B in functions but it doesn't have ADAHRS. Not a big deal since the G3X has a magnetometer for the ADAHRS and that info is translated to my iPad but the 50R has it's own ADAHRS would provide a redundant/independent backup to my iDevices using Bluetooth. Is that important? Probably not, but we're all suckers for marketing and just because it may not be important doesn't mean I don't want it. :)

For you lower-48 guys I'd think the GDL52 would be the hot setup. ADS-B, TIS-B, FIS-B, WAAS GPS, ADAHRS, and XM weather all from a little box that's pretty affordable. If I upgrade my 39R it'll be tempted to use the GDL52.

Stewart, I think it’s “attitude “ not “altitude “.

Lou

Interesting that they’ve decided to replace the 39 3D. The synthetic vision didn’t work that well in my experience. Not nearly as well as the 6 pack panel page. The last software update helped quite a bit but it still has a hard time holding the horizon, in my experience. Maybe this new model fixes a problem that software updates couldn’t?

Interesting that they’ve decided to replace the 39 3D. The synthetic vision didn’t work that well in my experience. Not nearly as well as the 6 pack panel page. The last software update helped quite a bit but it still has a hard time holding the horizon, in my experience. Maybe this new model fixes a problem that software updates couldn’t?
Only problem I have had is it sometimes the screen gets jumpy but then I cut back on it's coffee intake and it settles right down.

I'm leaning toward
the GDL-82 ADS-B out gizmo.
I wouldn't mind seeing
some installation reports on it if anyone's gotten one yet.

Wish they had done that sooner, less clutter. I have an Xmas antenna on the dash and a GDL39-3D mounted back in the battery compartment on my Super Cub and love not seeing the fickel finger of fate (Garmin antenna) sticking up on the dash. Works well using the WiFi connection and am wondering if the 50 would work the same back there... humm

Sorry to revive an old post...

I have a GDL39 3D and a Garmin 796 for my '51 PA18 currently being rebuilt. These portables were hand me downs so I'd like to make use of them. I'd like to put the GDL in the back battery compartment as you describe above, but I was thinking about getting a wiring harness to run up to the 796. I didn't notice a WiFi connection option, I thought it was bluetooth only.

Also, how's the reception for the GDL in the back there? I'm assuming you don't have it sticking outside or anything wacky like that.

Lastly, what's an "Xmas Antennae"?

Thanks!

Sorry to revive an old post...

I have a GDL39 3D and a Garmin 796 for my '51 PA18 currently being rebuilt. These portables were hand me downs so I'd like to make use of them. I'd like to put the GDL in the back battery compartment as you describe above, but I was thinking about getting a wiring harness to run up to the 796. I didn't notice a WiFi connection option, I thought it was bluetooth only.

Also, how's the reception for the GDL in the back there? I'm assuming you don't have it sticking outside or anything wacky like that.

Lastly, what's an "Xmas Antennae"?

Thanks!

XM antenna, I hate autocorrect...

i have no no complaints with the unit mounted back behind the battery in my cub, it works good but it does work better when on the dash of my 180.

I just bought a GDL 82 for out, GDL50 for in. The 50 is dirt simple to Bluetooth with the 660, targets came right up, and the synthetic vision is great. The 82 is more of a handful for a do it yourself. You have to program the info into it, N. number and other info. You have to build a cable , and not screw up the pin placement. You have to use a usb to a square USB adapter cable. There are big letters from Garmin that says don't screw Up The pin out placement or it will eat itself. In the end I opted to let my IA mess with the setup. I plan to install it myself, Going to try the short factory antenna garmin says maybe it will work if not will mount a blade antenna
,My advice is the 82 is not a do it yourself project. For the most part.

jim

The stand up antenna is for ADS-B. GPS antenna is internal. ADHRS shouldn't be affected by the location. I've never used the 39-3D anywhere but on my glare shield in the 180. Worst case if it isn't picking up ADS-B in back would be to separate the antenna and add a 6' extension cord and place the antenna in the skylight. There's nothing wrong with a GDL39-3D even with it being discontinued. You should consider wiring it for ship's power, especially with a remote installation.

Pages 3-7 thru 3-9 in the manual discuss accessory antenna options.

The stand up antenna is for ADS-B. GPS antenna is internal. ADHRS shouldn't be affected by the location. I've never used the 39-3D anywhere but on my glare shield in the 180. Worst case if it isn't picking up ADS-B in back would be to separate the antenna and add a 6' extension cord and place the antenna in the skylight. There's nothing wrong with a GDL39-3D even with it being discontinued. You should consider wiring it for ship's power, especially with a remote installation.

Pages 3-7 thru 3-9 in the manual discuss accessory antenna options.
When using it in from the turtle deck and I have the synthetic vision turned on (796) the display twitches a little bit and when on the dash it doesn’t making me think either the gps signal reception is degraded or perhaps the WiFi back to my 796 could maybe be better in the Cub but you don’t see any degradation on the Wx screens.

Regardless of how you get it, it’s a great back up for weather to XM when on like today on a bumpy ass skud run and my XM connection (I deffinately prefer XM Weather and tunes) went Tango Uniform but I still had the ADSB Wx and my I-phone plugged into the intercom aux for tunes to give me the confidence to go up and over the bumps while keeping me entertained.

Anyone have problems charging the GDL50? Garmin asked me to take the unit back to the dealer. Awesome kit, just hoping a quick question might avoid a trip to the dealer and shipping it back and replacing it and....

Anyone have problems charging the GDL50? Garmin asked me to take the unit back to the dealer. Awesome kit, just hoping a quick question might avoid a trip to the dealer and shipping it back and replacing it and....
I charge mine using a usb cable, but it takes awhile. Power light stays red until it's blank and fully charged. Runs a long time on internal power in my j3 bluetoothed to my Aera 660.
I have the two hardwired together using Garmin cable in my super cub and plugged into ships power which keeps both fully charged.
Jim

Sent from my SM-T827R4 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

It is an awesome tool, mine just will not charge.

I am am moving into the 2010s....next I will use headsets and maybe even those fancy ones that make black noise.

I just bought a GDL 82 for out........The 82 is more of a handful for a do it yourself. You have to program the info into it, N. number and other info. You have to build a cable , and not screw up the pin placement. You have to use a usb to a square USB adapter cable. There are big letters from Garmin that says don't screw Up The pin out placement or it will eat itself. In the end I opted to let my IA mess with the setup. I plan to install it myself, Going to try the short factory antenna garmin says maybe it will work if not will mount a blade antenna. My advice is the 82 is not a do it yourself project. For the most part.

Thanks for the feedback.
The local shop installed a GDL82 a few months ago,
I was disappointed to see that a special antenna-to-GDL cable had to be made up,
plus a special pigtail to hook onto a laptop for programming.
All of that is inclining me more and more toward a uavionix "Tail Beacon",
if and when they get the STC, TSO, or whatever approval it needs for installation on a factory airplane.
It appears to be much more of a "plug and play" installation,
and for about the same price as the GDL82.

A follow up. Spoke with Garmin Tech support. Asked me to ship in my unit(I did)and I already have the replacement unit. As warranty and customer service goes, Garmin did well. They tech helped me troubleshoot the issue and then when after reasonable try offered to replace the unit.

GDL50 is still a nice unit with good support.

Back